Homeschooling advantages & disadvantages...

robycop3

The advantages of homeschooling is that kids can learn at their own pace, year 'round. It depends, of course, on the parents' own knowledge & their ability to teach. Also, a religious education can be taught. (I believe it's the family's job to teach religion, not a school's.)

The disadvantages are that a homeschooled kid doesn't pick up much "street knowledge" nor social skills, & doesn't often meet with a lagge mix of peers. However, a growing trend is to allow homeschoolers to participate in the local school district's extracurricular activities such as sports, cheerleading, plays, field trips, & various clubs. (After all, the parents are usually paying taxes to that district.)

I hope that all parents who homeschool have the knowledge & ability to do so. A good example are the children of Ree Drummond, the "Pioneer Woman". Both she & her hubby Ladd are college grads, & their kids participated in many extracurricular activities & made many friends from many backgrounds til they were old enough to go to college.

Beloved Daughter

Good words roby. I have taken my M.ed material and now run a homeschool consultant business.

In AZ we have full support from school districts.

robycop3

Good words roby. I have taken my M.ed material and now run a homeschool consultant business.

In AZ we have full support from school districts.
Those Drummond kids were homeschooled because there's no school near them, & the fact that they're rich didn't hurt, as well as their parents' high education levels, & their religious beliefs.

My oldest son & daughter-in-law are homeschooling my 6-yr.old grandson this year, due to covid concerns. He's already reading some, printing well, learning cursive writing, & doing all 4 math operations. Unlike some kids, he LOVES learning & showing off what he's learned. He understands about the pandemic, & why he can't play with friends as he did last year.

Homeschooling is not for every parent or child, & it shouldn't be done over religion. Teaching kids about God is the PARENTS' job, & the kids need to learn there are bad people in the world. Isolating their kids from them doesn't teach them, & sooner or later, they're gonna encounter wickedness. They need to be PREPARED how to handle it.

Authentic Nouveau

Those Drummond kids were homeschooled because there's no school near them, & the fact that they're rich didn't hurt, as well as their parents' high education levels, & their religious beliefs.

My oldest son & daughter-in-law are homeschooling my 6-yr.old grandson this year, due to covid concerns. He's already reading some, printing well, learning cursive writing, & doing all 4 math operations. Unlike some kids, he LOVES learning & showing off what he's learned. He understands about the pandemic, & why he can't play with friends as he did last year.

Homeschooling is not for every parent or child, & it shouldn't be done over religion. Teaching kids about God is the PARENTS' job, & the kids need to learn there are bad people in the world. Isolating their kids from them doesn't teach them, & sooner or later, they're gonna encounter wickedness. They need to be PREPARED how to handle it.
My wife was a magnet school gifted coordinator. HS She had a lot of students enrolled in the University 1 block away during HS.
2 of our children were in a gifted class within a regular public grade school building. 5 students in one room and an age span of 5 years.

Set up like a home school. Our daughter went on and in to middle school and finished her university engineering math before starting High School. Our daughter was a track star at the university Her doctorate Engineering. We saw a lot of home school children at state track meets.

Our son skipped H.S. and was teaching math at the university when he was 21. His doctorate math and he also taught chemistry.

It is all about commitment.

Buzzard

A huge number of parents have, for years complained of what is taught in Public Education,
but now that most schools have shut down,
home schooling has the support of Public Ed
whats that said about a Silver Lining,
what an opportunity this Pandemic has given parents the opportunity
to un-teach what their children have been indoctrinated in Public ed

Authentic Nouveau

A huge number of parents have, for years complained of what is taught in Public Education,
but now that most schools have shut down,
home schooling has the support of Public Ed
whats that said about a Silver Lining,
what an opportunity this Pandemic has given parents the opportunity
to un-teach what their children have been indoctrinated in Public ed
The parents can catch the political garbage pushed by some teachers.