Hell's Daily Body Count

FAQ: What is meant by soul?

REPLY: Soul began appearing in the Bible in the book of Genesis by the Hebrew
word nephesh (neh'-fesh) which isn't unique to human life. Its first appearance is at
Gen 1:20-21 in reference to aqua creatures and winged creatures; again at Gen
1:24 as terra creatures; viz: cattle, creepy crawlies, and wild beasts; and again in
Gen 2:7 as the human creature; and yet again at Gen 9:10 to classify every living
thing aboard Noah's ark.

* God is said to have a soul. (Lev 26:11, Lev 26:30, Judg 10:16, Isa 42:1, Jer
32:41, and Zech 11:8)

Soul is somewhat ambiguous but basically refers to consciousness, self awareness,
and individuality. It's sometimes a reference to one's heart, e.g. Gen 34:3, and to
the core of one's being, e.g. Gen 27:4.

All in all, soul is just another way of referring to that part of human life that we call
"self" which can be roughly defined as the who that you are.

Jesus' followers can expect to retain their souls when they pass on, but things are
not looking good for the lost. According to Matt 10:28, people's souls survive
normal death, but do not survive Hell fire. That fact gives me pause to question
whether people condemned to the lake of fire-- depicted by Rev 20:11-15 --will be
aware of their circumstances in an environment that destroys both soul and body.

NOTE: Apparently the rich man of Luke 16:19-31 wasn't in the Hell fire yet when he
spoke with Abraham because he's depicted as completely sentient.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 521 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 39,136,999 new arrivals have
checked into the fiery sector of Hades since Feb 04, 2021.
_

FAQ: What is meant by soul?

REPLY: Soul began appearing in the Bible in the book of Genesis by the Hebrew
word nephesh (neh'-fesh) which isn't unique to human life. Its first appearance is at
Gen 1:20-21 in reference to aqua creatures and winged creatures; again at Gen
1:24 as terra creatures; viz: cattle, creepy crawlies, and wild beasts; and again in
Gen 2:7 as the human creature; and yet again at Gen 9:10 to classify every living
thing aboard Noah's ark.

* God is said to have a soul. (Lev 26:11, Lev 26:30, Judg 10:16, Isa 42:1, Jer
32:41, and Zech 11:8)

Soul is somewhat ambiguous but basically refers to consciousness, self awareness,
and individuality. It's sometimes a reference to one's heart, e.g. Gen 34:3, and to
the core of one's being, e.g. Gen 27:4.

All in all, soul is just another way of referring to that part of human life that we call
"self" which can be roughly defined as the who that you are.

Jesus' followers can expect to retain their souls when they pass on, but things are
not looking good for the lost. According to Matt 10:28, people's souls survive
normal death, but do not survive Hell fire. That fact gives me pause to question
whether people condemned to the lake of fire-- depicted by Rev 20:11-15 --will be
aware of their circumstances in an environment that destroys both soul and body.

NOTE: Apparently the rich man of Luke 16:19-31 wasn't in the Hell fire yet when he
spoke with Abraham because he's depicted as completely sentient.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 521 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 39,136,999 new arrivals have
_
We are defined as living souls.

Deut 34:5-6 . . Moses the servant of The Lord died there in the land of Moab,
according to the word of The Lord. And He buried him in the valley in the land of
Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.

A very curious scene unfolded during Moses' burial.

Jude 1:9 . . Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the Devil and argued
about the body of Moses, did not dare to accuse him of blaspheme, but said: "The
Lord rebuke you."

* Though the passage above shows God responsible for Moses' burial, the actual
labor was apparently assigned.

Anyway; if the Devil would interfere with the burial of a holy man like Moses, then I
think we can safely assume he (or one of his minions) probably interferes with the
burials of ordinary folk too; and I should think the smartest way for him to interfere
is to ensure the minister comes out with nothing useful in his eulogy; but instead
with the usual mushy rhetoric by which nobody hearing it can be saved. (Just goes
to show that the Devil is not above walking over the bones of the dead to get what
he wants.)

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 540 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 40,564,260 new arrivals have
_

Ps 73:3-17 . . I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the
wicked. Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.

Matt 16:26 . . For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses
his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

It's been my observation that many of the powerful folks controlling education,
finance, manufacturing, governance, entertainment, food production, health care,
pharmaceuticals, print media and broadcast news, etc, are quite lacking scruples,
and conduct their affairs as if foreign sovereigns with no one to answer to beyond
the sphere of their existence. But of course they know something's coming because
God instilled that awareness within their ancestors' inner being.

Gen 1:27 . . God created man in his own image, in the image of God created He
him; male and female created He them.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 559 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 41,991,521 new arrivals have
_

FAQ: Do people in Hell have eternal life?

REPLY: Eternal life is a divine form of life unavailable to folks in Hell-- down there
they're all stuck with human life.

By applying one's concept of the natures of bird life, bug life, human life, and/or
beast life, we can attain at least some concept of the nature of divine life.

According to 2Pet 1:2-4 there is a measure of divine life available to certain folk
who qualify for it. Divine life doesn't turn folks into gods, but it does make them
similar to God in certain respects-- actually similar to His son; which is a very big
advantage.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 567 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 42,592,473 new arrivals have
_

1Cor 4:4 . . My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.

Man was created with as near a perfect conscience as a creature can be given.

Gen 1:27 . . God created Man in His own image, in the image of God created He
him.

But then came the forbidden fruit incident by which Man's near-divine conscience
underwent something that caused it to become humanistic.

Gen 3:22 . . The Lord God said: The man has now become like one of us, knowing
good and evil.

Man was able to discern between good and evil before his fall, but that was by
means of a conscience influenced by its maker. The forbidden fruit incident altered
Man's conscience to become his own influence, i.e. Man became defensive, and he
rationalizes a lot too. (Rom 2:14-15)

I think the writer of 1Cor 4:4 was well aware of just how tricky Man's conscience
can be so he was reluctant to insist upon his innocence-- a little sophistry here and
a little there, and even monsters like Communist China's Xi Jinping and North
Korea's Kim Jong-Un can be persuaded in their own minds to believe themselves
okay guys.

1 John 1:8 . . If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves

Jer 17:9-10 . .The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick;
who can understand it? . . . I, The Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to
give to each man according to his ways, according to the results of his deeds.

The upside is: Christ's crucifixion not only serves to save people from their sins, but
according to Heb 9:8-14 it saves them from their conscience too.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 584 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 43,869,496 new arrivals have
_

Matt 25:41 . .Then he will say to those on his left: Depart from me, you who are
cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.

That's likely a reference to Rev 20:10 where it says:

"And the Devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone,
where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night
forever and ever."

I'm not all that well-informed about the future, but I'm pretty sure that both the
beast and the false prophet are human beings. Well; if the Greek word apollumi
(Matt 10:28) speaks of nothing more than obliteration, then how it is that those
two guys are existing in the lake when the Devil arrives?

The thing is: apollumi is somewhat ambiguous. It doesn't always mean obliteration,
for example Matt 2:13 which says:

"Herod will seek the young child to destroy him."

And/or Matt 5:29 which says:

"It is profitable for you that one of your members should perish, and not that your
whole body should be cast into Hell."

And/or Matt 8:25 which says:

"Lord, save us: we perish."

And/or etc, etc, etc. The list just goes on and on and on where apollumi means
more than obliteration, i.e. something always remains to reckon with, for example
Heb 2:14 which says:

"Through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the
Devil."

Rev 20:10 assures me that the Devil's destruction doesn't obliterate him; he will be
kept in existence to undergo perpetual suffering; and I think it's pretty safe to
assume that those on the King's left per Matt 25:41 will be there too.

One of my favorite lines from the movie "Titanic" is when Mr. Ismay protests that
this ship cannot sink; and Mr. Andrews responds: She's made of iron, sir! I assure
you, she can... and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

There are folks at large all across the internet, and around the globe, sincerely
believing that Hell isn't a place of perpetual conscious suffering. They, like Mr.
Ismay, will be utterly stunned and bewildered beyond comprehension to discover
it's exactly that.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 595 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 44,695,805 new arrivals have
_

Folks react to misfortune in a sort of four-step process. The first is usually disbelief,
followed by anger, then despair, and finally adjustment.

In the movie "Shawshank Redemption" a man is given two life sentences for
murders he didn't commit. At first he feels very strongly that the truth will come
out that he's innocent and doesn't belong in prison: he expects to eventually be
exonerated and set free.

Well, one of the old-timers cautioned him about that with the advice: "Hope is a
dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's no use on the inside. You'd
better get used to that idea."

I'd imagine that most new arrivals in Hell go thru the four-step process and at first
hope against hope that it isn't permanent. It probably takes quite a while for them
to get used to the idea that it is what it is, i.e. they're never getting out.

Were Hell a normal penal colony like San Quentin or Riker's Island; then I think
most folks would eventually settle down and accept it as a way of life. But the
element of fire makes adjustment very difficult. If only there was at least some
water to help folks beat the heat, that would be very helpful. And maybe recreation
and/or something to occupy their minds like reading, writing, art, and construction
projects. I really don't know how people don't run mad with insanity from the
boredom down there.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 617 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 46,348,423 new arrivals have
_

In Jesus' case, mortality/immortality pertained only to his body rather than to both
his body and himself. Were that not so, then Jesus would've ceased to exist when
he expired on the cross, and in order to restore his corpse to life; it would've been
first necessary to restore the man himself to life.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that human life is entirely physical which, for them, isn't
exactly true. They hold to something called "life force" which enables the core of
one's being to exist. The life force is versatile. It can be taken from a spirit body,
transferred to a human body, and then transferred back again to the spirit body
from whence it came.

The JW life force suggests an interesting possibility. Supposing when folks are
terminated in the lake of fire per Rev 20:11-15, their life force survives to be
transferred to a spirit body; enabling them to be perfectly suited to join the Devil
and his angels per Matt 25:41, thus keeping the lost in existence for as long as God
deems necessary to accomplish retribution for their works per Rev 20:12.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 622 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 46,724,018 new arrivals have
_

1 Tim 6:7 . .We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry
nothing out.

Christians walk a strange path. On the one hand they have to be ready to leave this
life on a moment's notice, while on the other hand ready for a long stay, i.e. live
like there's no tomorrow, and yet live like there are years to come.

Those two dissimilar expectations balance each other so that we don't live to
extremes in either direction: always keeping in mind that as we came into this
world empty-handed we will leave it empty-handed. So everyone should be
prepared to suffer the loss of every personal item in their possession that they hold
dear; along with every project and every endeavor.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 632 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 47,775,208 new arrivals have
_

When people pass away, they leave all behind, including the clothes they wore for
burial. Well; what are guys to do with their hands in Hell without pockets to put
them in?

Personally, I like to hook my thumbs in the front pockets of my jeans while waiting
in lines and such. I prefer that to folding my arms.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 648 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 48,677,112 new arrivals have
_

FAQ: Do people in Hell have immortality?

REPLY: No.

FAQ: Do people in Hell have eternal life?

REPLY: No.

FAQ: If so that people in Hell have neither immortality nor eternal life, then how
can it be possible their conscious suffering is perpetual?

REPLY: There's a level of existence about which I know practically nothing.

People in Hell lose their bodies when the pass on, so that rules out immortality.
They keep human nature when they pass, so that rules out eternal life.

The dark side of this world consists of spirit beings. I strongly suspect that when
the lost pass on, they themselves become existent as spirit beings-- but I don't
think they become demons or devils or some such.

For example: the story told at Luke 16:19-31 portrays a man in Hades entirely
sentient. He has a tongue, and vision, and hearing, and is capable of speech. Plus;
his memories are intact, and he's capable of anxiety. From all appearances, the
man is fully human except of course he's no longer physical.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 658 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 49,428,302 new arrivals have
_

"Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us.

On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every
human being who ever was, lived out their lives.

The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies,
and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every
creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in
love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher
of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every
saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-- on a mote of dust
suspended in a sunbeam."
(Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot-- on imaging from Voyager 1)

The Earth is like a death star, careening thru space, looping around and around
the Sun many times over and again: a floating grave yard whose soil is filled with
the dead from many centuries stretching back to Abel: the first of its passengers to
return to the dust from whence they came.

Eccl 7:2 . . It is better to spend your time at funerals than at festivals. For you
are going to die, and you should think about it while there is still time.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 663 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 49,803,897 new arrivals have
_

"Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us.

On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every
human being who ever was, lived out their lives.

The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies,
and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every
creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in
love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher
of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every
saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-- on a mote of dust
suspended in a sunbeam."
(Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot-- on imaging from Voyager 1)

The Earth is like a death star, careening thru space, looping around and around
the Sun many times over and again: a floating grave yard whose soil is filled with
the dead from many centuries stretching back to Abel: the first of its passengers to
return to the dust from whence they came.

Eccl 7:2 . . It is better to spend your time at funerals than at festivals. For you
are going to die, and you should think about it while there is still time.

BODY COUNT UPDATE: 663 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures
in post No.1 are in the ball park, then something like 49,803,897 new arrivals have
_
One of my Christian friends recently used the topic of there are more people going to hell than heaven to justify Christ coming back soon. The coming of Christ is a debate for a different thread, so I won't go into it, but my friend noticed this to be a moral issue in Christianity.

The question that naturally arises is why did God create us when He knew more would go to hell than heaven?

A logical answer came shortly after meditating on this ethical dilemma. Since God is love and love is not selfish, but wants to share with others, God's nature is to share His love with as many as possible. Love is not robotic, but has to be given and received freely. Thus, due to God's nature being love, He could not deny His nature so He created beings that He could love and could experience His love even though God knew more would not experience His love than those who will experience His love.

With all of this being said, it is better to have some experience God's love than no one experience God's love.

In addition to this, the descendants of Abraham will be more numerous than the stars. This most likely is not a literal statement, but is still encouraging to know that over the years there will be lots of individuals who will experience God's love forever.

If, however, the descendants of Abraham being as numerous as the starts is actually literal, then Jesus the Christ will not be coming back for thousands upon thousands of years.

Food for thought. ?

In addition to this, the descendants of Abraham will be more numerous than
the stars. This most likely is not a literal statement, but is still encouraging
to know that over the years there will be lots of individuals who will
experience God's love forever.

If, however, the descendants of Abraham being as numerous as the starts is
actually literal, then Jesus the Christ will not be coming back for thousands
upon thousands of years.

In Abraham's day, prior to the invention of optics, the only stars that people could
see with their own eyes were those in our home galaxy; the Milky Way; which
consists of an estimated 100-400 billion stars. But many of those estimated billions
of stars appear to the naked eye not as stars but as glowing clouds; viz: they
cannot be individually distinguished by the naked eye so those didn't matter to
Abraham when it came to actually tallying the heavens.

The entire global sky contains roughly five or six thousand stars visible to the naked
eye. However, we can't see all those stars at once; only the ones when the sky is
dark. So then; in Abraham's day, he could see at most three thousand discernible
stars from dark till dawn. God had said "if you are able to count them". Well; even
at only three thousand, the task would be difficult.
_

In Abraham's day, prior to the invention of optics, the only stars that people could
see with their own eyes were those in our home galaxy; the Milky Way; which
consists of an estimated 100-400 billion stars. But many of those estimated billions
of stars appear to the naked eye not as stars but as glowing clouds; viz: they
cannot be individually distinguished by the naked eye so those didn't matter to
Abraham when it came to actually tallying the heavens.

The entire global sky contains roughly five or six thousand stars visible to the naked
eye. However, we can't see all those stars at once; only the ones when the sky is
dark. So then; in Abraham's day, he could see at most three thousand discernible
stars from dark till dawn. God had said "if you are able to count them". Well; even
at only three thousand, the task would be difficult.
_
That's an interesting point. The scripture also states this:

"I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore."
Genesis 22:17

The sand on a seashore is a whole lot more than just thousands. I've visited many seashores and trying to count the sand would be an almost impossible task. I imagine there would be trillions upon trillions of grains of sand just on a small seashore.

Back