Hermeneutics and Exegesis

Sethproton

Why bother? There are endless reference works, for example: The Baylor Handbooks. The late Anthony Thiselton's Commentary on 1 Cor. He published an unreadable reference work on Hermeneutics.
We are talking about going after truth at a different level. It is still truth, and it is still based on the Word.
I admire people who do all the eductional steps needed to learn tools, but you find that those who do that, get even further apart from each other doctrinally. Not always but often. If those with the deepest educational doctrinal and exegetical backgrounds are at odds, it does tell us that education alone id not going to guarantee perfect doctrine.

civic

Johnny, I have tried my best to engage with you in a step by step conversation about the meaning of scripture.
You are not interested.
You believe Calvinism and you did before you came to the forum.
Nonsense both Arminians , Calvinists and others have witnessed you gaining johnnybgood the run around in several threads asking you to define words and cite your sources which you have yet to do just one time. He asked you about Heb 13:7 and 1 Tim 2:5 which you never demonstrated. Those are 2 short verses which you cried that it would take to long. And you claim to have taught a class ?

That would take every bit of 10 minutes if you have experience and maybe an hour if you do not have much experience.

What do you think of these NT commentary sets: Pillar, Word, NIGNT, NICNT, Baker ?
I have used them for half a century. My first was Leon Morris on John's Gospel. The Word series is very uneven and I just picked a few good ones and several not so good ones. I have a ton of books on the Apocalypse of John. Aune, Beale ... all the way back to H. B. Swete. I have unloaded most of these on the next generation. My current focus is reading church fathers in Greek.

Theo1689

My argument is that every Evangelical is a Calvinist at heart...

I forget who it was, I want to say it was Phil Johnson...
Apparently many years ago, he was in a Bible study group, and as usual, they prayed for God to let people see the truth of what was taught in Scripture. Aftetr they prayer, Phil asked the leader why they pray for God to lead them to truth if everyone has free will? The leader thought about that, and apparently stopped including that part in his prayer.

It opened the study leader's eyes one way ("long live free will!")
And it opened up Phil's eyes another way ("It's a Biblical prayer").

I've also heard some comment that all Arminians pray as if they were Calvinists.

The only TRULY Arminian prayer I've ever heard is from Jimmy Stewart's grace in the movie Shenandoah:

"Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvest it. We cook the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen."

civic

I have used them for half a century. My first was Leon Morris on John's Gospel. The Word series is very uneven and I just picked a few good ones and several not so good ones. I have a ton of books on the Apocalypse of John. Aune, Beale ... all the way back to H. B. Swete. I have unloaded most of these on the next generation. My current focus is reading church fathers in Greek.
Looks like we have many of the same commentaries on John’s writings including Swete :)

ReverendRV

I forget who it was, I want to say it was Phil Johnson...
Apparently many years ago, he was in a Bible study group, and as usual, they prayed for God to let people see the truth of what was taught in Scripture. Aftetr they prayer, Phil asked the leader why they pray for God to lead them to truth if everyone has free will? The leader thought about that, and apparently stopped including that part in his prayer.

It opened the study leader's eyes one way ("long live free will!")
And it opened up Phil's eyes another way ("It's a Biblical prayer").

I've also heard some comment that all Arminians pray as if they were Calvinists.

The only TRULY Arminian prayer I've ever heard is from Jimmy Stewart's grace in the movie Shenandoah:

"Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvest it. We cook the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen."
I know I can go right now and speak to anyone in my SBC Church, and get them to agree with Calvinism without them even knowing it...

Johnnybgood

Johnny, I have tried my best to engage with you in a step by step conversation about the meaning of scripture.
You are not interested.
You really do not know the difference between a Calvinist and Arminian. I believe 2 maybe 3 points which disqualifies me as a Calvinist.

Theo1689

You are not interested.

Seth, he has explicitly DENIED being a Calvinist, and explicitly denied believing in Limited Atonement. He also said he has difficulties with (IIRC) either the "U" or the "I".

How much do you have to deny Calvinism to avoid you labelling someone a Calvinist?
Or do you simply label anyone who disagrees with you about anything, a Calvinist?

Johnnybgood

Seth, he has explicitly DENIED being a Calvinist, and explicitly denied believing in Limited Atonement. He also said he has difficulties with (IIRC) either the "U" or the "I".

How much do you have to deny Calvinism to avoid you labelling someone a Calvinist?
Or do you simply label anyone who disagrees with you about anything, a Calvinist?
Thank you

ReverendRV

You really do not know the difference between a Calvinist and Arminian. I believe 2 maybe 3 points which disqualifies me as a Calvinist.
It takes all 5-Points to be a Calvinist. There are other classifications for people who hold to less than five...

Sethproton

Thank you
I doubt you deny a single Calvinist idea. Never seen you here speak against anything Calvinists say. though you disagree with anti-Calvinist.
Your claim that you came into these forums undecided wore thin right away as it was clear who you were already agreeing with

Theo1689

Sounds like my memory (unlike Seth's) was pretty accurate.
If believing what you believe makes you a "Calvinist", then that must mean EVERYONE in the SBC would be a Calvinist.

And people like Adrian Rogers, Ergun Caner, Paige Patterson, and others would take issue with being called "Calvinists", simply for holding the same views you do.

Theo1689

I doubt you deny a single Calvinist idea. Never seen you here speak against anything Calvinists say. though you disagree with anti-Calvinist.

I've never seen you speak against anything Mormons say.
I guess that means you're Mormon, huh?

"Seth-logic".

Sethproton

I've never seen you speak against anything Mormons say.
I guess that means you're Mormon, huh?

"Seth-logic".
Yes, it does not come up here much, so you may have missed it. Mormons have a false jesus, and then that probably fosters a doctrinal mess downstream of that. I have never studied that much about them.
Whereas Johnny came here agreeing whith every Calvinst in every post