How Charles H. Spurgeon Became A Calvinist At Age 16

Sketo

I enjoy testimonies that glorify God and wanted to share this one in particular. Enjoy...

He had not always believed these things. Spurgeon recounts his discovery of these truths at the age of 16:

Born, as all of us are by nature, an Arminian, I still believed the old things I had heard continually from the pulpit, and did not see the grace of God. When I was coming to Christ, I thought I was doing it all myself, and though I sought the Lord earnestly, I had no idea the Lord was seeking me. . . . I can recall the very day and hour when first I received those truths in my own soul — when they were, as John Bunyan says, burnt into my heart as with a hot iron. . . .

One week-night, when I was sitting in the house of God, I was not thinking much about the preacher’s sermon, for I did not believe it. The thought struck me, “How did you come to be a Christian?” I sought the Lord. “But how did you come to seek the Lord?” The truth flashed across my mind in a moment — I should not have sought Him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, “How came I to pray?” I was induced to pray by reading the Scriptures. “How came I to read the Scriptures?” I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, “I ascribe my change wholly to God.
[Autobiography, Vol. 1 (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1962, orig. 1897), pp. 164–165]

Charles Spurgeon was a contemporary of George Mueller. He was the pastor of the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London and the most famous pastor of his day — and a Baptist at that. His preaching was powerful to the winning of souls to Christ. But what was his gospel that held thousands spellbound each week and brought many to the Savior?

I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless we preach what is nowadays called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel . . . unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption (limited atonement) of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called. [Autobiography, Vol. 1 (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1962, orig. 1897), p. 168]

Spurgeon started a college for pastors and was intent that the key to being a worthy teacher in the church was to grasp these doctrines of grace.

Arminianism is thus guilty of confusing doctrines and of acting as an obstruction to a clear and lucid grasp of the Scripture; because it misstates or ignores the eternal purpose of God, it dislocates the meaning of the whole plan of redemption. Indeed confusion is inevitable apart from this foundational truth [of election].

Without it there is a lack of unity of thought, and generally speaking they have no idea whatever of a system of divinity. It is almost impossible to make a man a theologian unless you begin with this [doctrine of election].

You may if you please put a young believer to college for years, but unless you shew him this ground-plan of the everlasting covenant, he will make little progress, because his studies do not cohere, he does not see how one truth fits with another, and how all truths must harmonize together. . . .

Take any county throughout England, you will find poor men hedging and ditching that have a better knowledge of divinity than one half of those who come from our academies and colleges, for the reason simply and entirely that these men have first learned in their youth the system of which election is a center, and have afterwards found their own experience exactly square with it.
(“Effects Of Sound Doctrine,” sermon delivered on Sunday evening, April 22, 1860, at New Park Street Chapel)

brightfame52

sketo post

I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless we preach what is nowadays called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel . . . unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption (limited atonement) of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called. [Autobiography, Vol. 1 (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1962, orig. 1897), p. 168]

Agreed 100 %

TomFL

No Calvinism is not the gospel and the gospel was preached for 400 years before Augustine intoduced divine determinism of all things into Christianity

The gospel concerns Christ; his birth , death and resurrection and the atonement through faith in his shed blood

To introduce a manmade doctrine of meticulous divine determination of all things into this is to dilute the gospel not preach it

and it certainly is not good news for those arbitrarily passed over

Be like Paul preach Christ and him crucified

Sketo

No Calvinism is not the gospel and the gospel was preached for 400 years before Augustine intoduced divine determinism of all things into Christianity

The gospel concerns Christ; his birth , death and resurrection and the atonement through faith in his shed blood

To introduce a manmade doctrine of meticulous divine determination of all things into this is to dilute the gospel not preach it

It’s ok if you don’t understand it... but Charles Spurgeon understood it...

preacher4truth

More erroneous blathering nonsense with a category error.

Yes, the Gospel is the death, burial, resurrection and sighting of Christ; 1 Corinthians 15.

We all know that.

That doesn't make arguing soteriology (how Christ saves via His Gospel) a false gospel, nor does showing that God is Sovereign in choosing by only His will a false Gospel.

Scripture shows God's Sovereignty over all, including those whom He wills to save. That is the truth of the matter. You hate that truth, it is what drives you.

On the other hand, introducing man is able, chooses himself into heaven by free will (never mentioned in Scripture) in spite of the above facts, which are the ingredients of your errant "gospel," isn't only a dilution of the gospel, it is then a false gospel.

So, you need to look in the mirror before trying to lamely blast others on how they express the Gospel and soteriology and say that when they do this they are in essence false teachers, as you, quite apparently add a man-made false gospel into your own message, and it is completely bankrupt and devoid of the Biblical narrative.

So enough with the pretense that you preach nothing other than the death, burial, and resurrection and preach a pure "that only" gospel. You add in man-made anti-biblical teachings.

Last edited:

brightfame52

You dont preach Christ aright if you deny the saving efficacy of His Cross, and for whom His Cross was particularly for. Most man made religions has Christ death falling short of actually accomplishing Salvation for the Sheep, and make it merely make salvation possible depending on man to make it a reality. Thats a false gospel and christ.

Theo1689

It saddens me when non-Calvinists become advocates for evil sinners who are enemies of God.

The gospel was NEVER for unrepentant sinners.
The gospel was ONLY for those "who believe".
And not everyone believes.
Because not everyone was GIVEN faith by GOD.

The gospel was NEVER this:

"God loves you, and God is TRYING to save you, but God is impotent, and He can't save you by Himself, He needs YOUR help, YOU need to cooperate, and so you can get some of the glory and praise for your 'free will' decision".

THAT is not the gospel
THAT is what "dilutes" the gospel.

Arminians are doing the equivalent of breaking into people's homes at Christmas time, and stealing some of the presents given by parents to children, and taking those gifts and giving them to people they were NEVER intended to be given to.

You CANNOT take a gift that was given from A to B, give it to someone it was never intended for, "C", and disrespect God by YOU choosing who GOD will give His gifts to.

civic

It saddens me when non-Calvinists become advocates for evil sinners who are enemies of God.

"God loves you, and God is TRYING to save you, but God is impotent, and He can't save you by Himself, He needs YOUR help, YOU need to cooperate, and so you can get some of the glory and praise for your 'free will' decision".

THAT is not the gospel

Arminians are doing the equivalent of breaking into people's homes at Christmas time, and stealing some of the presents given by parents to children, and taking those gifts and giving them to people they were NEVER intended to be given to.

You CANNOT take a gift that was given from A to B, give it to someone it was never intended for, "C", and disrespect God by YOU choosing who GOD will give His gifts to.
Yes I liken it to the Kingdom and all the parables. God love/charity/grace is available to all in the kingdom but many do not receive His gifts with grace, gratitude, thanksgiving. Only those who genuinely receive Him prove to be His followers and are under His rulership and remain faithful to the King. And those who receive Him are those who were so by His will not their own as per John 1:13 and are the elect, predestined, chosen and the ones who were first appointer to eternal life then believed and even that ability to believe is a gift.

Why anyone would even think within themselves they would choose to come to God when they by nature love their sin and hate God is beyond me. Even Arminius knew in mans fallen state there is nothing we can do to come to Christ.

Theo1689

Why anyone would even think within themselves they would choose to come to God when they by nature love their sin and hate God is beyond me. Even Arminius knew in mans fallen state there is nothing we can do to come to Christ.

One contrast that keeps coming up in these discussions is "God-centred" and "man-centred".

Calvinism - preach the gospel because the salvation of sinners glorifies GOD.

Arminianism - preach the gospel because it benefits SINNERS who become saved.

TomFL

More erroneous blathering nonsense with a category error.

Yes, the Gospel is the death, burial, resurrection and sighting of Christ; 1 Corinthians 15.

We all know that.

That doesn't make arguing soteriology (how Christ saves via His Gospel) a false gospel, nor does showing that God is Sovereign in choosing by only His will a false Gospel.

Scripture shows God's Sovereignty over all, including those whom He wills to save. That is the truth of the matter. You hate that truth, it is what drives you.

On the other hand, introducing man is able, chooses himself into heaven by free will (never mentioned in Scripture) in spite of the above facts, which are the ingredients of your errant "gospel," isn't only a dilution of the gospel, it is then a false gospel.

So, you need to look in the mirror before trying to lamely blast others on how they express the Gospel and soteriology and say that when they do this they are in essence false teachers, as you, quite apparently add a man-made false gospel into your own message, and it is completely bankrupt and devoid of the Biblical narrative.

So enough with the pretense that you preach nothing other than the death, burial, and resurrection and preach a pure "that only" gospel. You add in man-made anti-biblical teachings.
Its very simple present a gospel passage that speaks of the meticulous determination of all things

If you can't then it is not the gospel

And I did not blast anyone i simply denied that is the gospel

brightfame52

Back in 1984 summer, I was convinced of limited atonement and Gods exclusive Love for the Elect. God used John Owens treatise " The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" Until then I was what you call a 4.5 , I believed all the points but limited atonement, now I see how i was inconsistent. When you put it all together all points of the doctrines of grace are a unified whole. The Gospel of Gods Grace !

Theo1689

And I did not blast anyone i simply denied that is the gospel

Who cares what you "deny"?
Do you claim to be the "boss" here?
Do you claim to be God?
All you have is your own personal opinion, which is no better than anyone else's.

TomFL

You dont preach Christ aright if you deny the saving efficacy of His Cross, and for whom His Cross was particularly for. Most man made religions has Christ death falling short of actually accomplishing Salvation for the Sheep, and make it merely make salvation possible depending on man to make it a reality. Thats a false gospel and christ.
Sorry i do not deny the saving efficacy of the cross

It saves all who believe just as it was designed

It does not save unbelievers

TomFL

THAT is not the gospel

You are a little confused

This is not about unrepentant sinners it is about men unconditionally reprobated and determined to a course of action from eternity

That is inescapable if all things were decreed before the foundation of the earth without regard to whatever would

transpire in any given circumstance

brightfame52

Sorry i do not deny the saving efficacy of the cross

It saves all who believe just as it was designed

It does not save unbelievers
Yes you do. You teach that people Christ died for will be lost. Thats denial of the saving efficacy of the Cross.

Theo1689

You are a little confused

No, YOU are a LOT confused.

This is not about unrepentant sinners

Really?!
So you are claiming that all sinners are repentant?
Or are you denying that all men aren't sinners?

it is about men unconditionally reprobated and determined to a course of action from eternity

So are you claiming that the reprobate aren't sinners?
Or are you claiming that the reprobate aren't unrepentant?

TomFL

Who cares what you "deny"?
Do you claim to be God?
All you have is your own personal opinion, which is no better than anyone else's.
And who cares what you care about

Do you claim to be God?

Theo1689

And who cares what you care about

Do you claim to be God?

I was going to predict that you would respond just like that, "I know you are, but what am I"?

I'M the one who doesn't claim infallibility.
I'M the one who says, "what's the point in arguing the same point ten million times."
I'M the one who says, "let's agree to disagree".
I'M not the one who posts in EVERY thread.
I'M not the one who TAKES OVER every thread, as if it was your own personal blog.

YOU are the one who constantly needs to have the last word.
YOU are the one who needs to "proclaim" that everyone else is wrong.
YOU are the one who is compelled to respond EVERY SINGLE TIME someone says something you disagree with.
YOU are the one who stalks and harasses people who claim they have no interest in discussion with them, and CONSTANTLY demanding they answer all your questions.

Last edited: