God complex, and belief Joseph Smith is a God.

And yet you said you wouldn’t have believed it when they said God told them to stop polygamy.
Yes, as in the testimony that at the time we would be living the Law of God in section 132. Even if I wasn't a practicing Polygamist I would to this day; and acknowledge its truthfulness as the spoken word of God to Joseph Smith.

Yes, as in the testimony that at the time we would be living the Law of God in section 132. Even if I wasn't a practicing Polygamist I would to this day; and acknowledge its truthfulness as the spoken word of God to Joseph Smith.
Then you don’t believe the Mormon prophet who said God told them to stop.

I have no idea how it came about.... I would speculate promptings, spiritual revelation, etc.
LOL, or the Edmunds-Tucker Act, which would have allowed the feds to take all the churches assets over 50k. Do your homework, it is on the church's website.

LOL, or the Edmunds-Tucker Act, which would have allowed the feds to take all the churches assets over 50k. Do your homework, it is on the church's website.
Awe, what has this to do with me not knowing how it came about.... your only speculationg again Markk, your reading into history and at the same time admitting you were not there... validation my friend, validation.

Awe, what has this to do with me not knowing how it came about.... your only speculationg again Markk, your reading into history and at the same time admitting you were not there... validation my friend, validation.
Focus, it is how it came about. The Feds passed the Act, in which it threatened to take all the churches assets over 50K. The had to give in or lose almost all their capital and assets. This is just fact. It has everything about not knowing how it came about or you would not have said what you did...do your homework.

Focus, it is how it came about. The Feds passed the Act, in which it threatened to take all the churches assets over 50K. The had to give in or lose almost all their capital and assets. This is just fact. It has everything about not knowing how it came about or you would not have said what you did...do your homework.
Actully you need to dig a little deeper Markk, the facts include the right to join the Union of States... chuckle.
It would be nice if you really would focus yourself and share all the details good buddy.

In 1882 and 1887, Congress passed laws to force the Church to abandon its support of multiple marriages (which never involved more than 20 percent of adult males). These laws did other things as well. They barred polygamists from jury service, voting, or holding office. They allowed evidence of a defendant's reputation to secure a conviction for polygamy. They permitted a wife to testify against her husband. They revoked the right of women to vote (which had been established in 1870 by the Utah territorial legislature). Finally, they took away the territorial charter of the Church, which allowed the federal government to confiscate its property and turn it over to the public schools.

Altogether, more than 1,000 men were convicted, fined, and imprisoned for being married to more than one wife.

Mormon leaders understood that if they continued to resist the anti-polygamy laws, Utah would never become a state. Therefore, in 1890, the president of the Mormon Church issued a "Manifesto" calling for the Latter-Day Saints "to refrain from contracting any marriage forbidden by the law of the land." This, and assurances separating the church from the state, finally removed congressional objections to statehood, and led to the admission of Utah into the Union as the 45th state in 1896.

Actully you need to dig a little deeper Markk, the facts include the right to join the Union of States... chuckle.
It would be nice if you really would focus yourself and share all the details good buddy.
Ralf, I gave you the data...it is the Edmunds Act...google it and learn, It will take a day or two of reading and study...but just do it. This is Mormonism 101...you claim you study yet have no clue on simple LDS history.

Again, I warmed you that you are not ready for this conversation.

In 1882 and 1887, Congress passed laws to force the Church to abandon its support of multiple marriages (which never involved more than 20 percent of adult males). These laws did other things as well. They barred polygamists from jury service, voting, or holding office. They allowed evidence of a defendant's reputation to secure a conviction for polygamy. They permitted a wife to testify against her husband. They revoked the right of women to vote (which had been established in 1870 by the Utah territorial legislature). Finally, they took away the territorial charter of the Church, which allowed the federal government to confiscate its property and turn it over to the public schools.

Altogether, more than 1,000 men were convicted, fined, and imprisoned for being married to more than one wife.

Mormon leaders understood that if they continued to resist the anti-polygamy laws, Utah would never become a state. Therefore, in 1890, the president of the Mormon Church issued a "Manifesto" calling for the Latter-Day Saints "to refrain from contracting any marriage forbidden by the law of the land." This, and assurances separating the church from the state, finally removed congressional objections to statehood, and led to the admission of Utah into the Union as the 45th state in 1896.
Yes ralf, they caved from political pressures exactly like I explained to which you denied. read my post to you in #252. You have claimed you have read and know all the "anti" assertions, yet you stumble on the basics.

Ralf, I gave you the data...it is the Edmunds Act...google it and learn, It will take a day or two of reading and study...but just do it. This is Mormonism 101...you claim you study yet have no clue on simple LDS history.

Yes or no Markk, did you actually read the whole Edmunds Act or just copy and paste using your usual quick glance aptitude.

Again, I warmed you that you are not ready for this conversation.
Yea I know Markk, you just can't keep from not using me personally as your scapegoat for your own failures to dig deeper, I'm sure those who follow this thread are quite aware of your own shortcomings. If you're bored as you seem to be with my lack of historical research and proving by way of sources you can validate, well you might want to cut and run.

Yes or no Markk, did you actually read the whole Edmunds Act or just copy and paste using your usual quick glance aptitude.
I did read it, I debated it in depth here with ocean coast a few years back here. If I stated something out of context with the act...let me know. Please show me where I did a quick glance. Ralf, I make efforts to understand before I post, believe it or not I am not really debating you here, but reading and studying for my own enlightenment.

Yea I know Markk, you just can't keep from not using me personally as your scapegoat for your own failures to dig deeper, I'm sure those who follow this thread are quite aware of your own shortcomings. If you're bored as you seem to be with my lack of historical research and proving by way of sources you can validate, well you might want to cut and run.
That is just silly Ralf. You are not emotionally equipped to test your faith. The church teaches Joe was a money digger and used the seer stone to translate the BoM, and it has taken me what, three or four months to get you to admit it?

Back