Hey!

It's like a liquor store here. They're all ignoring each other while perusing the goods.

Kidding. Ish.

Let's kick things off here with a question (or seven). What makes a person a Reformed Baptist? How do you differ from other reformed people? Does any Baptist agree with (or even tolerate) pedobaptism? What creeds do you adhere to/acknowledge? Are you the same as a plain ol' Baptist (lame question, but I hope you know what I mean)? To what extent do you agree with Lutherans? Was John the Baptist the first of your denomination? (Sorry, the last few questions were due to the fact that I ran out of questions at four, but had to keep asking to make it seven.)

Nice to meet you, SovereignGrace. He is sovereign. He is Grace. Two critical aspects of His nature that we just flat out minimize. Great name.

OH! I'm a reformed, former non-denom-turned-Presby. I'd just say now that I'm a biblical believer. Sovereignty and grace. Not legalistic about baptism--just do it in obedience. Do it or affirm it. Not sure there's a difference. (Pretty sure here's where we'll have gracious conversations!)

Some might call me a hyper-Calvinist (I get that a lot), but I wouldn't. God is God. All that is True, Good, and Just is from Him. By definition, all He does is True, Good, and Just. We either follow and obey by grace through faith, or we don't. Either way...His sovereign election.

Okay. Let's get this party started!

It's like a liquor store here. They're all ignoring each other while perusing the goods.

Kidding. Ish.

Let's kick things off here with a question (or seven). What makes a person a Reformed Baptist? How do you differ from other reformed people? Does any Baptist agree with (or even tolerate) pedobaptism? What creeds do you adhere to/acknowledge? Are you the same as a plain ol' Baptist (lame question, but I hope you know what I mean)? To what extent do you agree with Lutherans? Was John the Baptist the first of your denomination? (Sorry, the last few questions were due to the fact that I ran out of questions at four, but had to keep asking to make it seven.)
(snip)
Following the Reformed theological tradition. Although that is a bit of a misnomer for me because I'd say it is following the Bible. Most who adhere to closely to the "Calvinist" side and "Arminian" side define each others positions in, at best, heterodox terms bordering on heretical. However, an expansion on that would require a different forum.

Mainly for social and cultural reasons. I'm in an area with many Baptists, am familiar with Baptist traditions. It is a useful shorthand for a basic position on beliefs. Unfortunately many Baptist (like Methodist & Presbyterian) churches are no longer preaching the Word. Otherwise, I don't see at as any different from any Reformed position that has slightly different liturgical practices.

No. A christening or dedication ceremony are appropriate. I was, in fact, christened in a Presbyterian church as a baby, but learned as a grew up that the ceremony (similar to the dedication in a Baptist church for my son) was more for the parents to vow before God, with the congregation as a witness, that the parents would raise this child in the faith. Salvation was left to God.

Most, if not all of them. Definitely the earliest ones. I'm being lazy and not checking them all. If you want another shorthand (although not so short), look up the Westminster Catechism. You can find one by Spurgeon online with Scripture proofs.

Old school ones, yes. Some of the modern ones tend too much to Churchianity and SBC (unless it has changed drastically in the last decade) has come to mean Slowly Becoming Catholic.

Depends on the particular synod's teachings.

No. Heh, the big "core" teaching for outsiders is full immersion baptism. I think it is a great idea for the symbology (liturgy), but it is not an article of faith that determines salvation, as a good Baptist preacher will tell us. If you are saved, the form does not matter except as a ceremony to show your submission to God through Christ. If you are not saved, you simply get wet to a greater or lesser extent.

Where are all the Reformed Baptist folk at?

#SpeakUp
BraveGorgeousBasenji-small.gif

Kidding. Ish.

Nice to meet you, SovereignGrace. He is sovereign. He is Grace. Two critical aspects of His nature that we just flat out minimize. Great name.

OH! I'm a reformed, former non-denom-turned-Presby. I'd just say now that I'm a biblical believer. Sovereignty and grace. Not legalistic about baptism--just do it in obedience. Do it or affirm it. Not sure there's a difference. (Pretty sure here's where we'll have gracious conversations!)

Some might call me a hyper-Calvinist (I get that a lot), but I wouldn't. God is God. All that is True, Good, and Just is from Him. By definition, all He does is True, Good, and Just. We either follow and obey by grace through faith, or we don't. Either way...His sovereign election.

Okay. Let's get this party started!

“What makes a person a Reformed Baptist?“

I would say it’s holding to the 1677/1689 LBCoF. But I’m sure there’s some disagreement in that, as I don’t believe the papacy en toto is the anti-Christ.

“How do you differ from other reformed people?“

I do not agree with paedobtism, but I don’t get bent out of shape, seeing they don’t see it as salvific as the RCC does.

“Does any Baptist agree with (or even tolerate) pedobaptism?“

I‘d say they don’t agree with it(if they did, they’d be Presbyterian ;) ) but most tolerate it. I felt like I lost a friend when Dr. R. C. Sproul passed away. :(

“What creeds do you adhere to/acknowledge?“

Three Forms of Unity
1689 Second LBCoF
Athanasian Creed
Apostle Creed
1646 WCoF(don’t agree with paedobaptism, but I won’t fall out over it)

“Are you the same as a plain ol' Baptist (lame question, but I hope you know what I mean)?“

Baptist covers a large area. There are differing views over soteriology, Christology, eschatology, I’d even say ecclesiology, &c. I’d just be considered a reformed Baptist who adheres to TULIP, lean towards Historic Premillennialism, and believe the local church members are the ones who control church(they are the ones who make decisions on how the church is governed, and the Pastor(s) lead the flock, but if he goes too far with his leadership, the church members have the authority to vote him out of his pastorate).

“To what extent do you agree with Lutherans?”

Don’t know enough about their beliefs to give an educated answer.

“Was John the Baptist the first of your denomination?”

He was also referred to as John the Baptizer, iirc. So, I’d say no.

“(Sorry, the last few questions were due to the fact that I ran out of questions at four, but had to keep asking to make it seven.)

That‘s okay. If you need further clarification, just let me know. :)

I would say it’s holding to the 1677/1689 LBCoF. But I’m sure there’s some disagreement in that, as I don’t believe the papacy en toto is the anti-Christ.

“How do you differ from other reformed people?“

I do not agree with paedobtism, but I don’t get bent out of shape, seeing they don’t see it as salvific as the RCC does.

I‘d say they don’t agree with it(if they did, they’d be Presbyterian ;) ) but most tolerate it. I felt like I lost a friend when Dr. R. C. Sproul passed away. :(

“What creeds do you adhere to/acknowledge?“

Three Forms of Unity
1689 Second LBCoF
Athanasian Creed
Apostle Creed
1646 WCoF(don’t agree with paedobaptism, but I won’t fall out over it)

“Are you the same as a plain ol' Baptist (lame question, but I hope you know what I mean)?“

Baptist covers a large area. There are differing views over soteriology, Christology, eschatology, I’d even say ecclesiology, &c. I’d just be considered a reformed Baptist who adheres to TULIP, lean towards Historic Premillennialism, and believe the local church members are the ones who control church(they are the ones who make decisions on how the church is governed, and the Pastor(s) lead the flock, but if he goes too far with his leadership, the church members have the authority to vote him out of his pastorate).

“To what extent do you agree with Lutherans?”

Don’t know enough about their beliefs to give an educated answer.

“Was John the Baptist the first of your denomination?”

He was also referred to as John the Baptizer, iirc. So, I’d say no.

“(Sorry, the last few questions were due to the fact that I ran out of questions at four, but had to keep asking to make it seven.)

That‘s okay. If you need further clarification, just let me know. :)
How would see define a reformed Baptist from a Calvinist Baptist then?

Dunno. Are they the same? I consider myself a Calvinist, but not along the same vein as my Presbyterian Brothers and Sisters.
Would see the main difference between reformed and Calvinist is that Reformed Baptists use Confession of faith and hold to all of CTm while Calvinist do not use Confessions and do not take all CT!

(snip)

(snip)
I'd differ by saying that the RCC (as in all Roman Catholics) in toto is anti-Christ, but the papacy is in its teachings and doctrines. Quick examples would be Immaculate Conception, Papal Infallibility and the elevation of Church doctrine (like the previous two) to the same level of authority as the Bible.

Given that the Presbyterians I know of don't call it a baptism, you might have a problem there. Well, at least the ones I attended as a child and teen. It was pretty much the same type of dedication ceremony we had in a Baptist church with my son as an infant without getting the top of his head wet.

Does any mainstream denomination besides the RCC consider it to have anything to do with salvation?

Does any Baptist agree with (or even tolerate) pedobaptism?

Agree with? Nope.
Tolerate? Yes.

What creeds do you adhere to/acknowledge?

Well, I would start with the LBCF (1689), but maybe I'm biased.... ;)

Are you the same as a plain ol' Baptist (lame question, but I hope you know what I mean)?

Not sure...

That seems like asking, "Is a Texan the same as plain ol' American?"
Texas is a subset of America.
Reformed Baptist is a subset of "Baptist".

To what extent do you agree with Lutherans?

Only about that Emo Phillips Joke. ;)
Lutheranism strayed from Luther's theology when Melanchthon took over.

Was John the Baptist the first of your denomination?

Only for a dad joke....

No. A christening or dedication ceremony are appropriate. I was, in fact, christened in a Presbyterian church as a baby, but learned as a grew up that the ceremony (similar to the dedication in a Baptist church for my son) was more for the parents to vow before God, with the congregation as a witness, that the parents would raise this child in the faith. Salvation was left to God.

I was infant baptized in my mom's Anglican church.
I was later baptized as an adult in my first church as a believer (an Arminian church).

SBC (unless it has changed drastically in the last decade) has come to mean Slowly Becoming Catholic.

I haven't heard that one before. It doesn't sound surprising.

Agree with? Nope.
Tolerate? Yes.

Not sure...

Only for a dad joke....
Would you see Calvinistic Baptists like John Macarthur as a further subset then?

Agree with? Nope.
Tolerate? Yes.

Not sure...

Only for a dad joke....
I don't believe JM identifies as Baptist.
Why so people quote JM like scripture? I don't get it.

Back