He has given us everything pertaining to......

You have it backward...one must escape first then one might be a partaker...
Read it slowly...4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

please show your scripture to support your assertion...

Post in thread 'He has given us everything pertaining to......' https://forums.carm.org/threads/he-has-given-us-everything-pertaining-to.13066/post-1023137

Are you teaching here or are you assuming?
So, in your book, there's only two options?
Sounds rather bigoted to me.

You should read more of the bible.
You said that you are not a teacher.
That's right.
I also said whose, and what I am. I even provided a reference from Romans 12.
It seems as though you are objecting to "might be partakers"
What seems to you is a you thing.
I can't help what you want.

Was Peter wrong to say might be partakers?
I don't know. Perhaps you should ask him.

You seem to be saying that people are partakers of the divine nature before they have escaped the corruption that is in the world.
Actually, I'm thinking that we need to become partakers of God's divine nature so that we are able to effectively escape the corruption of the world, and our lusts.

I don't see this in the passage....
SteveB said:
Partaker status is a necessity to be able to escape the corruption.
No partaker, no escape.

This is what I see...that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, (may be tells me that are not yet partakers)
having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. (having escaped tells me that they have already escaped.)
That is not rocket science.

I don't see this in the passage....
SteveB said:
No partaker, no escape.

This is what I see...that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, (may be tells me that are not yet partakers)
having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. (having escaped tells me that they have already escaped.)
That is not rocket science.

You don't see it.

And that's a problem for me...

Why?

Ok. Let's step through this.

Apparently, in your thinking, you first have to escape the corruption that is in the world because of lust.

It's not actually possible to become a partaker of the divine nature, until after the escape from the corruption that is due to lust.

Do I have your view correctly stated?

So, in your book, there's only two options?
What book? I never said there were only two options. You claimed not to be teaching but it appears that you are.
Sounds rather bigoted to me.
How so? You are the one who said that you are not teaching here. When in fact you are.
You should read more of the bible.
How does my reading more of the bible help you when you don't seem to know if you are teaching or not?
That's right.
I also said whose, and what I am. I even provided a reference from Romans 12.
But here you are teaching...
SteveB said:
No partaker, no escape.
What seems to you is a you thing.
That is what I said...It seems to me...
I can't help what you want.
Oh yes, you can. I want to know if you are objecting to "might be partakers"
I don't know. Perhaps you should ask him.
I am asking you if you think he is wrong. That is a simple question for you.
Actually, I'm thinking that we need to become partakers of God's divine nature so that we are able to effectively escape the corruption of the world, and our lusts.
You are thinking that but the scripture is not saying that. The passage says "having escaped"..which is past tense, you are saying ...so that we are able to effectively escape the corruption of the world. But that is not written in the scripture. Therefore that is false teaching...

You don't see it.
that is because it is not there.
And that's a problem for me...
Of course, it is, you are seeing things that are not in the scripture.
Why?

Ok. Let's step through this.

Apparently, in your thinking, you first have to escape the corruption that is in the world because of lust.
It is not my thinking it is what is in the scripture...If you have not escaped the corruption first, how can you be in Christ to become a partaker of the divine nature?
It's not actually possible to become a partaker of the divine nature, until after the escape from the corruption that is due to lust.

Do I have your view correctly stated?
That is correct. If you have not escaped the corruption it means that you are corrupted. You cannot be in Christ if you are corrupted.

What book?
You were quite clear that I'm wrong.
So I'm asking questions.
Is that allowed?
Do you have a list of approved or sanctioned questions? Or am I allowed to ask the questions I want answers to?
I never said there were only two options.
I'm asking questions, because you said I was wrong.

You claimed not to be teaching but it appears that you are.
Nope.
I'm doing exactly what Paul said that people in my position are to do.

Encourage.
I gave you the reference to the point in Romans 12:8.

Are you now telling me that I'm not allowed to be in the body of Christ and fulfill my calling?

How so? You are the one who said that you are not teaching here. When in fact you are.
Sounds like you're imposing your beliefs on me.
That's not a godly practice.
Why would you do that?
I'm doing exactly what Paul said I'm to do.
Encourage.

How does my reading more of the bible help you when you don't seem to know if you are teaching or not?
You're the only one who thinks I'm teaching.

Just what do you think exhortation is?
Do you think that it's just someone who comes along, slaps you on the shoulder and says- keep going. You're doing good!
?
My experience with exhortation is that someone comes along, and gives you spiritual resources to help you continue to grow in your faith in Jesus.

But here you are teaching...
SteveB said:
No partaker, no escape.
Teachers stand at podiums, and put up power point presentations, and deliver impressive lessons. They typically have have anywhere from a dozen to several hundred, if not a few thousand people to whom they give their lessons.

Me... I'm sitting on my couch, punching away on my phone's keyboard. My wife is sitting next to me, we're binge watching an old TV series from a decade ago.
So...
That is what I said...It seems to me...
Do you think that's the best way?

Oh yes, you can. I want to know if you are objecting to "might be partakers"
I provided the entire passage, and explained my views on the entire package didn't I?
It's a matter of which happens first.
Escape or becoming a partaker.

I am asking you if you think he is wrong. That is a simple question for you.
I'm not having a problem with Peter's teaching at all.
Based on numerous other passages, it's pretty clear that in order to enjoy escaping from the corruption of our lust, we need to be partakers of God's divine nature.

You are thinking that but the scripture is not saying that. The passage says "having escaped"..which is past tense, you are saying ...so that we are able to effectively escape the corruption of the world. But that is not written in the scripture. Therefore that is false teaching...
I'm curious...
When you want to make a point, do you ever look at the whole bible, or are you myopically focused on single elements?

Because that's what the false teaching is.

Peter tells us that we are born again by God's word. 1 Peter 1:23.

The new birth is described in Ezekiel 36:25-27.

I notice that the new birth described in Ezekiel 36 starts with God doing several things to and in our lives and ends with us keeping his judgments and ordinances.

Just what do you think escaping the corruption of lust is?

What do you think being a partaker is?

What do you think the divine nature is?

You were quite clear that I'm wrong.
The scripture is clear that you are wrong
So I'm asking questions.
Is that allowed?
Do you have a list of approved or sanctioned questions? Or am I allowed to ask the questions I want answers to?
You can ask whatever you want
I'm asking questions, because you said I was wrong.
I am pointing out the scripture shows that you are wrong.
Nope.
I'm doing exactly what Paul said that people in my position are to do.
Paul did not say to teach false doctrine
Encourage.
I gave you the reference to the point in Romans 12:8.
Rom 12:8 does not say encourage others in false doctrine
Are you now telling me that I'm not allowed to be in the body of Christ and fulfill my calling?
No one is called to encourage others to follow false doctrine.
Sounds like you're imposing your beliefs on me.
I am pointing out the scripture to you
That's not a godly practice.
How is pointing out the scripture to you, not a godly practice?
Why would you do that?
You are assuming that.
I'm doing exactly what Paul said I'm to do.
Encourage.
Paul does not say to encourage false doctrine.
You're the only one who thinks I'm teaching.
To encourage is to give support, you are teaching a specific doctrine that is not in the scripture.
Just what do you think exhortation is?
urging someone to do something
Do you think that it's just someone who comes along, slaps you on the shoulder and says- keep going. You're doing good!
?
that is urging someone to do something
My experience with exhortation is that someone comes along, and gives you spiritual resources to help you continue to grow in your faith in Jesus.
You are not making any sense...Peter said God hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Please explain what other spiritual resources you need apart from what God has given.
Teachers stand at podiums, and put up power point presentations, and deliver impressive lessons.
Did Jesus do that? Paul taught by letters.
They typically have have anywhere from a dozen to several hundred, if not a few thousand people to whom they give their lessons.
Parents teach their kids.
Me... I'm sitting on my couch, punching away on my phone's keyboard. My wife is sitting next to me, we're binge watching an old TV series from a decade ago.
So...
that means you are teaching others your own doctrine without even knowing it.
Do you think that's the best way?
I told you what it seems to me...
I provided the entire passage, and explained my views on the entire package didn't I?
That is your views...you are teaching your views...The passage is saying something different from your views.
It's a matter of which happens first.
Escape or becoming a partaker.
The scripture says having escaped, that means they have already escaped. The scriptures says they might become partakers , that means some have escaped but have not yet become partakers
I'm not having a problem with Peter's teaching at all.
But you are having a problem. You don't understand tense.
Based on numerous other passages, it's pretty clear that in order to enjoy escaping from the corruption of our lust, we need to be partakers of God's divine nature.
You are funny, how did you escape from sin? You do know that corruption is referring to sin, don't you? You must be in sin to escape from sin, is that correct? You are saying that partakers of God's divine nature are in sin and need to escape.
I'm curious...
When you want to make a point, do you ever look at the whole bible, or are you myopically focused on single elements?
How does that help your position? If I want to make a point about what you said I don't go and look at what you did not say to explain what you said.
Because that's what the false teaching is.
Nope, false teaching is saying what the scripture does not say.
Nope, Peter tells us that by purifying our souls in obedience to the truth we are being born again by the word of God...

22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
The new birth is described in Ezekiel 36:25-27.
Jesus is the best teacher when it comes to the new birth.
John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
I notice that the new birth described in Ezekiel 36 starts with God doing several things to and in our lives and ends with us keeping his judgments and ordinances.
We are in the New Testament era...follow Jesus and his apostles.
Just what do you think escaping the corruption of lust is?
Escaping sin
What do you think being a partaker is?
sharing something in common
What do you think the divine nature is?
The same nature as Jesus

@SteveB
You are not making any sense...Peter said God hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
Please explain what other spiritual resources you need apart from what God has given.

The scripture says having escaped, that means they have already escaped.

But you are having a problem. You don't understand tense.
That would be past tense.
The scriptures says they might become partakers , that means some have escaped but have not yet become partakers

.... how did you escape from sin?
SteveB said:
Nope, Peter tells us that by purifying our souls in obedience to the truth we are being born again by the word of God...
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit...
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
You are already clean because of the word. John 15:3
We are in the New Testament era...

sharing something in common
The same nature as Jesus
Now that is present tense.
You are His own people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 1 Peter 2:4-10

Be doers of the word. James 1:21-24

That would be past tense.
that would be any and all tense not being understood
Jesus is speaking to those who are abiding in him. You are using the verse out of context...
Now that is present tense.
To those who are in Christ
You are His own people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 1 Peter 2:4-10
They are out of darkness
Be doers of the word. James 1:21-24
Yep, not hearers only...it does not happen by wishful thinking as some people believe.

JonHawk said:
Jesus is speaking to those who are abiding in him.
Thank you captain obvious.
You are using the verse out of context...To those who are in Christ
Spiritual Fullness in Christ
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, Colossians 2:6
They are out of darkness Yep, not hearers only...it does not happen by wishful thinking as some people believe.
Giving thanks to God for He has delivered us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. Col 1:12-15

You're not paying attention. I did ask, but it was a rhetorical question.

JonHawk said:
Why are gnostics warped? Because they are reprobates. Gary Mac "I do reject redemption through Jesus".
I didn't get redemption THROUGH anyone, I got redemption to the Father the same way Jesus did in Matt 3:16.

You however you only try and get redemption from another source.
Col 3:4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
Not for you for that would be a gnostic lie to even think you can be like Him as Jesus was like Him, anointed pdf God yourself, which you seem to hate as His way.
To which you were called to obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thess 2:14
To be exactly like Him as Jesus was like Him yourself.
In whom we have redemption ...He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. Col 1:12-15
Just as we all are who has the same from God as Jesus had. It is called salvation.

that would be any and all tense not being understood
Some here do not understand anything spiritual.
Jesus is speaking to those who are abiding in him. You are using the verse out of context...
Religios minds are notorious for this.
To those who are in Christ. Ye exactly as he is, Gods anointed.

They are out of darkness
And walk in the light as He is in the light with the same signs following, They just dont believe what they read is all.
Yep, not hearers only...it does not happen by wishful thinking as some people believe.
Many here do not go on spiritually because they prefer to choose what is right instead of relying on God to choose for them. And I suspect with the attitude to be right than not many will understand that statement.

Back