God's good pleasure

praise_yeshua

Calvinists love to talk of the "God pleasure of His will". However, if it is all about "God's Good Pleasure" then why are there Scriptures that say otherwise? Example....

Rom 15:3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.

Most people do not pay attention to how their theology reflects the true "Character of God". If God is all about pleasing Himself, then it there would no such verses in the Scriptures. If what we read in the Scriptures is true, and it is, then such teachings ultimately present a God that chooses to harm himself because He desires to harm Himself.

Theo1689

Calvinists love to talk of the "God pleasure of His will".

Do we?
Do you have any evidence for that claim?

However, if it is all about "God's Good Pleasure" then why are there Scriptures that say otherwise? Example....

When you say, "it is ALL about God's Good pleasure", exactly what are you referring to by "all"?

Rom 15:3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.

Do you understand that this is referring to the Son, and not the Father?

Most people do not pay attention to how their theology reflects the true "Character of God".

And you are some sort of an expert on what others do or do not "pay attention to"?

If God is all about pleasing Himself, then it there would no such verses in the Scriptures.

I don't see any reason to accept your bizarre assertion.

If what we read in the Scriptures is true, and it is, then such teachings ultimately present a God that chooses to harm himself because He desires to harm Himself.

So you are under the misapprehension that Christ is God the Father?

praise_yeshua

Do we?
Do you have any evidence for that claim?

Pick any Calvinist in history that has spoken of such. Pick more than one. Pick several. You may find a trend.

When you say, "it is ALL about God's Good pleasure", exactly what are you referring to by "all"?

There are many things that more important than other things. Like love. Love is more important than hate. When you talk of your theology, you must start with something important.

Do you understand that this is referring to the Son, and not the Father?

Not when comes to character. They is no distinction between the two. They are all of the same character.

And you are some sort of an expert on what others do or do not "pay attention to"?

As much as you are an expert in Calvinism.

I don't see any reason to accept your bizarre assertion.

I see you're being nice today. Thank you. I know you don't see "any reason". Such would require that you abandon your pride. By assertion isn't bizarre. Its logical and sound.

So you are under the misapprehension that Christ is God the Father?

They are of the same Character and "Good Pleasure". There are no divisions between Them.[/QUOTE]

Theo1689

Pick any Calvinist in history that has spoken of such. Pick more than one. Pick several. You may find a trend.

Um, okay.......?

So I will grant you that Calvinists speak of "God's good pleasure" when they write commentaries about verses that contain that phrase.

Do non-Calvinists simply IGNORE that phrase when they come to it?
Is that what you're trying to claim?

praise_yeshua

Um, okay.......?

So I will grant you that Calvinists speak of "God's good pleasure" when they write commentaries about verses that contain that phrase.

Do non-Calvinists simply IGNORE that phrase when they come to it?
Is that what you're trying to claim?

I never said that there weren't others that enjoyed such. There some that don't focus upon their view of God pleasing Himself when they talk of their theology. Some don't put the same importance upon said commentary.