How about the Beatitudes?

bigthinker

Interesting that we rarely see Christians mention the Beatitudes. More often we see very demands that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. Have you ever heard anyone demand that the Sermon on the Mount be posted anywhere?
How about
"Blessed are the merciful" in a courtroom?
Or
"Blessed are the peacekeepers" in the Pentagon?

Authentic Nouveau

Interesting that we rarely see Christians mention the Beatitudes. More often we see very demands that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. Have you ever heard anyone demand that the Sermon on the Mount be posted anywhere?
How about
Or

You and I can agree atheists strive to the total opposite of The Beatitudes. Fail Stalin

Your support of abortion. Killing babies is not going to get blessed

Mr Laurier

How about
Or
Alas, christian fundamentalism is as far removed from the teachings of Jesus as one can get.

Tiburon

How about
Or

Or "Blessed are the Cheesemakers"

bigthinker

Alas, christian fundamentalism is as far removed from the teachings of Jesus as one can get.
You and I can agree atheists strive to the total opposite of The Beatitudes. Fail Stalin

Your support of abortion. Killing babies is not going to get blessed
lol. I love the "disconnected from reality" nature of your posts. Very entertaining. The way you pretend to not quite know how to respond so you just post whatever crazy idea pops into your head is pretty amazing. Excellent performance.

Torin

Related to the Wicked / Adulterous Bible, this is interesting:

I especially found this amusing:

"Owl Bible", from 1944: "Owl" replaces "own", making 1 Peter 3:5 read, "For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their owl husbands." The error was caused by a printing plate with a damaged letter n.

Diogenes

I saw that earlier, I did like this:

• "Sin On Bible", from 1716: Jeremiah 31:34[13] reads "sin on more" rather than "sin no more".

Edit: Just looked up the verse

For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more

so the errata isn't quite as funny

The Pixie

How about
Or
No capitalist - i.e., wealthy preacher - wants to see:

Luke 6:20 Looking at his disciples, he said:
Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
24 ‘But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Excellent! I was not familiar with that, thanks for the link; very interesting.
You should read Pratchett & Gaiman's Good Omens [one of my favourite Pratchett books]..

Near the beginning where Crowley and Aziraphale are in St James' Park there is a short diversionary section on Aziraphale's passion for book collecting and his complete set of the Infamous Bibles [examples: https://www.history.com/news/historys-worst-biblical-misprints].

That section also includes a hilarious account of the various printing disasters of the mid seventeenth century printers Messrs. Bilton and Scaggs who printed two [now lost] plays by a certain William Shakespeare, The Trapping of the Mouse, and Golde Diggers of 1589. ;)

Hypatia_Alexandria

And the Geneva translation that confused Jesus with Judas!

Or the Murderers Bible where a "k" mistakenly replaced an "f" leading to Jesus saying "Let the children first be killed,” I suppose some modern pro-lifers might call that one the Abortionists Bible.:eek:

Hypatia_Alexandria

How about
Or

You rarely see them citing Matthew 25. 31-46 [known as the Judgement of the Nations] either.

In fact we invariably get quotes from John's gospel or Paul. Hardly ever the gospel of Mark.

How about
Or
I think all we need is the Golden Rule. If you follow that then you follow the Beatitudes and the Ten Commandments. Also some version of the Golden Rule exists in almost every religion - Islam has it, Hinduism has it, even the atheist philosophy of Humanism has it.
  • Christianity: "Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets."
  • Buddhism: "Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
  • Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty; do naught unto others what you would not have them do unto you.”
  • Islam: "No one of you is truly a believer until he wishes for others that which he wishes for himself.”
  • Secular Humanism: "We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.
If every Christian, atheist, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist and Scientologist did just this the world would be a much better place :)

bigthinker

its just good to know that the bible is an infallible, reliable resource,
I think all we need is the Golden Rule. If you follow that then you follow the Beatitudes and the Ten Commandments. Also some version of the Golden Rule exists in almost every religion - Islam has it, Hinduism has it, even the atheist philosophy of Humanism has it.
  • Christianity: "Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets."
  • Buddhism: "Treat not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
  • Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty; do naught unto others what you would not have them do unto you.”
  • Islam: "No one of you is truly a believer until he wishes for others that which he wishes for himself.”
  • Secular Humanism: "We are committed to treating each person as having inherent worth and dignity, and to making informed choices in a context of freedom consonant with responsibility.
If every Christian, atheist, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist and Scientologist did just this the world would be a much better place :)
This is all very nice and sweet but who goes to hell?

bigthinker

No capitalist - i.e., wealthy preacher - wants to see:

Luke 6:20 Looking at his disciples, he said:
Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
24 ‘But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
And no capitalist Christian wants to acknowledge this:
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."