How important is the Name of your Church

The Prophet

LDS often claim that Christ's church will have His name in the name of the church. Then they explain that the official name of the LDS Church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But, the LDS Church has had at least five different names (D.H.C., Vol. III, p. 24). On April 6, 1830, it was originally called the "Church of Christ" (see D. & C. 20:1, D. & C., copyright page, or 1833 Book of Commandments). On May 3, 1834, the name was changed to the "Church of Latter Day Saints" (D.H.C., Vol. II, p. 63). Still later, on April 26, 1838, it was changed to the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" as it is known today (D. & C. 115:3-4). If the church name is an earmark of being the true church, then the LDS Church could not have been true between 1834 and 1838, since neither Jesus nor Christ were in the official name of the LDS Church then!

Nowhere in the New Testament does either Christ or His disciples give an "official name" to the church. "The disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Acts 11:26). Note that it says that they were first called Christians about 34 A.D., not in 73 B.C. as Alma 46:15 says in the B. of M. But in Acts 24:5, they are called "Nazarenes." In Rom. 16:16, they are called "the church of Christ." In I Cor. 1:2, they are identified as "the Church of God." In Heb. 12:23, their name is "the church of the Firstborn." But, the New Testament church was never called "The Church of Jesus Christ!" Thus, the name by which the disciples were known was relatively unimportant, but the gospel they preached was very important (Gal. 1:8-9). That is what ought to be important to true believers in Christ today!

dberrie2020

How important is the Name of your Church

That probably depends on who one listens to:

Acts 4:10-12----King James Version
10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Could you tell us what the name of your church is?

The church I attend is--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

I can testify to this--churches named after an ordinary man don't fit the bill.

The Prophet

That probably depends on who one listens to:

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Could you tell us what the name of your church is?

The Name of Jesus is most important and no where does it teach the name is by the power of the priesthood

Theo1689

This is one of the lamest arguments I've ever heard.

Ever since I was four, I knew that the "Baptist" church and the "Anglican" church and the "Methodist" church and the "Presbyterian" church were "Christian" (ie. Jesus Christ) churches. If a four-year-old can understand that, why can't adult Mormons understand that?

And just because you put the NAME "Jesus Christ" on your church, doesn't make it Christ's church.
You can put a label of "Lambourghini" on a Nissan, but it doesn't make it a Lambo.

dberrie2020

And just because you put the NAME "Jesus Christ" on your church, doesn't make it Christ's church.
I agree. I believe the telling evidence is when the church doesn't name their church after Jesus Christ--they, for sure--aren't His church.

What's the name of the church you attend?

The name of the church I attend is--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Theo1689

I agree. I believe the telling evidence is when the church doesn't name their church after Jesus Christ--they, for sure--aren't His church.

You must think your Jesus is pretty stupid.
Jesus knows where His church is.
And it's not the LDS church.

Nothing about "name on a CHURCH".
You are not saved by "church membership".

Why is that any of your business?
I belong to a Christian church.
And that's all you need to know.

The name of the church I attend is--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

And it's a phoney church.
Anyone who is saved in the LDS church is going to be saved DESPITE Mormonism, not because of it.

Bonnie

This is one of the lamest arguments I've ever heard. T

Ever since I was four, I knew that the "Baptist" church and the "Anglican" church and the "Methodist" church and the "Presbyterian" church were "Christian" (ie. Jesus Christ) churches. If a four-year-old can understand that, why can't adult Mormons understand that?

You can put a label of "Lambourghini" on a Nissan, but it doesn't make it a Lambo.
Look at Christian Science.... it is neither Christian nor scientific.

Just putting the name of "Jesus" or the title "Christ" or "Christian" in a church's name doesn't automatically mean it is truly Christian. Or teaches the true Gospel message of the true Jesus Christ of the Bible. It is what a church believes, teaches, and confesses that makes it truly Christian.

When my husband and I lived in St. Louis, we once got a brochure in the mail that invited us to attend a "Christian Church of Theosophy" or something very similar. Well, Theosophy is NOT Christian in the least. We also got another brochure in the mail from a church that called itself "Christian" but its main principle was that everything that happens is due purely to luck. It even took some Bible verses and substituted "luck/lucky" for the correct word--such as when blind Bartimaeus called out to Jesus to have mercy on him, and Jesus told him to come to Him. Instead of having his friends tell him "Be of good cheer! He is calling for you!" , the brochure instead had "This is your lucky day! He is calling for you!" It had other examples, but that is the only one I remember, as it has been 20 years or so since I saw the brochure. And yet, this "church" claimed the title of Christian.

Authentic Nouveau

Revelation lists 7

• Ephesus. ...
  • Smyrna - Izmir. ...
  • Pergamon. ...
  • Thyateira - Akhisar. ...
  • Sardis - Sart. ...
  • Philadelphia - Alaşehir. ...
  • Laodicea - Denizli.
None are Mormon.
None heard about the angel Phony Moroni

dberrie2020

Revelation lists 7

• Ephesus. ...
  • Smyrna - Izmir. ...
  • Pergamon. ...
  • Thyateira - Akhisar. ...
  • Sardis - Sart. ...
  • Philadelphia - Alaşehir. ...
  • Laodicea - Denizli.
That only identifies their location--they were all the Church of Jesus Christ--just in different locations.

dberrie2020

You must think your Jesus is pretty stupid.
Jesus knows where His church is.

His church will be named after Him--regardless of where it is:

Nothing about "name on a CHURCH".
You are not saved by "church membership".
Those which are saved will belong to His church:

Hebrews 12:22-24---King James Version
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

The "church of the firstborn"--is the Church of Jesus Christ?

dberrie2020

Look at Christian Science.... it is neither Christian nor scientific.

Just putting the name of "Jesus" or the title "Christ" or "Christian" in a church's name doesn't automatically mean it is truly Christian.
I believe we have already agreed on that.

It's when a church doesn't bear the name of Jesus Christ which questions whether it's His church.

Especially those churches which are named after an ordinary man. Can you think of any examples of that?

Bonnie

I believe we have already agreed on that.

It's when a church doesn't bear the name of Jesus Christ which questions whether it's His church.

Especially those churches which are named after an ordinary man. Can you think of any examples of that?
Can you think of a church that has "Jesus Christ" in its name, but in reality, believes in a false Christ--the brother of Satan--preaches a false gospel, that is NO gospel at all, as Paul wrote, and is led by false prophets and false apostles?

12 But what I am doing I will also continue to do, so that I may eliminate the opportunity from those who want an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the matter about which they are boasting. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.

Such men spread lies--who is the father of lies, dberrie?

dberrie2020

Can you think of a church that has "Jesus Christ" in its name, but in reality, believes in a false Christ--
The scriptures testify there is only one name under heaven whereby man can be saved--and His church is called by that name:

That point seems to rub some the wrong way--especially those whose church is named after an ordinary man.

Bonnie--the church I attend is named--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Could you tell us what name is on the front sign identifying your church?

Bonnie

The scriptures testify there is only one name under heaven whereby man can be saved--and His church is called by that name:

That point seems to rub some the wrong way--especially those whose church is named after an ordinary man.

Bonnie--the church I attend is named--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Could you tell us what name is on the front sign identifying your church?
Is having the name of Jesus or Christ or Christian in a church body's name a GUARUNTEE that it is truly Christian and teaches the TRUE Gospel of the TRUE Jesus Christ of the Bible?

Are we saved by BELIEVING in the Name of of the true Jesus Christ, or by BELONGING to a church body that has His name in it? Which are we saved by?

Is a church that teaches contrary to what the Bible clearly teaches, and in fact, teaches blasphemy, a church that belongs to Jesus Christ--even if it has His name in it? Yes or no?

dberrie2020

Is having the name of Jesus or Christ or Christian in a church body's name a GUARUNTEE that it is truly Christian and teaches the TRUE Gospel of the TRUE Jesus Christ of the Bible?
I believe the "guarantee" happens when a church does not bear the name of Jesus Christ.

Especially if the church is named after an ordinary man.

So--what name does the sign out front of the church you attend bear?

The one I attend is--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Bonnie

I believe the "guarantee" happens when a church does not bear the name of Jesus Christ.

Especially if the church is named after an ordinary man.

So--what name does the sign out front of the church you attend bear?

The one I attend is--"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".
Why did you ignore what I wrote? Are we saved in the Name of Jesus Christ or in the name of a church that has his name in it? Which is it, dberrie? Does having the name of Jesus Christ in a church's name GUARANTEE that it is a true Christian church? OR is it what a church actually believes, teaches, and confesses that makes it truly Christian?

But there is a church that has "Jesus Christ" in it, but it does NOT mean the true Jesus Christ of the Bible, but the devil's brother--actual brother--can such a church truly belong to Christ Jesus? OR is it more like this:

Matthew 7:21-23​

King James Version​

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

A church that teaches a Jesus Christ that is Satan's actual brother in the supposed pre-mortal existence "works iniquity"--doesn't it? A church whose founder prophesied FALSELY in God's name was a "worker of iniquity"--wasn't he? A lying false prophet who married many other women, including young, teen-aged girls and even other men's wives, who was a hypocrite that preached the WoW while hypocritically not following it himself, and who has led millions of people away from the true Gospel of the true Jesus Christ of the Bible to spiritual darkness worked iniquity--didn't he?

Such a church demonstrates what Paul said "Let God be true and every man a liar"--doesn't it? Because such a church is built on lies and who is the father of lies, dberrie?

Last edited:

dberrie2020

Why did you ignore what I wrote? Are we saved in the Name of Jesus Christ or in the name of a church that has his name in it?
Both were involved in the salvation process in the Biblical NT.

Does having the name of Jesus Christ in a church's name GUARANTEE that it is a true Christian church?
As I stated--the guarantee is when a church doesn't bear His name, the name of Jesus Christ.

Especially when the church is named after an ordinary man. One rest assured that isn't Christ's church:

OR is it what a church actually believes, teaches, and confesses that makes it truly Christian?
Nothing is Christian--unless it bears the name of Jesus Christ.

dberrie2020

Matthew 7:21-23---King James Version​

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
That only connects one's actions, and His name--with His Kingdom.

How do you claim to fit that into your theology?

A church that teaches a Jesus Christ that is Satan's actual brother in the supposed pre-mortal existence "works iniquity"--doesn't it? A church whose founder prophesied FALSELY in God's name was a "worker of iniquity"--wasn't he? A lying false prophet who married many other women, including young, teen-aged girls and even other men's wives, who was a hypocrite that preached the WoW while hypocritically not following it himself, and who has led millions of people away from the true Gospel of the true Jesus Christ of the Bible to spiritual darkness worked iniquity--didn't he?Such a church demonstrates what Paul said "Let God be true and every man a liar"--doesn't it? Because such a church is build on lies and who is the father of lies, dberrie?

I have one even better than that--and that is churches which teach there are no acts of obedience to Jesus Christ which are required for eternal life to occur. That can be proven false by just a casual reading of the Biblical NT--it's not just an opinion.