Happy Reformation Day! Paths to Lutheranism

BJ Bear

This year Issues, Etc. has several interviews with people from different traditions who became Lutheran. The common theme is that they heard the gospel of Jesus Christ in an unobscured and unadorned manner.

The links below are to interviews with someone who came from Roman Catholicism and a couple from Evangelicalism. The near link at the end is a convenient way of locating the interviews from other traditions, for example, Orthodox and Baptist.

2973. PATHS TO LUTHERANISM: FROM EVANGELICALISM – ADAM AND BETHANY DIRKS, 10/24/22

Reactions: Nic
This year Issues, Etc. has several interviews with people from different traditions who became Lutheran. The common theme is that they heard the gospel of Jesus Christ in an unobscured and unadorned manner.

The links below are to interviews with someone who came from Roman Catholicism and a couple from Evangelicalism. The near link at the end is a convenient way of locating the interviews from other traditions, for example, Orthodox and Baptist.

2973. PATHS TO LUTHERANISM: FROM EVANGELICALISM – ADAM AND BETHANY DIRKS, 10/24/22

Hi BJ,

Not sure if you are familiar with 'The Coming Home Network' [Marcus Grodi] but they have several articles and videos of former Lutheran ministers crossing the Tiber -- Ulf Samuelsson, Alf Härdelin, James Cope, Paul Abbe, Larry Heimsoth, Noah Lett, etc.

Hi BJ,

Not sure if you are familiar with 'The Coming Home Network' [Marcus Grodi] but they have several articles and videos of former Lutheran ministers crossing the Tiber -- Ulf Samuelsson, Alf Härdelin, James Cope, Paul Abbe, Larry Heimsoth, Noah Lett, etc.
No, I am not familiar with that network, but given the circumstances of the four that I could find it isn't surprising that they converted to something.

No, I am not familiar with that network, but given the circumstances of the four that I could find it isn't surprising that they converted to something.
I think Ulf Samuelsson was a Lutheran minister and then had a mega-nondenominational church.... Why would it not surprise you of a conversion?

I think Ulf Samuelsson was a Lutheran minister and then had a mega-nondenominational church.... Why would it not surprise you of a conversion?
Its an inside baseball kind of thing, but the sum is since pastors are no different from the rest of us they too are in need of a preacher. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised by a third or fourth conversion.

The Evangelical Church is based upon a catholic, evangelical, and ecumenical confession. Some peoples froze their confession before the rest of the Symbols were completed. Some groups and individuals held and hold to a qualified subscription to the confession or the Symbols.

The unity is in Christ for us rather than church polity or uninspired doctrine or dogma.

Hearing the pure unadulterated gospel led me from Rome to Lutheranism.

Hearing the pure unadulterated gospel led me from Rome to Lutheranism.
Praise the LORD!

I'm an adult convert who didn't know any better and thought the Christian churches believed and taught the same stuff that I learned from the gospel of John. To make a long story short, it was through indiscriminate reading, listening to radio preachers, and attending churches that I came to realize there was chaos. People often used the same words but understood them and used them in very different ways.

When I came across the Lutherans they were the only ones who didn't give me a story and addressed my questions (I didn't accept most of the short canon at the time.) by telling me to go read the Bible and come back and tell him (the pastor) what it says.

Later it was a pastor of another synod who told me you can't know what Scripture means until you know what it says. Those two statements were enough to make them the first choice among churches to hang out with. It then took a lot of years of faithful preaching and teaching to the witness of the gospel of John by pastors from multiple synods that I became Lutheran and later received the sixty-five as consistent with John.

Thank you Jesus!

Praise the LORD!

I'm an adult convert who didn't know any better and thought the Christian churches believed and taught the same stuff that I learned from the gospel of John. To make a long story short, it was through indiscriminate reading, listening to radio preachers, and attending churches that I came to realize there was chaos. People often used the same words but understood them and used them in very different ways.

When I came across the Lutherans they were the only ones who didn't give me a story and addressed my questions (I didn't accept most of the short canon at the time.) by telling me to go read the Bible and come back and tell him (the pastor) what it says.

Later it was a pastor of another synod who told me you can't know what Scripture means until you know what it says. Those two statements were enough to make them the first choice among churches to hang out with. It then took a lot of years of faithful preaching and teaching to the witness of the gospel of John by pastors from multiple synods that I became Lutheran and later received the sixty-five as consistent with John.

Thank you Jesus!
The sixty-five?

The sixty-five?
From previous reads of BJs comments in this regard, the gospel of John he first read and understood as canonical. The remaining canon became clear as they aligned with John's gospel. So the 65 books refers to those that were affirmed through John's gospel and not meant to exclude John's gospel from the 66 book Canon. At least that what I understand as I recall what has been mentioned elsewhere with respect to this post and topic here.🙂

Hi BJ,

Poor Marcus drank the Roman Kool-Aid.😉

From previous reads of BJs comments in this regard, the gospel of John he first read and understood as canonical. The remaining canon became clear as they aligned with John's gospel. So the 65 books refers to those that were affirmed through John's gospel and not meant to exclude John's gospel from the 66 book Canon. At least that what I understand as I recall what has been mentioned elsewhere with respect to this post and topic here.🙂
Thanks, Nic!

Reactions: Nic
There's a strong human drive to want to work for ones salvation.
Yes, because of pride. It is human nature not to want to admit we are helpless to save ourselves. But that is what we must do--swallow our pride, and throw ourselves at Jesus' feet and plead for mercy. And He will give it to us! :) All praise and glory be to His holy Name!

Last edited:
Back