How about the Beatitudes?

Diogenes

And no capitalist Christian wants to acknowledge this:
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

They're probably tired of dealing with the quote-mining.

Hypatia_Alexandria

And no capitalist Christian wants to acknowledge this:
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Of course they do not. None of them seem overly interested in spreading the good news as Jesus commanded his disciples to do in Matthew 10 and Luke 10 either.

The Pixie

They're probably tired of dealing with the quote-mining.
It annoys me when atheists use that verse too, because there are verses that are far more explicitly addressed to all Christians.

Luke 12:32 ‘Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Diogenes

It annoys me when atheists use that verse too, because there are verses that are far more explicitly addressed to all Christians.

Luke 12:32 ‘Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Luke 14:33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

Stick to one thread.

its just good to know that the bible is an infallible, reliable resource,

This is all very nice and sweet but who goes to hell?
Luckily nobody. Right now we do not have enough evidence to prove that hell even exists. So let's all just be nice to each other while we are here on Earth until we figure out what comes after :)

bigthinker

But believing people who don't think like us are going to hell is most of the fun of religions!

Imagine what we could accomplish if we were all able to chill out and be cool to each other.