Hell's Daily Body Count

Dant01

Canadian folk singer Gordon Lightfoot released a sentimental song back in 1975
that speaks volumes about sympathy. Its lyrics are very touching. Here's a few that
I feel especially appropriate when talking about things like sickness, death, and the
hereafter.

Rainy day people always seem to know when it's time to call.
Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all.
Rainy day lovers don't lie when they tell 'ya they've been down like you.
Rainy day people don't mind if you're cryin' a tear or two.

I sometimes wonder how much sympathy one can expect in the fiery netherworld. I
mean; sure they'll understand how we might feel about the unfortunate
circumstances in life that led us down there, but once you're there, everyone's
pretty much in the same boat and they're all longing for sympathy too.

In point of fact, I'd not be surprised if the competition for sympathy down there is
on the level of dog eat dog; and likely a fair number of sympathy hoarders
demanding total market share of it. I can just hear their feigned indignity; like this:

"Oh, stop whining already! Don't be such a baby. I deserve more sympathy than
you. I've been down here for two millennia and you've only been down here for a
decade. What've you got to cry about? You should be grateful that your time down
here will end up shorter than mine."

I'd imagine that after a few years in that place the only sympathy that people can
feel after a while is sympathy for themselves.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 281 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 21,108,139 new arrivals have
checked into the fiery sector of Hades since Feb 04, 2021.
_

Dant01

Matt 7:13-14 . . Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is
the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate
and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matt 22:14 . . For many are called, but few are chosen.

Few and Many are relative quantities regardless of their amounts.

For example; no matter how many people are represented by the great crowd
depicted at Rev 7:9-10, their number will be less than the number of folk
represented by the dead depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

In other words: the number of people ultimately saved will be less than the number
of people ultimately lost no matter how big or little their respective numbers turn
out to be.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 284 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 21,333,796 new arrivals have
_

Dant01

1Cor 1:26 . . Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in
the world's eyes

That verse is useful for illustrating that "few" doesn't always pertain to a handful,
rather, it's simply a contrast between the majority and the minority, least vs most,
large vs small, maximum vs minimum, ounces vs pounds, dimes vs dollars, feet vs
yards, etc.

Some of the Bible's uses of the word "wise" don't always apply to folks born with a
high IQ. Wisdom can also pertain to education; which doesn't make someone eo
ipso smart, it just makes them informed; and if informed enough, they can even
qualify as an expert witness in legal matters.

Anyway; education and/or a high IQ have their uses; but are insufficient when it
comes to spiritual matters. In point of fact, those kinds of wisdom can actually be
an impediment. Take for example Carl Sagan. Had his knowledge and his IQ been a
spiritual advantage, then Carl would've stood on the side of intelligent design
instead of opposing it.

It's tragic that Carl went to his grave with his curiosity and so many scientific
questions about the cosmos unanswered, and to top it off, a day is coming when
even Carl's pale blue dot will no longer be available for study.

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth
were passed away." (Rev 21:1)

Can you imagine how delighted Carl would've been to explore Heaven's libraries
where everything to know that can be known about the cosmos is stored? But alas,
Carl will never find out because he was at best an agnostic, at worst an atheist.

NOTE: 1Cor 1:26 isn't saying that no smart people become Christians; only that on
the whole; the smart folk constitute a smaller percentage in comparison to the not
so smart folk.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 287 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 21,559,153 new arrivals have
_

Dant01

1Cor 3:9-15 . .We are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.
According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I
laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But let each man be careful how
he builds upon it. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid,
which is Jesus Christ.

. . . Now if any man builds upon the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones,
wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it,
because it is to be revealed with fire; and the fire itself will test the quality of each
man's work. If any man's work which he has built upon it remains, he shall receive
a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall
be saved, yet so as through fire.

The judgment above is commonly mistaken for the judgment spoken of in Rev
20:11-15. But there are crucial differences worth noting.

1» The fire spoken of at 1Cor 3:5-15 burns the people's works. The fire spoken of
at Rev 20:11:15 burns the people.

2» The people walk away alive from the fire spoken of at 1Cor 3:5-15. None of the
people walk away alive from the fire spoken of at Rev 20:11-15.

3» The people are awarded at the judgment spoken of at 1Cor 3:5-15. The people
are punished at the judgment spoken of at Rev 20:11-15.

The passage is sometimes appropriated by Catholics to defend the doctrine of
Purgatory. However, a note in the current official Catholic Bible-- the 2011 New
American Bible -says: "The text of 1Cor 3:15 has sometimes been used to support
the notion of a purgatory, though it does not envisage this."

If perchance there are Catholics reading this, I should clue them that the non
Biblical materials (foot notes) in the 2011 New American Bible have a nihil obstat
by Reverend Richard L. Schaefer, Censor Deputatus, and an imprimatur by Most
Reverend Jerome Hanus, O.S.B. Archbishop of Duguque.

Nihil Obstat is defined as: The certification by an official censor of the Roman
Catholic Church that a book has been examined and found to contain nothing
opposed to faith and morals.

Imprimatur is defined as: Approval of a publication under circumstances of official
censorship.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 290 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 21,784,510 new arrivals have
_

Dant01

2Cor 5:11 . . Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men;

The Greek word translated "knowing" means to know firsthand, viz: by experience
rather than by education and/or instruction.

In other words; there were incidents at various times in the lives of Paul and his
contemporaries when God frightened them, i.e. scared 'em out of their wits.

I have been challenged on occasion as to how I know for sure that my religion is
true. Well; there's nothing like a good old fashioned close encounter of a third kind
to convince even the most resistant skeptics; and Paul's history attests that his was
a really stubborn case.

Of course if any of us were to claim to "know" the terror of the Lord, we'd be
singled out as kooks and crackpots; but for some of us, fear is the only persuasion
that works.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 293 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 22,009,867 new arrivals have
_

Dant01

Christ is often thought of as a pacifist. But the fact of the matter is, Christ and the
Old Testament's fearsome God are in total agreement.

John 10:30 . . I and my Father are unified.

In other words; Christ would never disapprove of the Flood, nor of the incineration
of Sodom and Gomorrah. In point of fact, via the person of the Word of God
depicted in the opening verses of John's gospel; the gentle Jesus was on hand for
those events, and only too happy to lend a hand.

John 8:29 . . He that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I
do always those things that please Him.

It sometimes puzzles me why Christ's enemies weren't more afraid of him because
when you think about it: if he could cure blindness, then he could just as easily
cause it, and if he could cure paralysis, then he could just as easily cause that too;
and if he could cure the deaf and the dumb, then he could just as easily take away
people's ability to speak and hear; and if he could cure leprosy, then he could just
as easily infect people with it.

And if he could multiply a little to feed thousands, then he could just as easily
thwart abundance to cause the starvation of millions; and if he could calm a storm,
then he could just as easily generate a hurricane; and if he could replace a severed
ear, then he could just as easily remove an ear; and if he could turn water into
wine, then he could just as easily turn water into acid; and if he could exorcise
demons, then he could just as easily muster demons for wide-spread possession.

The first time Christ came, he came as a victim; the next time he will come as a
conqueror. One day out ahead, the sweet little babe away in manger is taking the
reins of this planet, and his administration will be neither soft hearted nor soft
headed.

Ps 2:9-12 . .You will rule them with an iron scepter; you will dash them to pieces
like pottery. Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Serve The Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the son, lest he be angry
and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 296 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 22,235,224 new arrivals have
_