Fun ideas for picnics

balshan

My husband and I will take a sandwich and a cup of tea in a travel mug and sit by the bay and just relax and enjoy watching the wild life etc. Other times we will be a more elaborate and take deli meats and salad. There is gardens on a hill where you can watch the kangaroos if you time it write, go to the mountains and try and protect your food from the kookaburras. I had one sit on my arm for 15 mins, eyeing my food. We are not allowed to feed them.

What foods to others like to enjoy on picnics?

I always liked a salad; either traditional potato salad made the day before or I used to make "South of the Border Potato Salad." I don't think I still have the recipe, but from memory there was no mayo, no celery, and no hard boiled eggs. The vegetable oil had dried ground cayenne seasoning. I think it had drained canned whole kernel corn and sliced ripe olives. I might have made sandwiches with cold leftover meatloaf(yum). I really don't remember sandwiches. Hubby rarely ate them. Cold fried chicken would have been wonderful!

I often brought Wacky(aka Crazy) cake for my sweet tooth if we had the kids with us. My husband wasn't addicted to chocolate. He hardly ever needed dessert because at home, he drank coffee all day long with plenty of cream and sugar. When we were out he liked to stop at Dairy Queen and order soft serve vanilla ice cream cones.

My husband didn't care for any kind of tea ever. He called it a forbidden food. I don't actually remember, but we probably had soft drinks (cola or another flavor).

I always liked a salad; either traditional potato salad made the day before or I used to make "South of the Border Potato Salad." I don't think I still have the recipe, but from memory there was no mayo, no celery, and no hard boiled eggs. The vegetable oil had dried ground cayenne seasoning. I think it had drained canned whole kernel corn and sliced ripe olives. I might have made sandwiches with cold leftover meatloaf(yum). I really don't remember sandwiches. Hubby rarely ate them. Cold fried chicken would have been wonderful!

I often brought Wacky(aka Crazy) cake for my sweet tooth if we had the kids with us. My husband wasn't addicted to chocolate. He hardly ever needed dessert because at home, he drank coffee all day long with plenty of cream and sugar. When we were out he liked to stop at Dairy Queen and order soft serve vanilla ice cream cones.

My husband didn't care for any kind of tea ever. He called it a forbidden food. I don't actually remember, but we probably had soft drinks (cola or another flavor).
That sounds yummy. I prefer not to have soft drinks I will admit. Though on rare occasions if it is extremely hot I will enjoy a cold soda water. That sounds like you enjoyed those days.

When the boys were younger we often took a bbque with us and cooked snags, steak or chicken with salad. These days we prefer simple. The boys enjoyed sweets but on our picnics I tended to take fruit, again it was to keep things simple. Of course when the kids were young we took cricket sets and balls etc.

We were going to have a picnic this week, with our eldest son and his family, at a local park which has things like flying foxes for the kids but the rain has not stopped. It is meant to be nice weather at this time of year. But it is rain. Some poor people look like they will not be back in their homes this Xmas because of the flooding.

It is rare in this country to complain about rain and we are normally a brown country and now we are green.

The first year we were married it seemed to rain every Saturday! We were at work Monday through Friday and had very little rain, but we both hoped to go places on Saturdays. In the eighties we finally bought a van. If it rained we could eat in the van. My husband barely ever ate fruit and I catered to him, but he loved ice cream and always looked for a place that served ice cream. Our four children took after their dad. As Mormons we weren't allowed coffee, tea, or alcohol. My last stepfather was an alcoholic so I still don't buy alcohol. I avoid soft drinks now even artificially sweetened.

I'm sorry your weather didn't cooperate with your plans. The only sport my husband participated in was basketball. He enjoyed spectator sports: baseball and football (American). He had hip surgery and back surgery while in the military.

Last edited:
The first year we were married it seemed to rain every Saturday! We were at work Monday through Friday and had very little rain, but we both hoped to go places on Saturdays. In the eighties we finally bought a van. If it rained we could eat in the van. My husband barely ever ate fruit and I catered to him, but he loved ice cream and always looked for a place that served ice cream. Our four children took after their dad. As Mormons we weren't allowed coffee, tea, or alcohol. My last stepfather was an alcoholic so I still don't buy alcohol. I avoid soft drinks now even artificially sweetened.

I'm sorry your weather didn't cooperate with your plans. The only sport my husband participated in was basketball. He enjoyed spectator sports: baseball and football (American). He had hip surgery and back surgery while in the military.
That was a great idea. With 3 sons we had to have activities to keep them occupied. When they weren't looking through rock pools or hiking.

We are not big drinkers my dad was an alcholic, also my system does not like fruit of the grape. I will have an odd glass but it is rare.

Yes there are floods everywhere. Some people have had to live through 4 floods in one year. I was brought up RC we had to eat fish on Fridays, but drinking was fine. I am so glad God removed me from it.

I like to have pik-nik on a picnic - plus other times too.

I also really like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

LOL. I have never had a peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches. Not something eaten in this country but I have a granddaughter who eats one but she loves her ipad.

But I am sure yogi bear would love those sandwiches.

I never heard of Pik-Nik, but when we were traveling to other states with my mother and stopped for gas, I always requested or looked for pecan pies and didn't care how the nut was pronounced! I like Cheetos, too, but never buy them.

Peanut butter and jelly is an American standby. Weren't peanuts orginally from Afrca? My grandfather liked them with the red skins on them sprinkled over vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate syrrup. My mother loved PayDay candy bars when her kids were grown.

I never heard of Pik-Nik, but when we were traveling to other states with my mother and stopped for gas, I always requested or looked for pecan pies and didn't care how the nut was pronounced! I like Cheetos, too, but never buy them.

Peanut butter and jelly is an American standby. Weren't peanuts orginally from Afrca? My grandfather liked them with the red skins on them sprinkled over vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate syrrup. My mother loved PayDay candy bars when her kids were grown.
I have never heard of pay day candy. I looked up where peanuts originate, it seems Brazil or Peru. I mean macadamia are Aust. but a lot of people think they originated in Hawaii but no it was exported there.

We have a picnic bar:
1667076685851.png

I assume they are similiar to the PIK Nik bar.1667076685851.png

I'm glad you found out about peanuts, Balshan! Now I've learned something new.

"Peanuts originated in South and Central America where they were used as special offerings and mixed into foods and drinks as early as 1500 B.C. Eventually, European explorers discovered the tasty and versatile legume and brought peanuts back to their homeland to enjoy and distribute to Asia and Africa."

I never investigated Macadamia nuts. They were my husband's favorite! Sometimes I gave him a jar as a Christmas gift. I put the jar in a box and wrapped it with Christmas paper.

1667084422914.png

I'm going to my kitchen now. I want something to eat, but I know there isn't any fruit except canned applesauce. :(

I'm going to my kitchen now. I want something to eat, but I know there isn't any fruit except canned applesauce. :(
I can no longer eat apples which is a shame. That is sad but understandable. We buy fortnightly because we have our groceries delivered and it is easier. So by the end of the fortnight the berries are gone.

Back