How does a desire enter your mind?

Simpletruther

It arises deterministicly through the interaction of your nature, and your circumstances.

It arises spontaneously and randomly from these.

It's arises by a combination of deterministic and random, science would call this "probabilisticly".

Whatever a free will is, it would have fall under one of these three. There is no other coherent view.

Or in other words, the very notion of somehow creatures being free over our desires, presupposes a motive upon which to freely choose which desire to go with.
Which obviously begs the question and leads to incoherence.

Last edited:
It arises deterministicly through the interaction of your nature, and your circumstances.

It's arises by a combination of these, science would call this "probabilisticly".

Whatever a free will is, it would have fall under one of these three. There is no other coherent view.
Also the very notion of somehow creatures being free over our desires, presupposes a motive upon which to freely choose which desire to go with.

It's arises by a combination of deterministic and random, science would call this "probabilisticly".

Or in other words, the very notion of somehow creatures being free over our desires, presupposes a motive upon which to freely choose which desire to go with.
The world, the flesh, the devil if evil

James 1:13–14 (KJV 1900)
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Can you connect the logical dots here that address my OP in a more direct way?

Lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, pride of life causes desire; the question is do we submit ourselves to those desires or submit ourselves to God's law.
Your comment presupposes a preexisting desire to submit one way or the other (to God or evil desires)

Which obviously just kicks the can down the road and doesn't answer.

This preexisting desire, how does it arise?

1 John 2:16 (KJV 1900)
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

In other words God did not do it

Not sure what you mean, does not the preexisting desire arise from the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life; unless you meant desire begins to exist at some point.
Ok. You seem to propose we choose between evil desires and God desires.

Ok, why do we choose one over the other? Is it not because of a desire to choose one desire over the other?

So where did that desire come from?

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

In other words God did not do it
Yes correct, God does not commit those sins, the world does.

Have I claimed differently?

Ok. You seem to propose we choose between evil desires and God desires.

Ok, why do we choose one over the other? Is it not because of a desire to choose one desire over the other?

So where did that desire come from?
I think at this point, you should provide scripture which states why we choose one desire over another; then we can focus on the scripture.

Scripture says we are carried away by our own lusts . God is not responsible for those or tempting us to sin .
and the pride of life, the lust of the flesh and the eyes are not from God but the world

Back