Genesis 6:5-7 What happened here with God?

Joe

"The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” (Gen 6:5-7)

I've heard many on this board defend their belief that God determines every thought and action of man and yet in Genesis 6:5-7 it seems that He does not, unless God determines things and is later regretful and sorry for His determinations.

IF God determines every thought and action of man, then He is the one who caused verse 6, "...the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually". Is this really the work of God, who by His determination before the world was made fatalistically caused the wickedness of man and all that came with it by His determinations? Under determinism these people did exactly what God made them do. They had no other option than to be greatly wicked and evil of heart continually.

We continue reading and understand that God regretted making man on the earth and it grieved Him to His heart. Now why would God regret and be grieved making man IF man is doing exactly what He determined for them to do, each thought and action?

Continuing we understand God in His regret was sorry for making man and was going to blot man out, eliminate mankind.

Did God make a mistake and regret it later to the point that He was going to eliminate man?

For the Calvinist, what happened here with God? Why did He seem surprised, regretful, and grievous if man is doing exactly what He made them to do?

God bless
Please note: My time is very limited. My responses may be slow or selective.

"The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” (Gen 6:5-7)

I've heard many on this board defend their belief that God determines every thought and action of man and yet in Genesis 6:5-7 it seems that He does not, unless God determines things and is later regretful and sorry for His determinations.

IF God determines every thought and action of man, then He is the one who caused verse 6, "...the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually". Is this really the work of God, who by His determination before the world was made fatalistically caused the wickedness of man and all that came with it by His determinations? Under determinism these people did exactly what God made them do. They had no other option than to be greatly wicked and evil of heart continually.

We continue reading and understand that God regretted making man on the earth and it grieved Him to His heart. Now why would God regret and be grieved making man IF man is doing exactly what He determined for them to do, each thought and action?

Continuing we understand God in His regret was sorry for making man and was going to blot man out, eliminate mankind.

Did God make a mistake and regret it later to the point that He was going to eliminate man?

For the Calvinist, what happened here with God? Why did He seem surprised, regretful, and grievous if man is doing exactly what He made them to do?

God bless
God Meant All which came to pass for Good; but the World Meant All which came to pass for Evil; things like eating, drinking and giving into marriage. Imagine God meaning Marriage for Good but the World Meaning it for Evil? There is a distinction drawn in All that came to pass, IE the hearts of God and the World; I'm sure you agree...

God could rightly Judge the Fallen World, because he meant better...

God bless
Before you expect answers to your post correct your errors. Explain, God was going to blot man out, but He didn’t, we’re still here.

Then maybe stop assuming you know Calvinism, let a Calvinist speak for Calvinism. You assume to a Calvinist, God seemed surprised, regretful etc….
Why should we answer? Haven’t you already answered for the Calvinist?

Lol, you keep your responses slow and selective.

Before you expect answers to your post correct your errors. Explain, God was going to blot man out, but He didn’t, we’re still here.

Then maybe stop assuming you know Calvinism, let a Calvinist speak for Calvinism. You assume to a Calvinist, God seemed surprised, regretful etc….

Well quite obviously if he answered incorrectly and misrepresented Calvinism you should want to correct it

That has nothing to do with the issue presented. Perhaps you should reread the OP and try to explain your belief system.

Then maybe stop assuming you know Calvinism, let a Calvinist speak for Calvinism.
Again, perhaps you should reread the OP.

I stated: For the Calvinist, what happened here with God? Why did He seem surprised, regretful, and grievous if man is doing exactly what He made them to do?

So speak up! You have been asked!
You assume to a Calvinist, God seemed surprised, regretful etc….
You act as if no one should challenge your beliefs because we have our own and disagree. Seems foolish considering this what the board is for, debating one's beliefs. You do it all the time, so please stop playing the victim and belly up to your keyboard and articulate an intelligent response that merits anyone's attention.

Yes, my time unlike yours evidently is very limited. I thought it open and smart to advise posters of my lack of time on CARM.

God bless

That has nothing to do with the issue presented. Perhaps you should reread the OP and try to explain your belief system.

Again, perhaps you should reread the OP.

I stated: For the Calvinist, what happened here with God? Why did He seem surprised, regretful, and grievous if man is doing exactly what He made them to do?

So speak up! You have been asked!

You act as if no one should challenge your beliefs because we have our own and disagree. Seems foolish considering this what the board is for, debating one's beliefs. You do it all the time, so please stop playing the victim and belly up to your keyboard and articulate an intelligent response that merits anyone's attention.

Yes, my time unlike yours evidently is very limited. I thought it open and smart to advise posters of my lack of time on CARM.

God bless
As soon as you come out with something worth discussing, I will.
Especially one where you let calvinists speak for calvinists. ?

You know nothing about my time. Let me speak of my time, for myself .
Thanks ?

God Meant All which came to pass for Good; but the World Meant All which came to pass for Evil; things like eating, drinking and giving into marriage. Imagine God meaning Marriage for Good but the World Meaning it for Evil? There is a distinction drawn in All that came to pass, IE the hearts of God and the World; I'm sure you agree...

God could rightly Judge the Fallen World, because he meant better...
Ok, many here have argued God determines every thought and action of man. I have even read it from Calvinist leaders. So what I'm understanding you to be saying is different from them; that God only determines the good, but the world not being determined by God in any way decides and acts on it's own volition. Is this accurate?

God bless

Ok, many here have argued God determines every thought and action of man. I have even read it from Calvinist leaders. So what I'm understanding you to be saying is different from them; that God only determines the good, but the world not being determined by God in any way decides and acts on it's own volition. Is this accurate?

God bless
That is Calvinism

Compatibilism is a form of determinism and it should be noted that this position is no less deterministic than hard determinism. It simply means that God's predetermination and meticulous providence is "compatible" with voluntary choice. Our choices are not coerced ...i.e. we do not choose against what we want or desire, yet we never make choices contrary to God's sovereign decree. What God determines will always come to pass (Eph 1:11)...
Compatibilistic Determinism - Monergism

www.monergism.com/compatibilistic-determinism

God bless
That's close...

I am not saying that God Meant the Human good but didn't Mean the Human Evil. I'm saying that God Meant the Divine Good in All of the World's Deeds; such as eating, drinking and giving into Marriage. I don't think I can say God Meant the Thoughts of the World, because the Bible says it never entered the Mind of God to Cause (Primary Causation) Judah to Sin. God is the Primary Causation of All the World's Deeds; but he Meant it for Good. The only Act the Bible mentions God Meaning it for Divine Good, is Joseph and his brothers. I say this example explains God's Providence in All which comes to pass...

Last edited:
That's close...

I am not saying that God Meant the Human good but didn't Mean the Human Evil. I'm saying that God Meant the Divine Good in All of the World's Deeds; such as eating, drinking and giving into Marriage. I don't think I can say God Meant the Thoughts of the World, because the Bible says it never entered the Mind of God to Cause (Primary Causation) Judah to Sin. God is the Primary Causation of All the World's Deeds; but he Meant it for Good. The only Act the Bible mentions God Meaning it for Divine Good, is Joseph and his brothers. I say this example explains God's Providence in All which comes to pass...
How does your compatibilist view understand Genesis 6:5-7? Didn't God determine man would be wicked in Calvinism?

God bless

How does your compatibilist view understand Genesis 6:5-7? Didn't God determine man would be wicked in Calvinism?

God bless
I would say that God didn't Determine that Man would be Wicked, I think that would Conflate to it entering the Mind of God to Cause Judah to Sin...

I think the Passage says God 'saw' that the thoughts and intentions of the World's hearts were only Evil continually; IE when they ate, drank, gave into marriage, etc. This is similar to when God saw that Abraham Feared him; IE now God knew. If we can begin to fathom God being both Omniscient and knowing Abraham's heart in Time, we can equally fathom God seeing the Pre Antediluvian World and THEN knowing of their Wickedness...

Are we having fun yet?

God bless
Is sin in this world by the will of God, Joe?

I would say that God didn't Determine that Man would be Wicked, I think that would Conflate to it entering the Mind of God to Cause Judah to Sin...

I think the Passage says God 'saw' that the thoughts and intentions of the World's hearts were only Evil continually; IE when they ate, drank, gave into marriage, etc. This is similar to when God saw that Abraham Feared him; IE now God knew. If we can begin to fathom God being both Omniscient and knowing Abraham's heart in Time, we can equally fathom God seeing the Pre Antediluvian World and THEN knowing of their Wickedness...

Are we having fun yet?

No .....

Back