Helen Mar Kimball...

Bonnie

So--are you saying it's not the polygamy you are concerned with--but just any point which is unique to Joseph Smith's polygamy--apart from all the polygamist of the Biblical text?

Bonnie--that is an excellent exhibit of bias, IMO. Swallowing the camel, and choking on a gnat.
I asked you a simple question: Did Abe marry other men's wives while they were still married their first husbands? Yes or no?

Bonnie

You won't have to do any more than read the Biblical witness:

Genesis 25:1-8---King James Version
1Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.
2 And she bare him Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah.
3 And Jokshan begat Sheba, and Dedan. And the sons of Dedan were Asshurim, and Letushim, and Leummim.
4 And the sons of Midian; Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abidah, and Eldaah. All these were the children of Keturah.
5 And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac.
6 But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country.
7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.
Show us where God commanded Abe to take concubines. COMMANDED.

dberrie2020

Show us where God commanded Abe to take concubines. COMMANDED.
I never made any claim God did.

But if God is going to make this kind of claim--then who are we to say otherwise?

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version
4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

How do you explain that? A polygamist--which you have called adultery--being declared by God as one who obeyed God. Kept His commandments.

So--how could a man who committed adultery until the day he died--be considered as such by God, as God isn't a respecter of persons?

7. You shall not commit adultery--no 7 commandment.

Bonnie

I never made any claim God did.

But if God is going to make this kind of claim--then who are we to say otherwise?

4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

How do you explain that? A polygamist--which you have called adultery--being declared by God as one who obeyed God. Kept His commandments.

So--how could a man who committed adultery until the day he died--be considered as such by God, as God isn't a respecter of persons?

7. You shall not commit adultery--no 7 commandment.
Abe obeyed God's commands...was one of them to practice polygamy and to take concubines?

Now, did Abe marry other men's wives while they were still married to their first husbands? Yes or no?

dberrie2020

Abe obeyed God's commands...
Bonnie--you are double speaking, IMO.

Was Abraham's polygamy obedience to God's commands, as if it wasn't--then it was adultery. If it was adultery--then Abraham didn't obey His commands--as one of the commandments is--thou shalt not commit adultery.

That's quite a merry go round, as you have labeled Abraham's polygamy adultery before.

So--was Abraham's polygamy adultery--or in obedience to God's command? It can't be both.

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Bonnie

Bonnie--you are double speaking, IMO.

Was Abraham's polygamy obedience to God's commands, as if it wasn't--then it was adultery. If it was adultery--then Abraham didn't obey His commands--as one of the commandments is--thou shalt not commit adultery.

That's quite a merry go round, as you have labeled Abraham's polygamy adultery before.

So--was Abraham's polygamy adultery--or in obedience to God's command? It can't be both.

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
It is only your opinion. I never intentionally double speak.

I am simply asking you questions. People do lots of things that are fine and dandy with God, that He did not command. I read books. God did not command me to do that, as one example. But I do it.

So--My question was, was one of those commandments Abe obeyed polygamy? Yes or no? If yes, where in the Bible did God command Abe to take Hagar to wife, and to have concubines? And prove that I labeled. Abe's supposed polygamy as adultery. I do not recall that.

And did Abe ever marry other men's wives while they were stil married to their first husbands? Yes or no?

Bonnie

Now, back to the OP. Reread what Maggie wrote. If Helen's marriage to Smith were for eternity ONLY, why was she prevented from going to dances, parties, and such?

Last edited:

Bonnie

So, Bonnie---you claim that David was a man after God's own heart--a man of God. In eternal life.

David had another man murdered, stole his wife--and married numerous wives. Died with numerous wives.

How do you explain the contradiction?
Actually ,where on here did I claim that? God did, when He chose David. But I actually said nothing about that, before you brought it up.. I looked.

Last edited:

Sherman

Love the tactic - using another man's imperfection to excuse Smith's predatory behavior - not! Taking another man's wife is adultery plain and simple. God would have never commanded it.

Bonnie

Love the tactic - using another man's imperfection to excuse Smith's predatory behavior - not! Taking another man's wife is adultery plain and simple. God would have never commanded it.
Neither would He condone marrying other men's wives while they were still married to their first husbands....what do you think God would God have thought, if Abe had done that?

Bonnie

This was our posts?
You said this, in post no. 6 on here:

"So, Bonnie---you claim that David was a man after God's own heart--a man of God. In eternal life."

Post no. 6. Where did I claim that? I said nothing about David in posts nos. 1-5.

You asked the questions in the quote box in post no. 19 and I answered it in post no. 20.

So, where did I personally claim on here in posts no. 1-5 that David was a man after God's own heart?

I

Last edited:

dberrie2020

"So, Bonnie---you claim that David was a man after God's own heart--a man of God. In eternal life."

Post no. 6. Where did I claim that? I said nothing about David in posts nos. 1-5.

You asked the questions in the quote box in post no. 19 and I answered it in post no. 20.

So, where did I personally claim on here in posts no. 1-5 that David was a man after God's own heart?

I
dberrie2020 said:
So--are you claiming--that David isn't now-- really a man after God's own heart?

dberrie2020

I
Are you claiming you don't believe David is a man after God's own heart(today--after his life)--or that you don't believe David has eternal life?

Sherman

Neither would He condone marrying other men's wives while they were still married to their first husbands....what do you think God would God have thought, if Abe had done that?
I would think that Abe would have been punished - Like David was when he took Bathsheba.

dberrie2020

I would think that Abe would have been punished - Like David was when he took Bathsheba.
Why would God punish anyone who met this standard?

Why would God punish those who obeyed Him--and kept His commandments?