Going to Hell in a nutshell

No, he only wants us to "love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind". Which is the bigger commitment?
You are not making a comparison.
How much money have you given to your church?
None of your business.
No I do not. I know what Christians tell me god is proposing, but I see no reason to suppose that is true. Why should I believe them?
I don't know what you mean by "proposing".

You don't have to believe them. I'm saying that God is real. That in my mind, is the most important bit of knowledge that you could possibly know.

Why pray to the Christian God, rather than the Hindu gods or Allah?
I didn't pray to a specific God. I prayed to God without knowing what his name was or even which God he was. Just God, the creator.
So like the Nigerian Prince. If I reach out to him...
There is no comparison.
God is not in need of anything that you could possibly give him. You can't lose anything but only gain from knowing him.

I am sincerely glad you found that in your life... but your relief does not entail my depravity and damnation, even though I am far from perfect. That is my only point. When you see me barking like I do, somebody has introduced that lie into the fabric. For many Christians that found your relief, that lie is part of the package.
My relief entailed later finding out I needed to change the way I lived if I wanted fellowship with Jesus. I repented of the many wrong things I had done. I found forgiveness and acceptance with Him.
You would have to spell out what you mean by depravity and damnation to see if it means the same to me as it does to you.

You are not making a comparison.
Both the Nigerian Prince scam and God are trying to get something out of you. One wants money, the other wants utter devoted love.

None of your business.
It was a rhetorical question. The point is that your religion is trying to get money out of you. Just like the Nigerian Prince scam.

In one instance you tell us not to analyse the offer, just to blindly accept it, but in the other your IT department is working hard to ensure you do analyse these offers, that you think about, rather than blindly believing.

Can you understand why atheists are going to "look at it, analyze it, rationalize it, scrutinize it" rather than blindly accept it, given that is what you do when the offer is outside your religion?

I don't know what you mean by "proposing".
You said "You already know what God is proposing through Christ" (I appreciate you have on-going discussions with several people here).

You don't have to believe them. I'm saying that God is real. That in my mind, is the most important bit of knowledge that you could possibly know.
I see no reason to think God is real, and hence I think that knowledge is trivial, as well as wrong.

I didn't pray to a specific God. I prayed to God without knowing what his name was or even which God he was. Just God, the creator.
So how come today you are a Christian, not a Muslim or Hindu?

There is no comparison.
God is not in need of anything that you could possibly give him. You can't lose anything but only gain from knowing him.
Whether he needs it or not, he certainly seems to want us all to love him with utter devotion.

How? And how did you know you did the differentiation accurately?
Every time I feel the presence of God in one way or another my God meter goes off.
When I feel the presence of the enemy, my devil meter goes off.

Just joking with you!

I'll ask God to show you, although I think it would be more likely if you ask him yourself.

Every time I feel the presence of God in one way or another my God meter goes off.
When I feel the presence of the enemy, my devil meter goes off.

Just joking with you!
You actually had me for a few seconds there. Nice one!

I'll ask God to show you, although I think it would be more likely if you ask him yourself.
You misunderstand. My question doesn't assume that you're wrong. I want to know how **you** determined the difference between a real answer and an imagined one?

You misunderstand. My question doesn't assume that you're wrong. I want to know how **you** determined the difference between a real answer and an imagined one?

Reality has a way of validating itself. It's like being awake versus dreaming. Even though we dream, and within the dream, we don't recognize it as a dream, when we are awake we KNOW we are not dreaming. Yet we are unable to explain how reality verifies that we are not dreaming, and particularly not dreaming that we are not dreaming. It just does.

Too bad you have me on ignore, Gus. So many of your posts have that theme, i.e. how can one know one is not being deceived. I know, I know. I am addressing the equivalent of a brick wall.

You actually had me for a few seconds there. Nice one!
I couldn't resist.
I keep seeking God until I get an answer from Him that I know is from Him. I might feel his presence or if I'm feeling a strong burden, I will feel a peace internally. Sometimes a scripture will come to my mind out of the blue. Sometimes he answers me immediately and other times I have to wait. For other Christians that I know it is different. Almost every time they seek God they speak in other tongues (languages) that they have never learned. (Acts 2, 1 Corinthians 12). That experience only happened to me twice.
I determine if something is from God if it rings true to the Bible revelation of him and if I feel his presence in some way or another. Occasionally, he speaks in dreams. I don't hold to any dreams as being from God unless they are very clear.

Reality has a way of validating itself. It's like being awake versus dreaming. Even though we dream, and within the dream, we don't recognize it as a dream, when we are awake we KNOW we are not dreaming. Yet we are unable to explain how reality verifies that we are not dreaming, and particularly not dreaming that we are not dreaming. It just does.

Too bad you have me on ignore, Gus. So many of your posts have that theme, i.e. how can one know one is not being deceived. I know, I know. I am addressing the equivalent of a brick wall.
If you watch his debate with Ian Hutchinson, you will understand Gus better and why he asks the things that he does.

In one instance you tell us not to analyse the offer, just to blindly accept it, but in the other your IT department is working hard to ensure you do analyse these offers, that you think about, rather than blindly believing.
I'm not saying to blindly accept it. I didn't blindly accept it.
Can you understand why atheists are going to "look at it, analyze it, rationalize it, scrutinize it" rather than blindly accept it, given that is what you do when the offer is outside your religion?
What do you mean by "outside of your religion"? Do you have a religion you affiliate with?
You said "You already know what God is proposing through Christ" (I appreciate you have on-going discussions with several people here).
You do as well. I haven't really tried to share the gospel with any of you in depth because I assume that you've all already heard it or you have told me that you have.
I see no reason to think God is real, and hence I think that knowledge is trivial, as well as wrong.
What do you base it on?
So how come today you are a Christian, not a Muslim or Hindu?
I met a young lady from Indiana upon arriving in England at the pub near our flats. The next day as we were talking about our families back home in the states, she told me the man in the picture was her father who was a Christian minister. She had become a Christian about 6 months before coming to England with her husband. As she was talking she started speaking another language that she didn't know and was outwardly embarrassed by it. I could tell the words came out of her and caught her by surprise. I asked her what was that? She explained that speaking in tongues happens when someone has received the gift of the Holy Spirit.

By the time I had met her I knew that if God was real I wanted to know it. I wanted to meet him, so to speak. I wanted proof from Him that he existed. When she spoke in tongues, I immediately knew that it was real and I wanted it. I asked her what I should do. She said I should read the Bible which was something that I hadn't done before. I bought a Bible at a local used book store in Brackley where we lived and read it. The gospel of Matthew convinced me to become a Christian.

Whether he needs it or not, he certainly seems to want us all to love him with utter devotion.
What a horrible thing!

Last edited:
I couldn't resist.

I keep seeking God until I get an answer from Him that I know is from Him.
And, again how do you know it's from him?:

I might feel his presence or if I'm feeling a strong burden, I will feel a peace internally.
How do you know your internal peace is from God and not from yourself?

Sometimes a scripture will come to my mind out of the blue.
What makes you conclude that can't be your mind?

Sometimes he answers me immediately and other times I have to wait. For other Christians that I know it is different. Almost every time they seek God they speak in other tongues (languages) that they have never learned. (Acts 2, 1 Corinthians 12). That experience only happened to me twice.
I determine if something is from God if it rings true to the Bible revelation of him and if I feel his presence in some way or another.
But my questions is, when something rings true to the Bible, and you feel a presence, how do you determine it's from God as opposed to just your (sincere) imagination?

Perhaps this question will reduce back to an issue we discussed earlier, the odds of the supernatural versus the richness of human psychology.

Occasionally, he speaks in dreams. I don't hold to any dreams as being from God unless they are very clear.

I am sincerely glad you found that in your life... but your relief does not entail my depravity and damnation, even though I am far from perfect. That is my only point. When you see me barking like I do, somebody has introduced that lie into the fabric. For many Christians that found your relief, that lie is part of the package.
What lie?

You are "far from perfect" but deep down you think you are a really good person?

Back