Hate speech: Anti-Christian Antisemitism

Hardly a month goes by when I am not subjected to verbal attacks of virulent Anti-Christian hate. So it came as no surprise last night when someone I talk to periodically launched a diatribe against first Christians and then Jews. The speaker was a self identified atheist. He was also a firm believer in the Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy theory which has been around for a very long time. His expression of the ZOG dogma was complete with all the familiar features. It was like hearing a creed recited. I kept quiet and let him talk. I know how to shut up and listen when people are opening up and expressing their ideology.

Meanwhile churches are being destroyed all around the world every day. It is the new normal.

Cynthia

So sorry that you are subjected to such verbal hatred. What is your occupation or what environment are you in where this happens so often?

Cynthia

@Stirling Bartholomew

Do you think atheists typically hate Christians (and Jews)?
I haven't known very many atheists personally. But probably, yes, as they would think Christians or Jews are judgmental.
I had a friend who was an atheist, but we parted ways because of her drinking, not because of our differing views.
I also had an uncle who was an atheist. He was also a doctor and very intelligent and caring. He believed that Christians believed so that they could have their fairy-tale about living after death. But he did not seem to harbor any hatred.

So sorry that you are subjected to such verbal hatred. What is your occupation or what environment are you in where this happens so often?
I was walking in a public park where I intentionally engage in conversations with people of every persuasion. Since November 2016 the hatred of all things Christian has been openly expressed. Some of this hatred comes from 'progressive' clergy who despise orthodoxy. I don't need to look beyond my extended family. I have a nephew who does campus ministry in SoCal and he openly attacks orthodoxy and expresses dripping distain for what he calls traditional Christianity. This is hardly new. I grew up being exposed to writings of James A. Pike, Harvey Cox and all their fellow travelers.

Cynthia

I was walking in a public park where I intentionally engage in conversations with people of every persuasion. Since November 2016 the hatred of all things Christian has been openly expressed. Some of this hatred comes from 'progressive' clergy who despise orthodoxy. I don't need to look beyond my extended family. I have a nephew who does campus ministry in SoCal and he openly attacks orthodoxy and expresses dripping distain for what he calls traditional Christianity. This is hardly new. I grew up being exposed to writings of James A. Pike, Harvey Cox and all their fellow travelers.
Oh I see. You would then come in contact with a variety of people. What part of the country if you don't mind my asking. Generally. naming a state would be fine.

I also had an uncle who was an atheist. He was also a doctor and very intelligent and caring. He believed that Christians believed so that they could have their fairy-tale about living after death. But he did not seem to harbor any hatred.
I had an uncle who was a 'progressive' United Methodist and he was very outspoken about it but it didn't amount to hatred. He was from the same geographical location as the man I was talking to yesterday. He was the first person who made me aware of 'rightwing' groups in Eastern Washington. This is something that was happening in my generation. It doesn't reflect the current situation. The man I was talking to yesterday is an old guy who grew up in a small rural city before the internet or cellphones. So were talking about a cultural dinosaur.

The expressions of distain for "theism" come from all sorts of people. Most of them are not young. I have a Navajo friend who has adult children and he regularly disparages Christians even though his wife attends a messianic congregation and is a student of Biblical Hebrew. He isn't a hater but he grew up on the reservation in Arizona where there were evangelists active in the community. I can understand why people have problems with evangelists.

The distain is typically targeted at a particular cultural manifestation found in North America.

Last edited:

vibise

Hardly a month goes by when I am not subjected to verbal attacks of virulent Anti-Christian hate. So it came as no surprise last night when someone I talk to periodically launched a diatribe against first Christians and then Jews. The speaker was a self identified atheist. He was also a firm believer in the Zionist Occupation Government conspiracy theory which has been around for a very long time. His expression of the ZOG dogma was complete with all the familiar features. It was like hearing a creed recited. I kept quiet and let him talk. I know how to shut up and listen when people are opening up and expressing their ideology.

Meanwhile churches are being destroyed all around the world every day. It is the new normal.
Churches are not being destroyed, they are dying because people are increasingly seeing them as irrelevant.
Church attendance is dropping and individual churches are struggling to survive.
I have seen churches converted into banks and beer halls.

Sure there are some places in the world, like China, where church membership is frowned on if not illegal, but rejection of organized religion has become a worldwide phenomenon.

Authentic Nouveau

Churches are not being destroyed, they are dying because people are increasingly seeing them as irrelevant.
Church attendance is dropping and individual churches are struggling to survive.

Sure there are some places in the world, like China, where church membership is frowned on if not illegal, but rejection of organized religion has become a worldwide phenomenon.
The Luterans dropped by 40%.
We ordained 3 more young pastors this summer. We bought a church 40 miles away that went out of business. They accepted our first offer.

Sadly some churches are beer halls. We have a black pastor friend who sometimes preaches at our church. He built a new building and they moved in when covid visited from China. He got covid and I spoke to him afterward. They postponed dedication of their fantastic new sanctuary.
Yesterday a drove past a new large church under construction. It will seat 600.

Spiritually dead churches are drying up. We have a church in our community that dried up, some start-up church bought it and does a great charity mission.

BMS

Churches are being destroyed all over the world. The country with probably the biggest Christian population and rising is China where most of the church is 'underground' with a real threat of mortal danger. A number of organistations have recognised Christians are arguably the most persecuted group.

Backup

Churches are being destroyed all over the world. The country with probably the biggest Christian population and rising is China where most of the church is 'underground' with a real threat of mortal danger. A number of organistations have recognised Christians are arguably the most persecuted group.
Almost all persecution in America is done by Christians.