God, both Father and Son, and a physical body

Common Tater

I've asked this question on another thread and gotten no response. I know Adventists believe that God the Father has always possessed a physical body. Did Jesus as the pre-incarnate God the Son also possess a physical body? Did/do the angels possess a physical body? I would like Adventists to reply with a definitive yes or no, and feel free to provide biblical support for your answer. Thank you.

pythons

Good luck getting an answer to your question Common Tater.

Its been my observation that you'll have to start quoting Ellen White where she says that believing the Father Being, the Son Being & the Lucifer Being always had physical bodies AND that this teaching was "A PILLAR" that meant everything to the SDA Faith. Once you start quoting those Ellen White statements a small fraction of SDA's will provide apologetics for it.

Common Tater

Its been my observation that you'll have to start quoting Ellen White where she says that believing the Father Being, the Son Being & the Lucifer Being always had physical bodies AND that this teaching was "A PILLAR" that meant everything to the SDA Faith. Once you start quoting those Ellen White statements a small fraction of SDA's will provide apologetics for it.
I'm waiting with baited breath for an Adventist to respond.

Common Tater

It doesn't take too long to realize there is a gaping hole in the logic of God the Father, God the Son, and Lucifer always having had bodies. God created both time and space. How did those bodies exist before space did? And if God the Son had a body prior to the Incarnation, what happened to it when He came to this earth as Jesus? How can God be omnipresent if He is confined to the space His body occupies? Also, how does the Holy Spirit exist outside the body? And if He can, why can't our spirits when we lay these earthly bodies down?

pythons

Some cut bait to prompt the discussion.

Some have difficulty in reconciling Christ's statement in John 14 : 28, " My Father is greater than I," with the idea that He is God, and is entitled to worship. Some, indeed, dwell upon that text alone as sufficient to overthrow the idea of Christ's divinity ; but if that were allowed, it would only prove a contradiction in the Bible, and even in

Christ's own speech; for it is most positively declared, as we have seen, that He is Divine. There are two facts which are amply sufficient to account for Christ's statement recorded in John 14: 28. One is that Christ is the Son of God. While both are of the same nature, the Father is first in point of time. He is also greater in that He had no beginning, while Christ's personality
had a beginning”. Present Truth December 18, 1890

Ellen White:

"Christians should bear in mind that God has a personality as verily as has Christ. They should so represent Christ's person and conduct that by doing His works they will manifest the character and spirit of the Father. Christ is the express image of His Father's person and character.--Manuscript 130, 1902, p. 11. (Diary, "Christ's Example in Every Line of Work," October 27, 1902.)

RH October 8, 1903
OF late the question has repeatedly come to me, Does it make any real difference whether we believe in the personality
of God, as long as we believe in God? My answer invariably is, It depends altogether upon the standpoint from which we view it. If from the Spiritualist's, -the Christian Scientist's, the Universalist's, or if from the standpoint of any other " ist" or " ism," it makes but little or no difference.
But from the standpoint of Seventh-day Adventists it makes all the difference in the world

Adventist Review and Herald Oct 8,1903
"The doctrine of the Personality of God IS the fundamental doctrine of the Scriptures..."
...""NEITHER was this image of God a mere concept; FOR the Bible declares that the Lord has PARTS, THE SAME AS the human body"."OUR EXISTENCE as a people is FOUNDED on a belief in the truths stated above
".

Ellen White

entreat every one to be clear and firm regarding the certain truths that we have heard and received and advocated. The statements of God's Word are plain. Plant your feet firmly on the platform of eternal truth. Reject every phase of error, even though it be covered with a semblance of reality, which denies the personality of God and of Christ. {RH, August 31, 1905 par. 11}

So, its clear that according to Ellen White the "Personality of God" is an "eternal truth"...
...The Personality of God is a fundamental and Landmark teaching.
...To reject Father God's tendon or nostril is to "go adrift w/out an anchor".

Ellen White
Those who seek to remove the old landmarks are not holding fast; they are not remembering how they have received and heard. Those who try to bring in theories that would remove the pillars of our faith concerning the sanctuary or concerning the personality of God or of Christ, are working as blind men. They are seeking to bring in uncertainties and to set the people of God adrift without an anchor. {MR760 9.5}

Common Tater

Should some Adventist want to address my questions on this issue, here is another one. Why would the Personhood of God the Father be diminished if He did not possess a physical body? Adventists accept that the Holy Spirit is a Person (although it took a very long time to come around to that belief), and yet they also accept that the Holy Spirit does not possess a physical body.

Common Tater

Should some Adventist want to address my questions on this issue, here is another one. Why would the Personhood of God the Father be diminished if He did not possess a physical body? Adventists accept that the Holy Spirit is a Person (although it took a very long time to come around to that belief), and yet they also accept that the Holy Spirit does not possess a physical body.
Crickets.

pythons

I'll chum the water a bit more.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church throughout the life of Ellen White was decidedly Anti-Trinitarian...
...The PRIMARY reasoning for this was the influence of the "Christian Connexion" teachings.
...I.E. taking Father God's flesh body away from Him wasn't like Pantheism, IT WAS PANTHIESM.
...Christian Connexion was also Militantly ARIAN.

It was reasoned by the early Adventists that Father God had a hominid flesh body with "members & parts"...
...As in every organ, bone & appendage that a perfect human man would have - literally!
...God was a REAL PERSON that had a REAL PERSONALITY.

This SDA Doctrine was called "THE PERSONALITY OF GOD".

Now, observe what Ellen White said about the importance of SDA "PILLARS" & how even masses of Scripture can't budge them.

Ellen White
We are NOT to receive the words of those who come with a message that contradicts the special points of our faith. They gather together a mass of Scripture, and pile it as proof around their asserted theories. . . . And while the Scriptures are God's word, and are to be respected, the application of them, IF such application moves one pillar from the foundation that God has sustained these fifty years, is a great mistake. He who makes such an application knows not the wonderful demonstration of the Holy Spirit that gave power and force to the past messages that have come to the people of God” (1SM 161; CW 32; The Early Elmshaven Years 426).

The PRIMARY pillar AKA the most important Doctrine to SDA's was that Father God was a "BEING"...
...This "BEING" was composed of "MEMBERS & PARTS", i.e. spleen, liver, nose arms, legs, etc.
...In other words God WASN'T SPIRIT, God = The Father = Flesh hominid God.

Father God was one Being, Michael the archangel was another Being and Lucifer was also said to be a Being along with all the other angels.

Below Ellen White confirms the PERSONALITY OF GOD was one of the Pillars of the Seventh-day Adventist Church...
...Ellen doesn't mince words here - she is very direct.

Ellen White
Those who seek to remove the old landmarks are not holding fast; they are not remembering how they have received and heard. Those who try to bring in theories that would remove the pillars of our faith concerning the sanctuary or concerning the personality of God or of Christ, are working as blind men. They are seeking to bring in uncertainties and to set the people of God adrift without an anchor. {MR760 9.5}

The General Conference Archives are saturated with lengthy articles condemning the Trinity Doctrine...
...Specifically because it was claimed that it "DESTROYED THE PERSONALITY OF GOD".
...Because the Trinity Doctrine holds that The Father, Son & Holy Spirit are ONE IN NATURE or Substance.

The SDA's believed that God was ONE in the same way a Family is ONE Family - Mom, Dad, 4 kids and despite 6 "BEINGS" its understand as ONE FAMILY. This is exactly what the Mormons believe and no theologian worth their salt would boast Mormons accept the Trinity LOL!. Mormons believe God is one in the same way Jesus prayed that His Disciples would be ONE. In other words each BEING was a SEPARATE BEING so you have multiple gods.

Formersda

Tumble weed blowing.....

pythons

The oddity as yet to be explained is that the SDA anti-Trinitarian Pioneers...
...Identified the teaching that Father, God, Michael & Lucifer had bodies of flesh.
...PRIOR TO THE INCARNATION of Michael.

AND,

That this specific teaching was "THE PILLAR" upon which SDAism was both built and based...
...They even went so far as to called the Flesh hominid God "THE SABBATH GOD".
...& the Trinitarian God (without body and parts) "THE SUNDAY GOD".

The definition of "Pillar" = "A firm upright support for a superstructure"

If the Seventh-day Adventist Church was based off of a heretical understanding of God (which SDA historians now agree was the case)...
...And the Pillar doctrine upon which the Sabbath & Sanctuary doctrines were built from.
...How is this flesh God NOT in the current Fundamental Beliefs?

There is possibly an answer to this quandary an SDA Theologian could provide...
...It is an interesting question and the answer to it would give birth to would be interesting.
...If someone out there knows the answer to this it would be great to post up a link or something.

SDAchristian

Tumble weed blowing.....
AV Jn 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Thanks for the acknowledging compliment !!!

Yours in Christ, Michael

pythons

My question isn't meant as a trap or anything like that & I'll even explain why I'm asking.

I can accept that Ellen White didn't create or think up ANY SDA Doctrines...
...From my own research I can agree with SDA's who say this, that Ellen didn't.
...The anti-Trinitarian SDA Pioneers created (thought up) the Doctrines.
...& Ellen White "defined" those doctrines as truth.

It's been proven that the SDA Pioneers militantly taught that Father God had an actual body with members and parts...
...As in actual organs (nostrils, stomach, digestive tract, etc) including sexual organs.
....And that this belief was REQUIRED - It was the Pillar doctrine upon which all else was built.
....The SABBATH & The Sanctuary required this Flesh God doctrine.

Ellen White defined the Personality Of God Doctrine as the Truth and of such importance...
...The Personality of God Doctrine was /is incompatible with the Doctrine of the Trinity.
...This was said repeatedly by the SDA Pioneers and confirmed by Ellen White.

Why isn't the Personality of God Doctrine in the Fundamental Beliefs (aka Creed of SDA)?

SDAchristian

Prologue:
Thanks to @Common Tater for giving me mental time before now, to get ready to discuss this topic. And for your patience since April !!!
My question isn't meant as a trap or anything like that & I'll even explain why I'm asking.
I can accept that Ellen White didn't create or think up ANY SDA Doctrines...
...From my own research I can agree with SDA's who say this, that Ellen didn't.
...The anti-Trinitarian SDA Pioneers created (thought up) the Doctrines.
...& Ellen White "defined" those doctrines as truth.
It's been proven that the SDA Pioneers militantly taught that Father God had an actual body with members and parts...
...As in actual organs (nostrils, stomach, digestive tract, etc) including sexual organs.
....And that this belief was REQUIRED - It was the Pillar doctrine upon which all else was built.
....The SABBATH & The Sanctuary required this Flesh God doctrine.
Ellen White defined the Personality Of God Doctrine as the Truth and of such importance...
...The Personality of God Doctrine was /is incompatible with the Doctrine of the Trinity.
...This was said repeatedly by the SDA Pioneers and confirmed by Ellen White.
Why isn't the Personality of God Doctrine in the Fundamental Beliefs (aka Creed of SDA)?
Thank you for sharing this !!!

I need some time for prayer and study from your comments and shared evidence. Of which, I may ask for your bibliography of references, or not. In developing, an suitable apologetic answer.

"I'll even explain why I'm asking.", That would help me to address your concerns better, if you would. Cut down verbal banter to center the discussion to salient points.

1. The first thing that came to mind is, GOD's permissive will during this season of sin/rebellion.

AV Jer 17:9-10 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it? 10 I the LORD search the heart, [I} try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, [and] according to the fruit of his doings.

2. The second thing is evidence over time for vindication, recorded for all creatures, to end the season of sin without objections.

AV 1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

3. The third thing is promoting empathy from created humans to GOD's point of view, in the absence of an absolute reference of truth("No man hath seen God"). In the presence of Lucifer's lies. This is what got Eve and Adam started down this path.

This started with Lucifer, at the exactly moment Lucifer turned in his heart, against GOD, GOD understood the consequences in GOD's understanding of Love for all of creation. GOD started to make permissive will choices, that would impact the rest of all creation in the whole created universe.

I need to work with this some for a rebuttal. There is no one besides Jesus that shares knowledge in 100% Truth and Love. Not even Adventists in GOD's permissive will over time. And EGW said something like, eternity is not long enough for our own minds to contain it.

Yours in Christ, Michael

pythons

Thanks SDAChristian, take all the time you need.

To reduce it down even further my question goes like this.

The SDA Church, while Ellen White was alive, was anti-Trinitarian & the SDA Pioneers described in great detail...
...Why they rejected the Doctrine of the Trinity - They believed that "God" was "Father only" & believed.
....Father God had a literal flesh body with members & parts (actual organs).

The SDA's would "call out" and repudiate the Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist & Orthodox Church Creeds...
...Because those Creeds were unanimous in affirming God was a simple substance with no body or parts.
...The SDA's believed the historic Creed "destroyed Father God's body" aka "The Personality of God".
...They were most clear in affirming the Trinity doctrine was incompatible with the Personality of God Doctrine.

They reasoned that the Spirit of Prophecy defined the Personality of God Doctrine as truth....
...Thus, after Ellen's visions of Father God having a body 'with members and parts'.
...The case was closed - Father God was an actual Person with a body, composed of organs, bone, etc.

Fast forward to today where SDA laypeople, historians and employees of the SDA Church are candid...
...That the SDA Church taught heresy & generations of SDA's died as heretics pertaining to the Trinity.
...That admission can be seen here:

"Moon and Burt raise awareness that the anti-Trinitarianism that predominated among the early Adventists was not a momentary lapse in doctrinal understanding, a lapse that Ellen White could easily correct with the stroke of a pen, but a heresy that has lasted for generations. Many children of the Adventist Movement, as Seventh-day Adventists, descended into the grave six, seven, and eight decades later believing that the Son and Holy Spirit are lesser beings. We should infer from Moon and Burt’s historical overviews that there is still a struggle between Trinitarians and anti-Trinitarians in the Seventh-day Adventist Church."

Like I said I'm not trying to trap anyone here so I'm showing / explaining where I'm coming from with my question.

The SDA's today (from my understanding) will not repeat the Nicene Creed or even the Apostles Creed in Church...
...Every time they mention "The Trinity" they add that their version of the Trinity is "Biblical" whereas -
....The Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc. Trinity is NOT Biblical.

The SDA's I've watched participating in symposiums (officially) claim that the Historic Trinity Doctrine...
...Was hopelessly corrupted by Paganism and as such is Luciferian, Babylon, etc.
...Of course they hold up their claimed "Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity".
....And in THIS WAY claim to accept, hold to the Trinity Doctrine.

However, when one looks at the SDA Doctrine of the Trinity it's not like the Mormon teaching - it IS the Mormon teaching.

The Mormon's teach that God is ONE like a military unit is ONE, ONE in mission, purpose, etc.

From an outsider looking in at the SDA Doctrine of the Trinity one could conclude that SDA's were HONEST in admitting their mistake in teaching heresy for generations, HOWEVER, it would seem they were forced to reinterpret the Trinity Doctrine and pour in a new and alien meaning to protect the Prophet status for Ellen White. i.e. SDA's claim to hold to the Trinity Doctrine but it's a totally different Doctrine than a Baptist, Methodist or frankly ANY Evangelical Christian would say is the Trinity.

Hope that adds some context for ya. No rush in answering.

Common Tater

Prologue:
Thanks to @Common Tater for giving me mental time before now, to get ready to discuss this topic. And for your patience since April !!!

Thank you for sharing this !!!

I need some time for prayer and study from your comments and shared evidence. Of which, I may ask for your bibliography of references, or not. In developing, an suitable apologetic answer.

"I'll even explain why I'm asking.", That would help me to address your concerns better, if you would. Cut down verbal banter to center the discussion to salient points.

1. The first thing that came to mind is, GOD's permissive will during this season of sin/rebellion.

AV Jer 17:9-10 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it? 10 I the LORD search the heart, [I} try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, [and] according to the fruit of his doings.

2. The second thing is evidence over time for vindication, recorded for all creatures, to end the season of sin without objections.

AV 1Jn 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

3. The third thing is promoting empathy from created humans to GOD's point of view, in the absence of an absolute reference of truth("No man hath seen God"). In the presence of Lucifer's lies. This is what got Eve and Adam started down this path.

This started with Lucifer, at the exactly moment Lucifer turned in his heart, against GOD, GOD understood the consequences in GOD's understanding of Love for all of creation. GOD started to make permissive will choices, that would impact the rest of all creation in the whole created universe.

I need to work with this some for a rebuttal. There is no one besides Jesus that shares knowledge in 100% Truth and Love. Not even Adventists in GOD's permissive will over time. And EGW said something like, eternity is not long enough for our own minds to contain it.

Yours in Christ, Michael
Why am I asking? God existed before space and time. God created space and time. A physical body occupies three-dimensional space. How did God have a body before He created space?
Also, Adventists such as James White said that God had to have a physical body in order to have a "personality" (his word). Ellen White wrote in 1846 that "I saw a throne, and on it sat the Father and his Son Jesus Christ. I gazed on Jesus’ countenance and admired his lovely person. . . . I asked Jesus if his Father had a form like himself; He said he had, but I could not behold it." (“Letter From Sister Harmon,” Day-Star, March 14, 1846). It was not until the 1890s that she began to speak of the Holy Spirit being a Person.
Adventists recognize the Holy Spirit as being a Person and yet not having a body. If God the Father and God the Son are required to have a physical body in order to have Personhood, how does the Holy Spirit exist as a Person without one?
If God the Son had a physical body before He came to the Earth as the infant Jesus, what happened to His body?
Do angels have physical bodies? I know they can appear to people in physical form, but do they always have physical bodies. Think of your guardian angel as you answer this.
Myself personally, I think Adventists have a problem here.

“God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24 NASB

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. Colossians 1:15 NASB

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:17 NASB

SDAchristian

Prologue:
I could discern pythons' candid concerns. I replied in kind. Will I have others' eisogesis making a mess from my words, we will see. I already know the answer from EGW writings. Let us see what happens.
Thanks SDAChristian, take all the time you need.
Hope that adds some context for ya. No rush in answering.
Thank you for that kindness in patience !!!

I was Literature Evangelist for a while. "They" would recommend reading and reading again, the Books we sold. Plus I added, as much other writings as I could afford, plus SDA Commentaries.

I could see a pattern developing as I read and studied as prayerfully as I could. Which I still hold on to, to this day.

I have a structured order of precedence of authority within the Bible, and extra Biblical content, which is primarily EGW writings and SDA church writings. I also use outside sources for Greek and Hebrew lexicon usage, to work with the word structures as used by those writers.

The biggest problem to date is eisogesis, as noted in your comments. Namely SDA pioneers, of which EGW, did do as well. I have stated this in other versions of past CARM BBSes. EGW was shown revelations from GOD, but a young EGW gave literal descriptions of visions. Then EGW and pioneers offered the best of what they could in explanation, but it was sometimes mixed with eisogesis. EGW used other writers works, to conceptualize and then verbalize what she saw. This includes doctrines from churches past. As you have previously noted. But I will also say, I have come to recognize GOD's permissive will directing us to a concentric Jesus. We are all scattered around the circle, but we are converging towards Jesus as we get closer to the end. Sad to say, but Satan has his circle too for his followers.

I personally still have authority issues with creeds created for the purpose of teaching doctrine, which I share with a number of fellow believers. In my opinion, a false sense of authority is created, that transmutes stealing GOD's authority into man's authority, which was inspired by the father of lies(Serpent did this to Eve, so Eve saw her authority above GOD's.). But I will give you that, Adventists have done the same authority sins(Like dealing with William Miller leftovers, being consumed by the early SDA Church.), by not using more spiritual resources to work through the implications of those doctrines. So we are, our Mother's daughter as well. At midnight, we will see who were wise and who were foolish.

I came to CARM to do apologetics as pure from the scriptures, as I could get. Over the years, I have matured my understandings and techniques, by all the discussions in the past. I do miss @DrPatti and others.

It should be clear, but I will say it. No One has the authority to set aside GOD's Own Word written with GOD's Own finger, namely the Decalogue. It should be noted throughout the NT scriptures, Bible writers still reference it. Anyone using their own authority to transmutes GOD's authority, sets off my spiritual alarms.

Well, I need to gets some rest. I know, I omitted most of the scripture support for saying these things, but we are running out of free will choice time in this season of sin.

Yours in Christ, Michael

pythons

SDAchristian said:
The biggest problem to date is eisogesis, as noted in your comments. Namely SDA pioneers, of which EGW, did do as well. I have stated this in other versions of past CARM BBSes. EGW was shown revelations from GOD, but a young EGW gave literal descriptions of visions. Then EGW and pioneers offered the best of what they could in explanation, but it was sometimes mixed with eisogesis. EGW used other writers works, to conceptualize and then verbalize what she saw. This includes doctrines from churches past. As you have previously noted. But I will also say, I have come to recognize GOD's permissive will directing us to a concentric Jesus. We are all scattered around the circle, but we are converging towards Jesus as we get closer to the end. Sad to say, but Satan has his circle too for his followers.

I've read quit a bit of SDA history & in particular Ellen White's version of it and from what I've been able to tell....
...Uneducated anti-Trinitarians brought in multiple doctrines they wanted the SDA to accept / hold as truth.
....Ellen White would sift through these "doctrines" & through her charism 'DEFINE truth from error'.

Ellen White
At that time one error after another pressed in upon us; ministers and doctors brought in new doctrines. We would search the Scriptures with much prayer, and the Holy Spirit would bring the truth to our minds. Sometimes whole nights would be devoted to searching the Scriptures and earnestly asking God for guidance. Companies of devoted men and women assembled for this purpose. The power of God would come upon ME, and I was enabled clearly to define what is truth and what is error. As the points of our faith were thus established, our feet were placed upon a solid foundation. We accepted the truth point by point, under the demonstration of the Holy Spirit. I would be taken off in vision, and explanations would be given me. I was given illustrations of heavenly things, and of the sanctuary, so that we were placed where light was shining on us in clear, distinct rays.--Gospel Works, p. 302. {3SM 32.1}"

So, individuals that SDA Scholars and theologians today admit were outright heretics brought in heretical doctrines....
...& Ellen White 'defined' some of these heretical doctrines as truth - & past that said they were vital to salvation.
...The Personality of God is one of those SDA Doctrines that Ellen defined as truth.
... & as Common-Tater pointed out - Ellen said Jesus told her Father God has a body.

What I see online these days is SDA Evangelists trying to get as much mileage as they can out of the word Trinity....
...Claiming THEY [ the SDA's } BELIEVE IN THE DOCTRINE OF THE TRINITY - just like the Catholics do.
....Which by the way is JUST LIKE the Methodists, Baptists, all Evangelical Churches, Lutherans, Orthodox, Catholic.

Then when SDA theologians hold symposiums on the Trinity they define their Trinity its NOT like the Evangelicals believe...
...In fact its so radically different than what Evangelicals, Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans and others believe.
...Term Trinity shouldn't even be used.

This is the area I'm focusing in on Michael - the SDA teaching [confirmed by Ellen] that Father God is a flesh hominid "Being" and that prior to the Incarnation of Michael the archangel Michael the archangel was also a flesh hominid being - like Lucifer was a flesh hominid being.

The following video may help you to understand a bit more where I am coming from when I say I believe God is simple and can't consist of any parts.

JonHawk

I've read quit a bit of SDA history & in particular Ellen White's version of it and from what I've been able to tell....
...Uneducated anti-Trinitarians brought in multiple doctrines they wanted the SDA to accept / hold as truth.
....Ellen White would sift through these "doctrines" & through her charism 'DEFINE truth from error'.

Ellen White
At that time one error after another pressed in upon us; ministers and doctors brought in new doctrines. We would search the Scriptures with much prayer, and the Holy Spirit would bring the truth to our minds. Sometimes whole nights would be devoted to searching the Scriptures and earnestly asking God for guidance. Companies of devoted men and women assembled for this purpose. The power of God would come upon ME, and I was enabled clearly to define what is truth and what is error. As the points of our faith were thus established, our feet were placed upon a solid foundation.
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness; 2 Tim 3