How is God's faithfulness taught to young believers?

bigthinker

How is wisdom of God's faithfulness, reliability, trustworthiness etc imparted to children or young believers?
What methods do Christian teachers employ, what are the methods?

Whateverman

I shouldn't speak for Christians, because I was never one, and neither were my parents, or the people who taught me about my religion.

However, I'll say that it was just as vague as it is for adults. Trust God, because He knows what's best (without me having any more than vague ideas as to what "best" consisted of). Love Him because He loves me (even though, again, there was no understanding of what that love actually entailed).

I was never taught of God's faithfulness, other than as a vague reassurance that he trusted me to make the right choices, and fix my mistakes when I made them. I also was NEVER taught about God's reliability - and even as a kid I would have laughed at the idea. My favorite stuffed animal was a more reliable friend than God, though "Snake" certainly was never gonna be able to get me that bike I wanted, like God could (if He wanted to).

---

In general, vague emotion. That's how God's traits are taught to kids.

docphin5

How is wisdom of God's faithfulness, reliability, trustworthiness etc imparted to children or young believers?
By example.
Neither of my parents were very religious, but my mother was the most selfless, cheerful, kind, person on the planet. I think I learned of Faithfulness, reliability, trustworthiness, etc. from her. She didn’t verbally teach it, instead she lived it. Somehow that translated into my relationship with God. If I did not have a good parent to demonstrate what God is like then I am not sure I would be who I am today.

bigthinker

I shouldn't speak for Christians, because I was never one, and neither were my parents, or the people who taught me about my religion.

However, I'll say that it was just as vague as it is for adults. Trust God, because He knows what's best (without me having any more than vague ideas as to what "best" consisted of). Love Him because He loves me (even though, again, there was no understanding of what that love actually entailed).

I was never taught of God's faithfulness, other than as a vague reassurance that he trusted me to make the right choices, and fix my mistakes when I made them. I also was NEVER taught about God's reliability - and even as a kid I would have laughed at the idea. My favorite stuffed animal was a more reliable friend than God, though "Snake" certainly was never gonna be able to get me that bike I wanted, like God could (if He wanted to).

---

In general, vague emotion. That's how God's traits are taught to kids.
In terms of understanding and knowledge, believer knowledge is very shallow. As evidenced here on CARM, believers have extremely little to say about God's traits. We observe the defensiveness and predictable tendency to obfuscate, dodge, shift focus, etc.
One's knowledge of a subject can be assessed by the number and quality of distinctions they are able to make.

The movie The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is a good example, there is a weird loyalty to Aslan that doesn't seem to be based on anything, he's just considered to be "good". Of course the story is a kind of metaphor of Christianity, in more ways than Lewis intended, I suppose.

bigthinker

By example.
Neither of my parents were very religious, but my mother was the most selfless, cheerful, kind, person on the planet. I think I learned of Faithfulness, reliability, trustworthiness, etc. from her. She didn’t verbally teach it, instead she lived it. Somehow that translated into my relationship with God.
Explain how your mother's traits translated into your relationship with God -what does that even mean?
If I did not have a good parent to demonstrate what God is like then I am not sure I would be who I am today.
That's a nice sentiment but pretty meaningless. Yeah, if you have a crappy parent you'd probably be different than you are now.

You are aware that your post doesn't at all explain how your mother taught you about God's reliability?
It doesn't describe the pedagogy. It appears that you kinda just got a sense of it thanks to your mom's trustworthiness -is that an accurate interpretation?

What direct experiences with God have you had that established God's reliability and trustworthiness for you?

Dizerner

The Christian faith teaches that God's demonstration of faithfulness is primarily the intangible affirmation of both his existence and forgiveness offered through a process of substitutionary atonement through experiential spiritual communication.

Those who teach a prosperity or so-called "health and wealth" Gospel, or who propagate ideas that God is to be used to get what you want, like new bikes, as someone posted here, do not accurately reflect the message Christ brought to the earth.

bigthinker

Thanks for responding.
The Christian faith teaches that God's demonstration of faithfulness is primarily the intangible affirmation of both his existence and forgiveness offered through a process of substitutionary atonement through experiential spiritual communication.
intangible affirmation seems correct. Not necessarily any actual affirmation, just the belief of affirmation.
My question -what I ask in the OP is about how it is taught. How is knowledge of something like intangible affirmation taught, how is the knowledge passed from one individual to another? Or is it?
As to the what, how is an individual taught to recognize something as nebulous and ambiguous as intangible affirmation?
Those who teach a prosperity or so-called "health and wealth" Gospel, or who propagate ideas that God is to be used to get what you want, like new bikes, as someone posted here, do not accurately reflect the message Christ brought to the earth.
Well, to be fair, the "message Christ brought to earth" is open to interpretation; what is considered "accurate" is based on the believer's own biases. There is no tangible authority on matters of biblical interpretation.

docphin5

Explain how your mother's traits translated into your relationship with God -what does that even mean?
Basically the virtues demonstrated by my parent were something I wanted for myself. I learned later that those virtues are the substance of God’s world-ordering power, aka, “heavenly Logos”, “right reason”, “Yeshua”, “spirit of God”, etc. IOW, God brings order and harmony to the cosmic substance/nature when the virtues rule over it.

We see it in our individual lives and we are able to see it on a cosmic scale as well. Speaking practically, there are three layers of existence: material, intelligible, and vices/virtues (bad/good). In the first group are rocks, inaminate objects. In the second animals. In the third, humans, some choosing vices and some choosing virtues. The ideal, divine life would be pious humans living a virtuous life, the pinnacle of human evolution, —each step greater than the last.
That's a nice sentiment but pretty meaningless. Yeah, if you have a crappy parent you'd probably be different than you are now.

You are aware that your post doesn't at all explain how your mother taught you about God's reliability?
It helped me recognize that the ideal life is a virtuous one. By becoming what God is (“God is good”, right?) then God grows in me. The more he grows in me the closer we become until we reach a junction between being human and being divine, —theoretically, that is. From my experience and from the writings this has been the experience of others throughout the ages. At the least, it is the ideal state of existence, the target we should aim for.
It doesn't describe the pedagogy. It appears that you kinda just got a sense of it thanks to your mom's trustworthiness -is that an accurate interpretation?

What direct experiences with God have you had that established God's reliability and trustworthiness for you?
I have had direct experience with God too, but that wasn’t what the OP asked.

Last edited:

bigthinker

Basically the virtues demonstrated by my parent were something I wanted for myself. I learned later that those virtues are the substance of God’s world-ordering power, aka, “heavenly Logos”, “right reason”, “Yeshua”, “spirit of God”, etc. IOW, God brings order and harmony to the cosmic substance/nature when the virtues rule over it.
This isn't about virtues, the question is: how is God's faithfulness taught?
We see it in our individual lives and we are able to see it on a cosmic scale as well. Speaking practically, there are three layers of existence: material, intelligible, and vices/virtues (bad/good). In the first group are rocks, inaminate objects. In the second animals. In the third, humans, some choosing vices and some choosing virtues. The ideal, divine life would be pious humans living a virtuous life, the pinnacle of human evolution, —each step greater than the last.
I observe two layers of existence; physical and conceptual.
It helped me recognize that the ideal life is a virtuous one. By becoming what God is (“God is good”, right?) then God grows in me. The more he grows in me the closer we become until we reach a junction between being human and being divine, —theoretically, that is. From my experience and from the writings this has been the experience of others throughout the ages. At the least, it is the ideal state of existence, the target we should aim for.

I have had direct experience with God too, but that wasn’t what the OP asked.
To be precise, you didn't respond to what the OP asked:

You described what you picked up but did not bother to mention how your conclusions/assessment came to be, how the concepts were taught.

docphin5

This isn't about virtues, the question is: how is God's faithfulness taught?
Faithfulness is a virtue along with continence, long-suffering, freedom-from-malice, joyfulness, truth, concord, love, chastity, and understanding. There are permutations of these, as well.

It is taught by those who live virtuous lives, in my case, the example first set by my mother. As I matured to an adult I perceive the same virtues operating at a cosmic level, for example, Good produced when life began on our planet a billion years ago., to wit, the world-ordering power harmonizing lifeless nature to produce biological life, the first step in human evolution. it was neither a spontaneous nor a random event but caused for a reason, —a good reason (Greek: Logos).

The cosmos is like a machine that is producing what it always had as potential within itself from the beginning. Something has caused life to exist on our planet and something orders and harmonizes life for Good. It is to that Good Cause that I give thanks not only for the life I live but for the examples he placed in my early development so that I may come to know him.

I observe two layers of existence; physical and conceptual.

To be precise, you didn't respond to what the OP asked:

You described what you picked up but did not bother to mention how your conclusions/assessment came to be, how the concepts were taught.
I think I did.

Last edited:

bigthinker

Faithfulness is a virtue along with continence, long-suffering, freedom-from-malice, joyfulness, truth, concord, love, chastity, and understanding. There are permutations of these, as well.
As I said, this is not about virtue, it is how God's reliability, trustworthiness, how his particular response to a prayer or situation can be counted on is taught to young believers.
It is taught by those who live virtuous lives, in my case, the example first set by my mother.
The question is not WHO teaches.... The question is: HOW is it taught?
As I matured to an adult I perceive the same virtues operating at a cosmic level, for example, Good produced when life began on our planet a billion years ago., to wit, the world-ordering power harmonizing lifeless nature to produce biological life, the first step in human evolution. it was neither a spontaneous nor a random event but caused for a reason, —a good reason.
Understood, you picked it up on your own.
I appreciate your response but you are not addressing the actual question.

docphin5

As I said, this is not about virtue, it is how God's reliability, trustworthiness,
As I pointed out, faithfulness is a virtue. Just because you want to ignore it doesn’t exclude it as a rational answer to your question.
how his particular response to a prayer or situation can be counted on is taught to young believers.
As I stated multiple times already, in my case, BY EXAMPLE in others.
The question is not WHO teaches.... The question is: HOW is it taught?
BY EXAMPLE…. Not all learning is didactic. There is a method of learning which includes: see it done, do it yourself, teach it to others, —that is one way we can learn for ourselves.
Understood, you picked it up on your own.
I appreciate your response but you are not addressing the actual question.

bigthinker

As I pointed out, faithfulness is a virtue. Just because you want to ignore it doesn’t exclude it as a rational answer to your question.
And apples are fruit. Are you seriously not understanding the question?
As I stated multiple times already, in my case, BY EXAMPLE in others.
Right, you picked it up. You observed it in others. The same way you learn about Person A's reliability but observing Person B.
You've made yourself clear.
However, you haven't answered the question.
BY EXAMPLE…. Not all learning is didactic. There is a method of learning which includes: see it done, do it yourself, teach it to others, —that is one way we can learn for ourselves.
Right, it wasn't taught to you as such; you picked up on it.
So you don't have an answer. That's fine, I'm just not sure why you would respond in such a non sequitur way.

docphin5

And apples are fruit. Are you seriously not understanding the question?

Right, you picked it up. You observed it in others. The same way you learn about Person A's reliability but observing Person B.
You've made yourself clear.
However, you haven't answered the question.

Right, it wasn't taught to you as such; you picked up on it.
So you don't have an answer. That's fine, I'm just not sure why you would respond in such a non sequitur way.
You are just being dense now.

How can you say my mother did not teach me about faithfulness, but then claim I “picked it up”, as if there is a difference between being “taught” faithfulness by example versus “picking up” faithfulness because it was deemed valuable.

Maybe somebody else can explain to you the different modes of ”teaching”, to include, serving as an example of what to do.

bigthinker

How can you say my mother did not teach me about faithfulness,
Well, from your words, you learned about your mother's faithfulness by observing her.
Besides, this is about God's faithfulness. Otherwise I would have asked:
How is Docphin5's mother's faithfulness taught to young believers?
but then claim I “picked it up”, as if there is a difference between being “taught” faithfulness by example versus “picking up” faithfulness because it was deemed valuable.
Certainly. One can "pick up" the game of baseball by observation without being taught. For the sake of this thread, I'm interested in how God's faithfulness is taught, not what you learned by observing or who you learned it from.
Maybe somebody else can explain to you the different modes of ”teaching”, to include, serving as an example of what to do.
So God's faithfulness and reliability was learned by you through observation of other human beings.

Howie

How is Critical Race Theory going to be taught to children?