How do you like your gospel? Straight up, or in a mix?

Theo1689

I believe Arminians and Calvinists have the same gospel. And it goes like this:

1) God is holy.
2) man is a sinner.
3) The wages of sin is death.
4) All people are under condemnation.
5) But God sent His Son to die for sin.
6) Everyone who believes on the Son will have eternal life.

But there are some who hate the idea that others might disagree with, and likely don't understand (or don't want to acknowledge) the difference between the "gospel" and "theology". So they try to claim (uncharitably) that the other side proclaims a "false gospel".

So let's see how that works.

The Arminian "Gospel"

"God loves you, and He WANTS so badly to save you, but He's impotent to save you Himself, He sent His Son to die for EVERY man on Earth. But He needs your help, and if you don't believe in Him, you will spend eternity in torment, and He won't lift a finger to prevent it. But as your suffering in torment, remember that He still LOVES you!"

The Calvinist "Gospel"

"God is Holy, and must condemn all sin. And all men have sinned, and are under eternal condemnation for their sin. But God has decided to show mercy and grace, and He sent His Son to die on a cross to atone for sin. And God has chosen a particular number of sinners, and has chosen them from the foundation of the world, to personally love them, and to apply the blood of Jesus to atone for their sin, so they are freed from the eternal torment they justly deserve. And you can know if you are one of those whom God chose to love, despite your sins, because He will regenerate you, and give you a new heart to love God, and will give you faith to believe in Him. And so if you trust in Him to atone for your sins, you can know that He has saved you."

I believe Arminians and Calvinists have the same gospel. And it goes like this:

1) God is holy.
2) man is a sinner.
3) The wages of sin is death.
4) All people are under condemnation.
5) But God sent His Son to die for sin.
6) Everyone who believes on the Son will have eternal life.

But there are some who hate the idea that others might disagree with, and likely don't understand (or don't want to acknowledge) the difference between the "gospel" and "theology". So they try to claim (uncharitably) that the other side proclaims a "false gospel".

So let's see how that works.

The Arminian "Gospel"

"God loves you, and He WANTS so badly to save you, but He's impotent to save you Himself, He sent His Son to die for EVERY man on Earth. But He needs your help, and if you don't believe in Him, you will spend eternity in torment, and He won't lift a finger to prevent it. But as your suffering in torment, remember that He still LOVES you!"

The Calvinist "Gospel"

"God is Holy, and must condemn all sin. And all men have sinned, and are under eternal condemnation for their sin. But God has decided to show mercy and grace, and He sent His Son to die on a cross to atone for sin. And God has chosen a particular number of sinners, and has chosen them from the foundation of the world, to personally love them, and to apply the blood of Jesus to atone for their sin, so they are freed from the eternal torment they justly deserve. And you can know if you are one of those whom God chose to love, despite your sins, because He will regenerate you, and give you a new heart to love God, and will give you faith to believe in Him. And so if you trust in Him to atone for your sins, you can know that He has saved you."
Good post that will fall on "deaf ears."

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Amen!

Why is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ though?

Are you saying that when you Witness to the Lost, you include the Tasting of Death for everyone, as an item that must be believed for the Gospel to work?

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Cherry picking is a no-no. Why not keep on going through that chapter and not just lift that verse from the context?

For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings. For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying, “I WILL PROCLAIM YOUR NAME TO MY BRETHREN, IN THE MIDST OF THE CONGREGATION I WILL SING YOUR PRAISE.” And again, “I WILL PUT MY TRUST IN HIM.” And again, “BEHOLD, I AND THE CHILDREN WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN ME.”[Hebrews 2:10-13]

Those following four vss explain who the "every man" is.

Cherry picking is a no-no. Why not keep on going through that chapter and not just lift that verse from the context?

For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings. For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying, “I WILL PROCLAIM YOUR NAME TO MY BRETHREN, IN THE MIDST OF THE CONGREGATION I WILL SING YOUR PRAISE.” And again, “I WILL PUT MY TRUST IN HIM.” And again, “BEHOLD, I AND THE CHILDREN WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN ME.”[Hebrews 2:10-13]

Those following four vss explain who the "every man" is.
You are conflating 'Jesus tasting death for every man' and 'Jesus saving those who believe' as if they are both the same event.

I believe the Gospel declares who Jesus is and what He accomplished. His person and work. His work was on behalf of His sheep. Therefore to say that the efficacy of the atonement is not essential to the Gospel, is in error.

#5 Should read "He will save His people from their sin."

#6 conditions salvation on the sinner, rather than Christ.

But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5 ESV

I do not believe Arminians are Christians.

That’s a Hyper Calvinist’s approach Brother. Plus, how can you tell who the elect are?
I didn't mean I only share the gospel with the elect. I don't know who they are.

What I meant to say(and maybe it wasn't clear) is that when I share the Gospel, I share that Christ died for a particular people.

Back