Holy Spirit indwelling.......when? A question for the Calvinists.

Oldsaint24

A staunch Calvinist took exception to my statement that receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit is conditional. His position was that all children of God have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

So I asked him and he so far has refused to answer this simple question concerning his theology.....

My question was/is..........After the sovereign act of regeneration by the Holy Spirit is the now regenerate immediately/simultaneously indwelled with the Holy Spirit?

So, Calvinists what is your position on this point? Is the indwelling immediately/simultaneously upon the act of regeneration? Or is the indwelling at some indefinite time later, after the act of regeneration?

Also, is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit conditional upon an action(s) by the regenerate child of God?

Woody50

A staunch Calvinist took exception to my statement that receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit is conditional. His position was that all children of God have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

So I asked him and he so far has refused to answer this simple question concerning his theology.....

My question was/is..........After the sovereign act of regeneration by the Holy Spirit is the now regenerate immediately/simultaneously indwelled with the Holy Spirit?

So, Calvinists what is your position on this point? Is the indwelling immediately/simultaneously upon the act of regeneration? Or is the indwelling at some indefinite time later, after the act of regeneration?

Also, is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit conditional upon an action(s) by the regenerate child of God?
Question: why does this matter? Are you trying to make a point?

Oldsaint24

Question: why does this matter? Are you trying to make a point?
Ahhhhhh.......yes. I was being corrected that receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit is conditional. I say it is conditional.

Is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit conditional upon an action or some effort by the regenerate child of God? What do you say....what does Calvinism say?

Oldsaint24

He should change his screen name Gotcha. He thinks he is wise but in reality it’s the opposite.
And once again you will not defend your very own statements. Which is not a very good Calvinists bent....but a rampant practice.

Hey, you took exception to what I wrote. Just defend your position. OK?

G

guest1

And once again you will not defend your very own statements. Which is not a very good Calvinists bent....but a rampant practice.

Hey, you took exception to what I wrote. Just defend your position. OK?
No need to since you NEVER use scripture and just post paragraphs of gobblygook. So there is nothing to refute.

Oldsaint24

Nah. "Gotcha" implies he's smart.

Try Rom 1:22.

That works.
Let's see.......you just called me a fool by implication with quoting Romans. Which is fine. You have the freewill to think and write as you wish. That's between you and the Father.

But let's dialogue a bit about the Op and see who is the "smarter" between you and me. Ok? Regardless of your accusation , I am up to the challenge. Defend yourself.

Is receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit conditional upon an act/effort of the child of God? You obviously agree with Civic. Defend your position.

Oldsaint24

No need to since you NEVER use scripture and just post paragraphs of gobblygook. So there is nothing to refute.
Can't defend your position.........can you? Just make excuse after excuse.....evasion after evasion. Typical Calvinist response to anything that exposes the error of their beloved dogma.

Honestly.....how do you ever expect to learn anything if you won't face your contradictions?

Woody50

Let's see.......you just called me a fool by implication with quoting Romans. Which is fine. You have the freewill to think and write as you wish. That's between you and the Father.
Nope.
But let's dialogue a bit about the Op and see who is the "smarter" between you and me. Ok? Regardless of your accusation , I am up to the challenge. Defend yourself.
Okay!
Is receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit conditional upon an act/effort of the child of God? You obviously agree with Civic. Defend your position.
Are you saying it isn't. It's clear in Scripture. You asked the question, tell me more about your position.

G

guest1

Can't defend your position.........can you? Just make excuse after excuse.....evasion after evasion. Typical Calvinist response to anything that exposes the error of their beloved dogma.

Honestly.....how do you ever expect to learn anything if you won't face your contradictions?
More empty rhetoric void of scripture.

next...........

another wasted thread with the same ole lame ole anti C garbage

Oldsaint24

More empty rhetoric void of scripture.

next...........

another wasted thread with the same ole lame ole anti C garbage
Here' a novel idea......why don't you address the op? Just for once , answer a simple question about your theology......ok?

G

guest1

Here' a novel idea......why don't you address the op? Just for once , answer a simple question about your theology......ok?
Here is a noble idea quit asking the same question every day.

newsflash- our answers never change.

next................

Oldsaint24

Here is a noble idea quit asking the same question every day.

newsflash- our answers never change.

next................
Why will you not face up to your contradictions? Let's discuss your objection concerning what I write....ok?
Let us start with whether all children of God have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. You previously stated that they do. Which means the indwelling of the Holy Spirit has to be immediately/ simultaneously with the sovereign act of regeneration.

Have I stated your theology correctly? If not.....please explain what is incorrect and why.

Surely you acknowlege/agree that the very act of regeneration is what makes a spiritually dead child of man into a child of God? I mean..... I think Jesus said somewhere "You must be born from above....." referring to regeneration by the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:

Oldsaint24

Nope. It's not.

You obviously don't understand that which you argue against.
Ok. You say receiving the promise of the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit is not conditional.

That means immediately/simultaneously the Holy Spirit indwells at regeneration. After all the sovereign act of regenetation is what makes one a child of God.

Do you agree with that? If not why?