He has given us everything pertaining to......

Ok. So it's not just me that is seeing that.
Thank you.

I'm still trying to figure out why an encouraging op is fodder for argument.

I figured that if the reader is a follower of Jesus, then it applies to them.

If they aren't a follower of Jesus, then it doesn't apply to them, until they turn to YHVH from their sin and place their trust in Jesus.
Many people do not like the particular passage because it opens them up to the responsibility of doing things to not fall.
2 Peter 1:10
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Many people do not like the particular passage because it opens them up to the responsibility of doing things to not fall.
2 Peter 1:10
Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
That makes sense.

As stated in my OP, I'm a retired union trained journeyman in a craft.

Over the years I plied my trade, I became a tool junky.

The joke.... while true.... was....

Every job has its tool, and every tool a task!

As I read verse three, I realized that I was seeing that God has explicitly given us everything we could possibly need to do whatever job he could call us to engage in.

I.e., we were not being tossed out to the wolves, and left to fend for ourselves.

Aside from his being right there with us, he is like the journeyman who will teach us how to do the job we are called to do.

Furthermore, he's giving us a complete set of tools to do so, and help us succeed in it.

I don't know what your profession is, but to a guy in the trades..... this is a boon beyond description, and it gives me the sense of utter excitement and gratitude.

I then began wondering about this idea of all these tools and resources, and found myself thinking about it.

Well, what if I run across a tool I've never seen before? How would I know how to use it and what task it's applicable for?

I was then reminded of John 14:26, and 16:12-15.

Jesus said he would give us the Holy Spirit to remind us of everything he said, and to teach us and guide us into all truth.

Yet again.... another really exciting thing.

To me, this is like having a teacher who will always be there, with me, in the middle of my life and every incident I am presented with to serve him. Could you imagine having a teacher, who knows all the tools and resources, and their respective applications, and specific purpose and to top it off, he knows exactly how you learn and how to make sure you get it, even when you feel like you're fumbling around and stumbling all over yourself, he's got you....

God is loading us up with benefits (Psalm 68:18, Ephesians 4), all the tools and resources we could ever need, beyond our wildest dreams, and then giving us a teacher to be there, exactly how, when, and the manner we need him....

To me.... this selection of passage... 2 Peter 1:2-13.... it's one of those motherlode things that you feel like you have just hit the jackpots of jackpots....

I suppose another way to say it is.... I feel as though God wrote me a blank check and sent me into the largest candy store on earth, and said.... have fun. Let me know when you're ready to come.

So.... yeah.... it's definitely disconcerting to see people arguing about so profound a blessing.

That makes sense.

As stated in my OP, I'm a retired union trained journeyman in a craft.

Over the years I plied my trade, I became a tool junky.

The joke.... while true.... was....

Every job has its tool, and every tool a task!
sure enough
As I read verse three, I realized that I was seeing that God has explicitly given us everything we could possibly need to do whatever job he could call us to engage in.

I.e., we were not being tossed out to the wolves, and left to fend for ourselves.

Aside from his being right there with us, he is like the journeyman who will teach us how to do the job we are called to do.

Furthermore, he's giving us a complete set of tools to do so, and help us succeed in it.

I don't know what your profession is, but to a guy in the trades..... this is a boon beyond description, and it gives me the sense of utter excitement and gratitude.

I then began wondering about this idea of all these tools and resources, and found myself thinking about it.

Well, what if I run across a tool I've never seen before? How would I know how to use it and what task it's applicable for?

I was then reminded of John 14:26, and 16:12-15.

Jesus said he would give us the Holy Spirit to remind us of everything he said, and to teach us and guide us into all truth.

Yet again.... another really exciting thing.

To me, this is like having a teacher who will always be there, with me, in the middle of my life and every incident I am presented with to serve him. Could you imagine having a teacher, who knows all the tools and resources, and their respective applications, and specific purpose and to top it off, he knows exactly how you learn and how to make sure you get it, even when you feel like you're fumbling around and stumbling all over yourself, he's got you....

God is loading us up with benefits (Psalm 68:18, Ephesians 4), all the tools and resources we could ever need, beyond our wildest dreams, and then giving us a teacher to be there, exactly how, when, and the manner we need him....

To me.... this selection of passage... 2 Peter 1:2-13.... it's one of those motherlode things that you feel like you have just hit the jackpots of jackpots....

I suppose another way to say it is.... I feel as though God wrote me a blank check and sent me into the largest candy store on earth, and said.... have fun. Let me know when you're ready to come.

So.... yeah.... it's definitely disconcerting to see people arguing about so profound a blessing.
Vs 3 is connected to vs 4... Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
This is specifically about those who have escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

sure enough

Vs 3 is connected to vs 4...
Not saying otherwise.

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
This is specifically about those who have escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
?

Having escaped the corruption that is in this world because of lust, or escaping through lust?

It's my understanding that we escape the corruption that is in this world by the promises of God, through those promises he made us partakers of his divine nature.

We were first made partakers of his divine nature.
Which, by the promises of God and his divine nature in us, we are given the power to escape the corruption that is in this world because of our evil desires/lust.

Not saying otherwise.

?

Having escaped the corruption that is in this world because of lust, or escaping through lust?
having escaped... You cannot be in corruption and be in Christ at the same time.
It's my understanding that we escape the corruption that is in this world by the promises of God, through those promises he made us partakers of his divine nature.
Therefore no longer in corruption
We were first made partakers of his divine nature.
Nope, one must first escape the corruption. One cannot be a partaker of the divine nature while in corruption.
Which, by the promises of God and his divine nature in us, we are given the power to escape the corruption that is in this world because of our evil desires/lust.
You have it backward....having escaped means that you have already escaped.
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

This is the first path of the believer. This is the place a believer escapes to.
Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Colossians 3:3
For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

You cannot be in corruption and be in Christ at the same time.
This is the first path of the believer. This is the place a believer escapes to.
Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Colossians 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

To which you were called to obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thess 2:14

In whom we have redemption ...He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. Col 1:12-15

JonHawk said:
The gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood the grace of God in truth. Col 1:6 Seeing that through the Holy Spirit you have purified your hearts... 1 Peter 1:22
What does any of this have to do with my OP?
For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread. 1 Cor 10:16-17

JonHawk said:
For starters, such as your warped teaching that Jesus was an errant sinner like you, rejecting the testimony of Scripture,
Knowing that you were redeemed with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 1 Peter 1:19
Think about this if you can why the ways of Jesus in the Father is warped teachings?
Why are gnostics warped? Because they are reprobates. Gary Mac "I do reject redemption through Jesus".
Newbirth said:
Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 3:4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

To which you were called to obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thess 2:14

In whom we have redemption ...He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. Col 1:12-15

You cannot be in corruption and be in Christ at the same time. Do you agree or disagree?

Your understanding is flawed...it says "that ye might be partakers" not "he made us partakers"...

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Even though one had escaped it does not mean they are automatically a partaker of the divine nature.

For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread. 1 Cor 10:16-17
Indeed.

Which is why I'm asking what your posts have to do with God giving us everything we need to know him and live a godly life.

Your understanding is flawed...it says "that ye might be partakers" not "he made us partakers"...

Even though one had escaped it does not mean they are automatically a partaker of the divine nature.
Partaker status is a necessity to be able to escape the corruption.

No partaker, no escape.

JonHawk said:
For starters, such as your warped teaching that Jesus was an errant sinner like you, rejecting the testimony of Scripture,
Knowing that you were redeemed with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. 1 Peter 1:19
Gary Mac said:
Think about this if you can why the ways of Jesus in the Father is warped teachings?
Why are gnostics warped? Because they are reprobates. Gary Mac "I do reject redemption through Jesus".
Newbirth said:

You cannot be in corruption and be in Christ at the same time. Do you agree or disagree?
I concur that a believer Eph 4:7 has no part with an infidel. (2 Cor 6:15)
Just ask Gary Mac the Paul hater.

Vs 3 is connected to vs 4...
I think vss 2 through 13 are all connected.

2 Peter 1:2-13 NKJV — Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

I think that if there's a delineation in the thoughts, it's
Vss 2 - 4, 5 - 8, 9, 10 - 11, and 12 - 13.

2 Peter 1:2-13 NKJV —

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Our experience of the Grace and peace of God is multiplied as our experience of God and Jesus are increased.

Through our experience and knowledge of God and Jesus (the written word included, as the basis of our experiences) we learn that God has given us everything we need to know him and live a godly life.

And because of his glory and virtue, we come to learn that he has given us many exceedingly great and precious promises that by these, we may become partakers of his divine nature, which allows us to escape the corruption that is in this world because of evil desires.

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And because of the things described in vss 2-4, we are freed to focus our efforts on increasing our faith to add virtue. This frees us to add knowledge. Increasing our knowledge, we can add self-control. By adding self-control, we can add perseverance. By increasing perseverance, we can add brotherly kindness. By adding brotherly kindness, we can add love.....
By adding these things to our lives we ensure that we can be fruitful in our lives in Christ, and as such, experience the life of God in Christ.

For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

It's incredibly important to take the time to learn to emphasize our focus on Jesus in learning to add the above described attributes, so we don't experience failure to grow in our experience of the Grace of God and Jesus.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

By giving ourselves over to adding the above-mentioned attributes, we can ensure success in our lives in Christ, and make it so that we never stumble. And in the end.... experience a great welcome into the everlasting Kingdom of God and Jesus. Kind of reminds me of the celebratory parades for the world war 2 soldiers, returning from the war in Europe and the Pacific. Great fanfare, and expressions of gratitude for their service.

For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

The importance of reminders, due to how easy it is to get sidetracked and focused on other, less important things.

So.... yeah... this group of passages strike me as a single, whole, that does exactly what Jesus asked Peter to do for us, the sheep of Jesus' flock.

Partaker status is a necessity to be able to escape the corruption.

No partaker, no escape.
You have it backward...one must escape first then one might be a partaker...
Read it slowly...4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

I think vss 2 through 13 are all connected.

2 Peter 1:2-13 NKJV — Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

I think that if there's a delineation in the thoughts, it's
Vss 2 - 4, 5 - 8, 9, 10 - 11, and 12 - 13.

2 Peter 1:2-13 NKJV —

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Our experience of the Grace and peace of God is multiplied as our experience of God and Jesus are increased.

Through our experience and knowledge of God and Jesus (the written word included, as the basis of our experiences) we learn that God has given us everything we need to know him and live a godly life.

And because of his glory and virtue, we come to learn that he has given us many exceedingly great and precious promises that by these, we may become partakers of his divine nature, which allows us to escape the corruption that is in this world because of evil desires.

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And because of the things described in vss 2-4, we are freed to focus our efforts on increasing our faith to add virtue. This frees us to add knowledge. Increasing our knowledge, we can add self-control. By adding self-control, we can add perseverance. By increasing perseverance, we can add brotherly kindness. By adding brotherly kindness, we can add love.....
By adding these things to our lives we ensure that we can be fruitful in our lives in Christ, and as such, experience the life of God in Christ.

For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

It's incredibly important to take the time to learn to emphasize our focus on Jesus in learning to add the above described attributes, so we don't experience failure to grow in our experience of the Grace of God and Jesus.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

By giving ourselves over to adding the above-mentioned attributes, we can ensure success in our lives in Christ, and make it so that we never stumble. And in the end.... experience a great welcome into the everlasting Kingdom of God and Jesus. Kind of reminds me of the celebratory parades for the world war 2 soldiers, returning from the war in Europe and the Pacific. Great fanfare, and expressions of gratitude for their service.

For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you,

The importance of reminders, due to how easy it is to get sidetracked and focused on other, less important things.

So.... yeah... this group of passages strike me as a single, whole, that does exactly what Jesus asked Peter to do for us, the sheep of Jesus' flock.
Are you teaching here or are you assuming? You said that you are not a teacher. It seems as though you are objecting to "might be partakers" Was Peter wrong to say might be partakers? You seem to be saying that people are partakers of the divine nature before they have escaped the corruption that is in the world.

Hint -- God sent Jesus as teacher of His way. Something that you at least should consider of him.

JonHawk said:
Why don't you ask him?
You're not paying attention. I did ask, but it was a rhetorical question.

JonHawk said:

Back