Hello

shnarkle

Just came from a theology forum that was becoming too unfocused upon Christ. Looking forward to edification.
Welcome to the group. I think I was visiting that same group a while ago. If I remember correctly, I was down to reading your posts, and one other person when the other person left to form another group.

Welcome to the group. I think I was visiting that same group a while ago. If I remember correctly, I was down to reading your posts, and one other person when the other person left to form another group.
Yes, it was more of a fight club than a thought club. It became too attractive for me to fight, so I knew I needed a change. I really want to only discuss and learn.

shnarkle

Yes, it was more of a fight club than a thought club. It became too attractive for me to fight, so I knew I needed a change. I really want to only discuss and learn.
In my experience, as you may recall, simply ignoring those who "don't have ears to hear" can make discussions considerably more enjoyable. There is much that we can learn from each other, but the real question is whether or not the content is worth the effort.

There are some who have mastered the art of argumentation. I use this term in it's original sense meaning "the action or process of reasoning systematically in support of an idea, action, or theory", but also with regards to the art of conversation.

Others are here just to argue in the modern sense of leveling an attack. They're here to do battle, troll, etc.

This is just my own opinion, but I think one of the best ways to improve my experience in any of these sites is to read through the "what's new" threads, and as I'm reading each post, when I come to a troll, bully, holier than thou, etc., I just simply click on their icon, and then click "ignore". It only takes a day or two to eliminate a few dozen.

When I come to posts which are life affirming, engaging, etc. I can also click on their icons and then click "follow" so I don't miss out on anything they may post in the future.

If I spend more time engaging people who are respectful and civil, they have a tendency to lift me up to their level, while the trolls tend to drag me down to theirs.

You should also review the rules periodically because I've found it quite easy to run afoul of them, and be banned without any explanation.

@shnarkle

EVERY TIME you get an action from a moderator, you should get a notice of your infraction. in this case, 2/5, which means you are discussing moderation. If you want to know more about your infractions write a PM to carm4Him @yahoo. It is the only way to get details on past infractions.

PS
Like Las Vegas, what goes on in other forums stays there. Do not bring it here

One that I found particularly tricky was while engaging in the Catholic forum........ <SNIP> I ran afoul of the rules by agreeing with something that was posted by a Catholic. Since I wasn't Catholic, I couldn't agree with what they were posting within that forum. Fortunately, someone explained this to me, but it's difficult for me to remember so I try to just stay out of that forum altogether because it's too easy for me to forget where I am sometimes.

If you are referring to CARM above, then check out rule 24 here: https://carm.org/uncategorized/carm-discussion-rules/

Last edited by a moderator: