How 'bout dis?

SovereignGrace

I read all the time on various Christian forums how some ppl reject the clearly biblically taught truth of faith being a gift of God. They readily jump to places where it says "your faith has ____", or "your faith has _____".

Alrighty, then how 'bout dis?

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."[Matthew 5:16]

Now, whose light is this? It is ours[the your in the above verse] or is it Christ's light that shines in us?

I read all the time on various Christian forums how some ppl reject the clearly biblically taught truth of faith being a gift of God. They readily jump to places where it says "your faith has ____", or "your faith has _____".

"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."[Matthew 5:16]

Now, whose light is this? It is ours[the your in the above verse] or is it Christ's light that shines in us?
How about you answering how your view can cohere if the only way men can believe isto be irresistibly gifted with faith

Men needed to be hardened so they could not believe

John 12:40 —KJV
“He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.”

had men not hardened themselves they could have believed

Acts 28:27 —KJV
“For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

Jesus spoke to men in parables to prevent their understanding

Matt. 13:10–14 —KJV
“And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:”

none of these make sense in your theology

nor does this

Matthew 13:18–22 (ESV) — 18 “Hear then the parable of the sower: 19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. 20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. 22 As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

that is contrary to the Calvinists interpretation of 1cor 2:14

and of course, Calvinism has no explanation for a faith which is but temporary

can

How about you answering how your view can cohere if the only way men can believe isto be irresistibly gifted with faith

“He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.”

“For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

“And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:”

nor does this

Matthew 13:18–22 (ESV) — 18 “Hear then the parable of the sower: 19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. 20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. 22 As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful.

can
None of this 👆👆👆👆👆👆 addresses the OP. Please do not derail this thread.

The topic of this thread is the "Let YOUR light shine before men and whose LIGHT is it ours of Christ's that shines in us."

If you cannot address that, then I kindly ask you to butt out and not derail this thread.

Last edited:
Your words

It appears you are not able to def3nd them and they are refuted by

nor does this

the passages I posted
Again, NONE OF THIS 👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆addresses the topic in the OP. Please stay on topic or butt out. Your off topic diatribes are not welcome here. All you are posting are rabbit trails that have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC.

Now, will you please answer the light we shine? Is it ours or is it Christ’s that shines in us?

Again it addresses comments you made

Your words

It appears you are not able to defend them

but then Calvinists often fail to address comments contrary to their theology

That’s not the topic of the OP. I was using that as a comparison to the topic of the OP.

The topic of the OP is Matthew 5:16 and the “your light” and whose light is it? Our’s or Christ’s that shines in us.

So whose light is it?

Ours? 👈
Christ’s? 👈

Now @fltom, which one is it? That’s the topic of the OP, not the gift of faith.

If Christ, (Gods anointing), is the way, the truth, and the life, and people say they are of Christ then why aren't they like Him as Jesus was like Him?

If they are not as Jesus was , the one God sent to show us His ways and how to live it, and anointed of God as Jesus was then they really are not of Christ at all are they?
This post, too, does not address the topic of the OP, or at least does not answer it, as it’s rather fuzzy what you are trying to say.

Both.

Good OP; hard to answer.

On the one hand we are so post to matter.

On the other hand .....

We are not everything.

Last edited:

"Our light" is our individual expression of character and lifestyle. It is the example that our deeds and choices display to the world around us.

Why do you doubt Jesus's simple, straight forward language. If he meant to say, "let my light shine through you", he would have said it. Are our good works referring to Jesus's works, or our individual expressions of good deeds?

That we can do nothing without him does not mean that our acts are done by him. They are through him, but not his acts! Our light, our behaviors and example before men is ours, expressed through his grace, but ours in identification and responsibility.

Doug

# 12

Work Out Your Own Salvation

"Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God which worketh in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure.—Php 2:12-13.

....Against this danger the Apostle utters a warning. He exhorts the Christians at Philippi to self-reliance. Do not, he says, depend upon me. Work out your own salvation—not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence. In depending upon yourselves you are depending upon God, for it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do.

....It is to save them from this snare that the Apostle presses the Philippians to work out, each man for himself, his own salvation; to cultivate, each man for himself, a religion which connects him, individually and apart from all others, with his God.1 [Note: H. Woodward, Sermons, 450.]

The truth is that men are apt to look (1) in edifices of wood and stone, (2) in great and ancient institutions, for that perfection which, if it can be found at all on earth, is to be sought in the lives of individuals. The true temple of God is the heart of man, and there the image of Christ may be renewed again and again, and effaced again and again. Neither is there any limit to the perfection which is attainable by any one of us, for Christ says: “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” But there is a limit to the perfection of outward institutions. ...."
Vs 13 explains vs 12. We don’t work out our own salvation by our own strength but it is the Spirit of God working within us.

Our Lord clearly said "let your light shine" not "let His light shine".

So whose light did our Lord said for us to shine?

We are to shine our light before others...that is what He said.

God bless

Our Lord clearly said "let your light shine" not "let His light shine".

So whose light did our Lord said for us to shine?

We are to shine our light before others...that is what He said.

God bless
Once we have been given the light of Christ to indwell us, God counts it, very graciously, as our light.

Once we have been given the light of Christ to indwell us, God counts it, very graciously, as our light.
Whose light did our Lord say for us to shine ours or His?

The answer is very clear. You cannot say "His" for that is clearly not what He said. If you say it is His, then you are also acknowledging we have control over His light shining through us, thus our Lord is subservient to our will not us to His. I can decide not to love others as He wants me to, thus my darkness wins over His light.

If one reads the teaching of our Lord in the passages, then one can understand our Lord is telling us to be sincere about our faith and love of God and others, not merely appearing so by religious observance such as the Pharisee's of His day. Our light then is the life of goodness we live in accordance to our love of God and others....the whole sum of the Law.

God bless

The answer is very clear. You cannot say "His" for that is clearly not what He said. If you say it is His, then you are also acknowledging we have control over His light shining through us, thus our Lord is subservient to our will not us to His. I can decide not to love others as He wants me to, thus my darkness wins over His light.

If one reads the teaching of our Lord in the passages, then one can understand our Lord is telling us to be sincere about our faith and love of God and others, not merely appearing so by religious observance such as the Pharisee's of His day. Our light then is the life of goodness we live in accordance to our love of God and others....the whole sum of the Law.

God bless
Do the lost have a light to shine to the world?

God bless
Can the lost be called “the light of the world”?

Back