God's Foreknowledge

No, that is NOT what I said. You've quote mined what I said, separating one part of it from the whole of it. What I said was nothing was asked of Abrahm prior to the covenant being established and only after the covenant was established was anything asked of him AND I said that specifically and explicitly in response to the claim "a covenant is a two way obligation." There is no "two way obligation" between Abram and God in Genesis 15.

NONE

Get out your Bible, read the text, and see for yourself.

THEN amend you thinking on this matter, your doctrine on this matter, AND your practice on this matter to accord with scripture and not some extra-biblical second-hand theological commentary on the nature of a covenant. And please do not quote mine me again.

I did do that because the example you posted is not an example in any way remotely consistent with what I posted. You moved the goal posts. The episode with Isaac happened about a decade after the Genesis 17 requirement and three decades after the covenant was first established thereby proving what I said correct: any two-way obligation came only after the covenant was established and it was not a matter of negotiation.

Your selection of the Isaac episode was in fact non sequitur. It has absolutely nothing to do with any two-way obligation by which a covenant is established and because it occurred a decade after Gensis 17 and three decades after Genesis 15 and even more decades after Abram was first chosen, called and commanded to leave Ur, it has absolutely nothing to do with the establishment of the covenant. The covenant had all already been established by the time the Isaac episode occurred.

Furthermore, the Isaac episode is Christological AND monergistically so. God provided the sacrifice, not Abraham. It goes back to the vision God showed Abram wherein God Himself walked between the sundered carcasses to pledge fealty to Himself as Sovereign.

Are you familiar with the suzerain covenant ritual?

Yes, that is the report of scripture BUT it occurs decades after the covenant is reported to have first been established. It demonstrates exactly what I said: nothing was asked of Abraham until after the covenant was already established. Your example, the example you chose, proves what I posted correct.

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. Yes? The account opens with the statement, "It came to pass after these things..." Yes? What "things"? Many things, one of which is the promise of a son and the failed and disobedient attempt by Abraham do fulfill God's promises through his own fleshly means. Yes?

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. This is five chapters after the covenant requirement of circumcision. Yes?

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. This is seven chapters, at least three decades after the covenant was established in Genesis 15. Yes?

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. That is seven chapters and three decades after the covenant was established in Genesis 15 and there are NO two-way covenant obligations in that chapter. Yes?

You had to search scripture seven chapters and three decades later to come up with Isaac and doing so proved what I posted correct.

The effort also showed the dangers of accepting the extra-biblical definition of a covenant. It is ironic because that definition is very much like what Abram did in Genesis 15. He thought the animals were for the suzerain ritual covenant. Maybe they were and God would have asked for the suzerain ritual but that is NOT what the text reports. As far as the scripture stipulates, Abram did it on his own, going a step further than God asked, and resorting to a pagan ritual, the suzerain covenant ritual.

If you do not know about the ancient suzerain ritual then I will describe it and explain it, and link you to sources for a better understanding and to show the veracity of my posts. If you already know about the suzerain ritual and the fealty oath then you already know what I've posted is correct.

AND..... if you're familiar with the offerings and sacrifices to God that preceded Genesis 15 (there aren't many of them recorded) then you also know they looked much different than the suzerain covenant.

All of that is digressive. The op-relevant point is this: the Christological covenant with God is NOT a two-way obligation until after the covenant is monergistically established. That is the precedent established in scripture time and time again and again. Understanding any existing "two-way obligation" correctly is paramount, especially if we want our thinking, our doctrine, and our practice to be consistent with the whole of God's word.

• The covenant is first established.
  • It is established by God's initiation.
  • It is established by God's initiation and God's alone.
  • God chooses a person, and He chooses that person without asking them if they want to be chosen.
  • God calls that person, and He calls that person without ever asking that person if they want to be called.
  • It is only after the covenant is established that anything is asked of the creature.
  • He commands that person and never gives them the option of not obeying.
  • He starts the covenant with an individual, and wherever that covenant later applies to a group it is God alone who decides the members of that group.
  • He starts the covenant with an individual, and wherever that covenant later applies to a group it is only after the covenant is established with that group that any of them are asked anything about their participation.

ALL of that is monergistic. Any and all synergism comes only after the establishment of the covenant. That applies to Genesis 22.
He's not well-versed in these topics, your gonna pull your hair out with this person. He not going to take the time of trying to understand what your position is. He's a Calvinist basher, no matter what you say, he will disagree with it, because it's coming from those ugly Calvinist, Just a heads up.

No, that is NOT what I said. You've quote mined what I said, separating one part of it from the whole of it. What I said was nothing was asked of Abrahm prior to the covenant being established and only after the covenant was established was anything asked of him AND I said that specifically and explicitly in response to the claim "a covenant is a two way obligation." There is no "two way obligation" between Abram and God in Genesis 15.

NONE

Get out your Bible, read the text, and see for yourself.

THEN amend you thinking on this matter, your doctrine on this matter, AND your practice on this matter to accord with scripture and not some extra-biblical second-hand theological commentary on the nature of a covenant. And please do not quote mine me again.

I did do that because the example you posted is not an example in any way remotely consistent with what I posted. You moved the goal posts. The episode with Isaac happened about a decade after the Genesis 17 requirement and three decades after the covenant was first established thereby proving what I said correct: any two-way obligation came only after the covenant was established and it was not a matter of negotiation.

Your selection of the Isaac episode was in fact non sequitur. It has absolutely nothing to do with any two-way obligation by which a covenant is established and because it occurred a decade after Gensis 17 and three decades after Genesis 15 and even more decades after Abram was first chosen, called and commanded to leave Ur, it has absolutely nothing to do with the establishment of the covenant. The covenant had all already been established by the time the Isaac episode occurred.

Furthermore, the Isaac episode is Christological AND monergistically so. God provided the sacrifice, not Abraham. It goes back to the vision God showed Abram wherein God Himself walked between the sundered carcasses to pledge fealty to Himself as Sovereign.

Are you familiar with the suzerain covenant ritual?

Yes, that is the report of scripture BUT it occurs decades after the covenant is reported to have first been established. It demonstrates exactly what I said: nothing was asked of Abraham until after the covenant was already established. Your example, the example you chose, proves what I posted correct.

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. Yes? The account opens with the statement, "It came to pass after these things..." Yes? What "things"? Many things, one of which is the promise of a son and the failed and disobedient attempt by Abraham do fulfill God's promises through his own fleshly means. Yes?

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. This is five chapters after the covenant requirement of circumcision. Yes?

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. This is seven chapters, at least three decades after the covenant was established in Genesis 15. Yes?

The call to sacrifice Isaac occurs in Genesis 22. That is seven chapters and three decades after the covenant was established in Genesis 15 and there are NO two-way covenant obligations in that chapter. Yes?

You had to search scripture seven chapters and three decades later to come up with Isaac and doing so proved what I posted correct.

The effort also showed the dangers of accepting the extra-biblical definition of a covenant. It is ironic because that definition is very much like what Abram did in Genesis 15. He thought the animals were for the suzerain ritual covenant. Maybe they were and God would have asked for the suzerain ritual but that is NOT what the text reports. As far as the scripture stipulates, Abram did it on his own, going a step further than God asked, and resorting to a pagan ritual, the suzerain covenant ritual.

If you do not know about the ancient suzerain ritual then I will describe it and explain it, and link you to sources for a better understanding and to show the veracity of my posts. If you already know about the suzerain ritual and the fealty oath then you already know what I've posted is correct.

AND..... if you're familiar with the offerings and sacrifices to God that preceded Genesis 15 (there aren't many of them recorded) then you also know they looked much different than the suzerain covenant.

All of that is digressive. The op-relevant point is this: the Christological covenant with God is NOT a two-way obligation until after the covenant is monergistically established. That is the precedent established in scripture time and time again and again. Understanding any existing "two-way obligation" correctly is paramount, especially if we want our thinking, our doctrine, and our practice to be consistent with the whole of God's word.

• The covenant is first established.
  • It is established by God's initiation.
  • It is established by God's initiation and God's alone.
  • God chooses a person, and He chooses that person without asking them if they want to be chosen.
  • God calls that person, and He calls that person without ever asking that person if they want to be called.
  • It is only after the covenant is established that anything is asked of the creature.
  • He commands that person and never gives them the option of not obeying.
  • He starts the covenant with an individual, and wherever that covenant later applies to a group it is God alone who decides the members of that group.
  • He starts the covenant with an individual, and wherever that covenant later applies to a group it is only after the covenant is established with that group that any of them are asked anything about their participation.

ALL of that is monergistic. Any and all synergism comes only after the establishment of the covenant. That applies to Genesis 22.
There was a covenant between Abram and God, which if you studied you would understand that Abram violated when he brought Lot with him. God specifically told Abram to get from his kindred and fathers house.—->
Unchecked Copy Box
Gen 12:1 - Now the LORDhad said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a landthat I will shew thee:
Unchecked Copy Box
Gen 12:2 - And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

He's not well-versed in these topics, your gonna pull your hair out with this person. He not going to take the time of trying to understand what your position is. He's a Calvinist basher, no matter what you say, he will disagree with it, because it's coming from those ugly Calvinist, Just a heads up.
Wrong on every account. I believe the scriptures in context not the out of context and twisting of Calvinist deformed theology.

Wrong on every account. I believe the scriptures in context not the out of context and twisting of Calvinist deformed theology.
LoL, you just agreed with my assessment of you. You do not want a theological debate based on Biblical evidence at all. As I said before, you will never agree with that deformed theology of those ugly Calvinists. No matter what they say!

So, please, I do not want to participant in any discussion with you. It's a waste of time.

Good day!

LoL, you just agreed with my assessment of you. You do not want a theological debate based on Biblical evidence at all. As I said before, you will never agree with that deformed theology of those ugly Calvinists. No matter what they say!

So, please, I do not want to participant in any discussion with you. It's a waste of time.

Good day!
Theology is a way for those who don’t want to keep the totality of scripture in context to believe what they want to. Scripture does not contradict scripture like many make scriptures do by pitting scripture against scripture so they can build their house on sand.

Good day!

Yep, they have a tendency of wanting to be gratuitously and unncessarily rude and insulting, never willing to even acknowledge reasonable alternative interpretations of their proof-texts, and never willing to acknowledge other passages which strongly support our doctrines.

I don't know whether the reason for this is the use of sock puppets, or other reasons, or a combination.

I try to minimize my interactions with such people (and am apparently privileged by somehow getting myself on LN's "ignore" list) and occasionally post Scriptures or interpretations of the benefit of the lurkers, but they tend to misinterpret such interaction as some sort or "promise" to answer every stupid question they want to ask, or make bankrupt claims of, "See? They have no answer!"

Good day!
Ditto. Good day.

Once again, LN proves LADodger's point.

Theology is a way for those who don’t want to keep the totality of scripture in context to believe what they want to.

We could say the exact same thing about you.
And more accurately.

Scripture does not contradict scripture like many make scriptures do by pitting scripture against scripture so they can build their house on sand.

We could say the exact same thing about you.
And more accurately.

All you do is throw around worthless talking points without ever addressing anything of actual substance.

Yep, they have a tendency of wanting to be gratuitously and unncessarily rude and insulting, never willing to even acknowledge reasonable alternative interpretations of their proof-texts, and never willing to acknowledge other passages which strongly support our doctrines.

I don't know whether the reason for this is the use of sock puppets, or other reasons, or a combination.

I try to minimize my interactions with such people (and am apparently privileged by somehow getting myself on LN's "ignore" list) and occasionally post Scriptures or interpretations of the benefit of the lurkers, but they tend to misinterpret such interaction as some sort or "promise" to answer every stupid question they want to ask, or make bankrupt claims of, "See? They have no answer!"
Spot on, brother, sock puppets for sure. They need to get a hobby or a pet, because if this is all they have to pass their time, I pity them. That's why I am taking a different approach to those sock puppets. I will keep posting, and staying away and not replying to those who only want to troll. Because the ones watching these thread and posts, who do want to learn and seek the truth, are the only ones I care about. The truth will always prevail, no matter how much they try to pervert, distort, deceive.

I like reading the posts of my brothers & sisters, I keep growing in the knowledge of the Lord, always learning something new along the way. I have a lot of them on ignore, it's fruitless to engage with them.

How are you? Hope all is well? Keep fighting the good fight, through the proclamation of the Gospel. I have a treat for you, a podcast on Law & Gospel. Let me get uploaded and I'll send it to you. You'll gonna love it.

The Freer the Gospel, the better it is!​

You said nothing was asked of Abram at all and when I give you an example showing you that is not true you say non sequitur. Offering Issac showed God that Abram would do as God asked of Him how is that a non sequitur ?

So God didn't already know what Abe would do? He had to show God?

Good day!
You'd be surprised what some of us are learning. ;) I'm a slow, but persistent, learner.

Genesis 50:20
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

The posts and scripture prove otherwise. The covenants are all monergistic in origin. You've contested that even though the scriptures in context plainly demonstrated there was no two-way obligation the day the covenant was established and only after the covenant was established was anything asked of Abram/Abraham.
I believe the scriptures in context...
Then believe the scriptures when they plainly report God chooses people without their consent, without their even knowing He intends to call them. Believe the scriptures when they plainly report God calls those people without first asking if they'd liked to be called (compare those callings with His calling of Isaiah, for example). Believe scripture when it shows God making a covenant of promise with Abram without a single obligation due on Abram's part. Believe the vision that shows God walking the suzerain fealty covenant and NOT Abram. Believe the report of scripture showing nothing was asked of Abram/Abraham until decades after the covenant was established. Believe the report of scripture when the NT connects the OT to a plan made by God before the world was created..... with the covenant members' made complete in the Church (Heb. 11:40).

Show us that you believe the scripture by acknowledging the facts of scripture.
There was a covenant between Abram and God, which if you studied you would understand that Abram violated when he brought Lot with him. God specifically told Abram to get from his kindred and fathers house.—->
Unchecked Copy Box
Gen 12:1 - Now the LORDhad said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a landthat I will shew thee:
Unchecked Copy Box
Gen 12:2 - And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
Genesis 12 was before the covenant was made.

Look it up.

God made a promise in Genesis 12, but there's no mention of any covenant. Look it up. I know because I used to make the exact same mistake in the other direct. I used to start the covenant with Abraham in Genesis 12 until someone else pointed out to me there's no covenant there ?. Drats ?. The first mention of the word "covenant" is in Genesis 15, as I have already posted. The text plainly states,

Genesis 15:18-20
On that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, "To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt as far as the great river, the river Euphrates: 19the Kenite and the Kenizzite and the Kadmonite 20and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Rephaim 21and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Girgashite and the Jebusite.”

It was on that day that God made a covenant with Abram; the day after the vision, not the day God called Abram out of Ur.

Believe it.
Believe it exactly as writtien in its stated context.
Wrong on every account.
The scriptures prove otherwise.
I believe the scriptures in context....
Then believe there was no covenant in Genesis 12 and the Genesis 17, 22, and 26 requirements come decades after the covenant was first established. The conditions came afterwards.

Otherwise, - and this was NOT my intent - you have painted yourself into a corner and left the readers with the testimony you don't believe the scriptures AND deny the scripture only because of Cal-contempt.

Whereas, if you can and do acknowledge the facts of scripture then we can move on collaboratively discussing what this promise-based, monergistically-initiated, Christological covenant means op-relevantly. The covenant is, after all, a wonderful example of God knowing what will happen before it happens without having to look down the corridor of time. The moment Peter wrote 1Peter 1:20 everyone's understanding of God, time, and the Christ covenant changed.

As you know...the concept of "God looks down the corridor of time and history to see who would believe or not." isn't in the bible.
I see this as pretty much as works salvation.

Christians have to keep in mind...history has already happened for God as God isn't confined to our 3 dimensions + time universe.

Although it is true God isn't confined to our 3 dimensions, I would say God created only the progressive present, not the future. History has not already happened for God. Thus there is no future to see since He didn't create it ie the future is open.

But nonetheless God has exhaustive foreknowledge including of His own interactions.

The future to God is more like a miraculous guess that God can't err at. But is an attribute of His nature.

Like if we randomly tossed two dice that happened to roll doubles without influencing each other. God is miraculous.

That is the conclusion that reconciles scriptures.

Although it is true God isn't confined to our 3 dimensions, I would say God created only the progressive present, not the future. History has not already happened for God. Thus there is no future to see since He didn't create it ie the future is open.

I have to disagree as God know the beginning from the end.

The book of Revelation...being future, will happen as written.
But nonetheless God has exhaustive foreknowledge including of His own interactions.

The future to God is more like a miraculous guess that God can't err at. But is an attribute of His nature.

Like if we randomly tossed two dice that happened to roll doubles without influencing each other. God is miraculous.

That is the conclusion that reconciles scriptures.

Back