Have you heard of the Burning of the Bosom?

Thank you for answering my questions :)
My pleasure.
Can you point to any official LDS documents that state what Peter experienced was a "Burning of the Bosom"? I haven't been able to find it, but it would be helpful. Jared's and you are the first two that have ever said that to me.
Well, I wouldn't limit Peter's experience to a burning in the Bosom. I'm not aware of such a declaration.

However, the overall principle is that God's will is made known to the meek and humble.

Moroni 8:26 "...because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love"

Yet, God can manifest His truth to individuals in various ways:

D&C 88:68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will

The "burning of the bosom", is not the same subject as "revelation", but it is related.
From my understanding, "burning of the bosom" is the same as "the baptism of fire" spoken of in the Bible:

Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God

My pleasure.

Well, I wouldn't limit Peter's experience to a burning in the Bosom. I'm not aware of such a declaration.

However, the overall principle is that God's will is made known to the meek and humble.

Moroni 8:26 "...because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love"

Yet, God can manifest His truth to individuals in various ways:

D&C 88:68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will

The "burning of the bosom", is not the same subject as "revelation", but it is related.
From my understanding, "burning of the bosom" is the same as "the baptism of fire" spoken of in the Bible:

Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God
Cool. Thanks. I disagree with your interpretation of Matt and John, but I'm satisfied with the answer you gave. :)

And you claim after reading it fully and humbling and with real intent asked God if was true... you did that?
Didn't read it fully at the time* that I asked, but I did ask humbly and with honest intent. And I got an answer. I felt a peace about it.
Then I asked if what I believed was true, and I felt both joy and peace.
What can I take away from it? If it was the Holy Spirit then it was saying that there were true things in it, but not fully (there are errors in it). If it wasn't the Holy Spirit, then I have no read to trust in people's testimony about the Book of Mormon. If you feel like it was the Holy Spirit then you have no reason to doubt what I'm telling you, that I prayed humbly and with honest intent. Moreover it should tell you that I don't need to finish reading the whole book to pray about it.

*I finished reading it about 15 years later.

Didn't read it fully at the time* that I asked, but I did ask humbly and with honest intent. And I got an answer. I felt a peace about it.
Then I asked if what I believed was true, and I felt both joy and peace.
What can I take away from it? If it was the Holy Spirit then it was saying that there were true things in it, but not fully (there are errors in it). If it wasn't the Holy Spirit, then I have no read to trust in people's testimony about the Book of Mormon. If you feel like it was the Holy Spirit then you have no reason to doubt what I'm telling you, that I prayed humbly and with honest intent. Moreover it should tell you that I don't need to finish reading the whole book to pray about it.

*I finished reading it about 15 years later.
Truly thankful that at least you made a effort...we also believe that there is a spirit world after you pass through the veil and ministering and teaching are still going on. No-one is assigned to hell, that is a fallacy promoted by to many churches...

I disagree.
It's in the Bible...

1 Peter 3:18–20

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Spirit Prison. The Apostle Peter referred to the postmortal spirit world as a prison, which it is for some (see 1 Peter 3:18–20). In the spirit prison are the spirits of those who have not yet received the gospel of Jesus Christ. These spirits have agency and may be enticed by both good and evil. The spirits may progress as they learn gospel principles and live in accordance with them. The spirits in paradise can teach the spirits in prison (see Doctrine and Covenants 138). If they accept the gospel and the ordinances performed for them in the temples, they may leave the spirit prison and dwell in paradise.

It's in the Bible...

1 Peter 3:18–20

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Spirit Prison. The Apostle Peter referred to the postmortal spirit world as a prison, which it is for some (see 1 Peter 3:18–20). In the spirit prison are the spirits of those who have not yet received the gospel of Jesus Christ. These spirits have agency and may be enticed by both good and evil. The spirits may progress as they learn gospel principles and live in accordance with them. The spirits in paradise can teach the spirits in prison (see Doctrine and Covenants 138). If they accept the gospel and the ordinances performed for them in the temples, they may leave the spirit prison and dwell in paradise.

Is this a passage that Christians use to defend hell?

Last edited:
How does it read to you? not what other christians interpret it.... why should you use their doctrine?...
And yet you quoted....
Not only do use Joseph Smith's doctrines, you wish me to use your doctrine, but you say I shouldn't use other Christian's?

I'm done.

This is the described "burning of the bosom" LDS speak of. It is not Scriptural, nor grounded in Christianity but in their belief in the cult of Mormonism.

Yes, lastdays--it is scriptural:

Luke 24:30-32---King James Version
30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

It seems to me God did work in that way--and still can.

Yes, lastdays--it is scriptural:

30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

It seems to me God did work in that way--and still can.
Yes, opening up the Scriptures. Not creating new ones.

Yes, opening up the Scriptures. Not creating new ones.

Your OP was-- "Have you heard of the Burning of the Bosom?"

I have heard of that:

The New Testament was--new.

Your OP was-- "Have you heard of the Burning of the Bosom?"

I have heard of that:

The New Testament was--new.
Not when Jesus opened up the scriptures. They didn't exist then. The Scriptures referred to in Luke 24:32 refers to the Old Testament only.

Not when Jesus opened up the scriptures. They didn't exist then. The Scriptures referred to in Luke 24:32 refers to the Old Testament only.
So, did the scriptures exist then or not? Make up ur mind. Or are u saying that the old testament isn't scripture?

Back