How can scripture tell us what salvation means?

York

There are many things scripture says are applied to the saved. They are described as saved, they are credited with righteousness, they are put in Christ, they are born again, their old man is crucified with Christ, they are adopted as sons, they are made holy and righteous in His sight, they are 'going to heaven', etc.

Now if scripture is to tell us, the saved, what being saved involves, it is going to have to do two things:

1. Indentify the audience being addressed as the saved. It must use some term which is identified with saved people. This to avoid the not saved thinking such things apply to them.

2. It must tell that audience something about what being saved means.

For example. The saved are described as the rigtheous. So if a sentence said " the righteous shall be adopted as sons of God" we have both 1 and 2 above satisfied and know something about what is applied to the saved.

"Us in him" is a collective word for the saved. So if we read a verse which says: "God chose us in him to be made holy and righteous in his sight" we would again see the audience being identified and that audience being told something that is applied to them.

If we said "God predestined us in him to be adopted as sons" the same would apply. And we would know that God predestined that us in hims would be adopted as sons.

How is scripture to tell us what applies to us, if it doesn't do 1 and 2?

And if it's not possible without 1 and 2, how can we read 1 and 2 type verses in any other way but this way?

Theo1689

There are many things scripture says are applied to the saved. They are described as saved, they are credited with righteousness, they are put in Christ, they are born again, their old man is crucified with Christ, they are adopted as sons, they are made holy and righteous in His sight, they are 'going to heaven', etc.

Now if scripture is to tell us, the saved, what being saved involves, it is going to have to do two things:

1. Indentify the audience being addressed as the saved. It must use some term which is identified with saved people. This to avoid the not saved thinking such things apply to them.

2. It must tell that audience something about what being saved means.

For example. The saved are described as the rigtheous. So if a sentence said " the righteous shall be adopted as sons of God" we have both 1 and 2 above satisfied and know something about what is applied to the saved.

"Us in him" is a collective word for the saved. So if we read a verse which says: "God chose us in him to be made holy and righteous in his sight" we would again see the audience being identified and that audience being told something that is applied to them.

If we said "God predestined us in him to be adopted as sons" the same would apply. And we would know that God predestined that us in hims would be adopted as sons.

How is scripture to tell us what applies to us, if it doesn't do 1 and 2?

And if it's not possible without 1 and 2, how can we read 1 and 2 type verses in any other way but this way?

Since you seem to want to only discuss hypotheticals, and not concrete situations, I'm not sure what the point of your rant is.

1) The saved are identify as those who "believe/trust in Jesus Christ".

2) What being saved means is that they will spend eternal life with God.

What's your point?

York

Since you seem to want to only discuss hypotheticals, and not concrete situations, I'm not sure what the point of your rant is.

1) The saved are identify as those who "believe/trust in Jesus Christ".

2) What being saved means is that they will spend eternal life with God.

What's your point?
I'll discuss what I want with anyone who wants to. If you have a problem with it you know what to do. Or not do.

The saved are identified in many ways. Unless you believe that all who call on the name of the Lord won't be saved.

And eternal life with God is but one thing applied to them.

Theo1689

I'll discuss what I want with anyone who wants to.

It doesn't appear that you're "discussing" anything with ANYONE.
Or haven't you noticed that yet?

If you have a problem with it you know what to do. Or not do.

I'm only pointing out the problem with your thread.
If you don't like my advice, no one's forcing you to take it.

But don't blame me when your thread dies a slow, agonizing, embarrassing death.

civic

I'll discuss what I want with anyone who wants to. If you have a problem with it you know what to do. Or not do.

The saved are identified in many ways. Unless you believe that all who call on the name of the Lord won't be saved.

And eternal life with God is but one thing applied to them.
I answered in your other thread about calling on the Lord but you have not responded.

York

It doesn't appear that you're "discussing" anything with ANYONE.
Or haven't you noticed that yet?

I'm only pointing out the problem with your thread.
If you don't like my advice, no one's forcing you to take it.

But don't blame me when your thread dies a slow, agonizing, embarrassing death.
That's quite revealing about how you view your own musings.

Embarrassed if no one answered a thread I started?? Farting in a lift with only a pretty woman as fellow passanger. Now that would be embarrassing 🤪

TomFL

That's quite revealing about how you view your own musings.

Embarrassed if no one answered a thread I started?? Farting in a lift with only a pretty woman as fellow passanger. Now that would be embarrassing 🤪
A lift ?

Where are you from ?;)