How many Mormons on here agree with what this lady wrote

Bonnie

...near the bottom of this post? It is from a blog, so I cannot link to it, but apparently it is about a lady named "Jennifer" who had been wronged by a bishop in her ward, perhaps giving out personal information, that should have remained confidential. That is what I interpolate by reading between the lines, though I may be wrong. However, I am more interested in a comment the lady addressing Jennifer made:

Dear Jennifer, I am so so sorry for the treatment you received at the hands of these STUPID uncaring, unthinking, uninspired men who call themselves leaders, the Lord is not that way at all. The Church is true despite the ignorance of the brotherhood of men who aspire to mans teachings not Gods. As in all cultures, nations, and religions there are those who do the right thing and those who don't. I don't think you are wrong to remove yourself from the Church because of these men, I think you should go back and teach them a lesson, or take the Church to court, as this ensures the right people sit up and take notice and then do something about it, i know this works as I have done so myself when the Bishop divulged confidential information to his cronies. I hope this is of some comfort, I have not left the Church, as I view the Church and my Savior as one and the same and I will not leave because of one man and two. Thank you and God bless you in all you do.

(clindquist-rudeawakening blogsight)

Do note the bolded part...I wonder how many Mormons, especially TBMs, think this way--that their Savior and church are one and the same? But how can that be--since Jesus is the Savior, and not any church body?

Comments?

Last edited:

Bonnie

Good for you guys, that you don't agree with her. That is why I started this thread--to see what other Mormons think about this. But this blog does exist and this was on it.

Aaron32

...near the bottom of this post? It is from a blog, so I cannot link to it, but apparently it is about a lady named "Jennifer" who had been wronged by a bishop in her ward, perhaps giving out personal information, that should have remained confidential. That is what I interpolate by reading between the lines, though I may be wrong. However, I am more interested in a comment the lady addressing Jennifer made:

(clindquist-rudeawakening blogsight)

Do note the bolded part...I wonder how many Mormons, especially TBMs, think this way--that their Savior and church are one and the same? But how can that be--since Jesus is the Savior, and not any church body?

Comments?
The Church is the body of those that believe in Christ. Christ is the object of our worship, not the Church itself.

Church leaders are to govern affairs of the Church, not our personal lives. Each member is given the gift of the Holy Ghost to govern affairs in their personal lives.

Bishops are judges in Israel, and still fallen and imperfect. They are held accountable to God according to the Oath and Covenant of the priesthood. If they act contrary to their role, they will face consequences.

The covenants we make to God are personal, yet bound by priesthood authority. I would never break my covenants, just because a man as a church leader offended me.

So, no. The Church and Jesus Christ are NOT one in the same.

Magdalena

The Church is the body of those that believe in Christ. Christ is the object of our worship, not the Church itself.

Church leaders are to govern affairs of the Church, not our personal lives. Each member is given the gift of the Holy Ghost to govern affairs in their personal lives.

Bishops are judges in Israel, and still fallen and imperfect. They are held accountable to God according to the Oath and Covenant of the priesthood. If they act contrary to their role, they will face consequences.

The covenants we make to God are personal, yet bound by priesthood authority. I would never break my covenants, just because a man as a church leader offended me.

So, no. The Church and Jesus Christ are NOT one in the same.
But you’re supposed to obey the mormon prophets, even if they’re wrong. That is what the mormon church counsels people to do.

Aaron32

But you’re supposed to obey the mormon prophets, even if they’re wrong. That is what the mormon church counsels people to do.
That’s a bit of a red herring. There’s a lot of extreme hypotheticals people could draw from that. Can you give a practical example of a prophet giving a commandment to obey that is wrong?

For example, I believe the way the Church was practicing polygamy was wrong. Read Official Declaration 1. If they continued, they would have been compelled to stop anyway. Either God would removes the prophet or He the Church altogether.

If the prophet gives bad counsel, then the church loses ground in its work, and the prophet will pay for it.

The church made a bad call regarding membership of children of gay parents after gay marriage was legalized. I think the church was trying to sidestep potential lawsuits at the expense of some. I can understand both sides of the dilemma. But ultimately, the church saw the effect and redacted their policy. Those who remained faithful ultimately had their testimonies refined and strengthened, those who were looking for a reason to leave found it and left.

It’s through these lessons of Church History that we gain a greater understanding of what’s true and why it is true, and what cultural rubbish to be left on the wayside.Thats what it means to “seek learning even by study and also by faith” (D&C 109:7). Learning by experience is very important. If we hold on to our precepts, and never act, then we’ll never understand, and God permits our agency where we make mistakes, but if we remain faithful, we’re better off. The Bible is full of those examples.

D&C 121:
41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

Bonnie

That’s a bit of a red herring. There’s a lot of extreme hypotheticals people could draw from that. Can you give a practical example of a prophet giving a commandment to obey that is wrong?

For example, I believe the way the Church was practicing polygamy was wrong. Read Official Declaration 1. If they continued, they would have been compelled to stop anyway. Either God would removes the prophet or He the Church altogether.

If the prophet gives bad counsel, then the church loses ground in its work, and the prophet will pay for it.

The church made a bad call regarding membership of children of gay parents after gay marriage was legalized. I think the church was trying to sidestep potential lawsuits at the expense of some. I can understand both sides of the dilemma. But ultimately, the church saw the effect and redacted their policy. Those who remained faithful ultimately had their testimonies refined and strengthened, those who were looking for a reason to leave found it and left.

It’s through these lessons of Church History that we gain a greater understanding of what’s true and why it is true, and what cultural rubbish to be left on the wayside.Thats what it means to “seek learning even by study and also by faith” (D&C 109:7). Learning by experience is very important. If we hold on to our precepts, and never act, then we’ll never understand, and God permits our agency where we make mistakes, but if we remain faithful, we’re better off. The Bible is full of those examples.

D&C 121:
41 No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—
43 Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.
How about this?

As we sustain the prophet and apostles, we gain a testimony of them as servants of God. Even though they are not perfect, Heavenly Father will not allow them to lead us astray.

And yet they have--haven't they?

Aaron32

Magdalena

D&C 121:
Brigham Young carried on polygamy under what he said was a commandment from God. It wasnt officially ended until well into the 1900’s. But it was still practiced by church leaders. And even now, because of personal experience, I know for sure that it was never really ended. It just went underground. Even among people who work in the church offices.

You cannot pick and choose what you want to believe in a religion that was founded and continued by false prophets, false doctrine, false practices. It’s poison. It didn’t come from Christ, and that only leaves one other possible source.

Get out of it while you still can, and follow Christ. He’s the only way.

Magdalena

The council is to pray and gain a testimony of all things revealed--including the reality of living prophets.
No, they say to pray UNTIL you get a testimony of it.
But who are you praying to? Who would give you a testimony to follow something that was wrong?

Bonnie

Yep. Seems pretty common sense to me. Is there anything on that link you have a problem with?

Yes...but...did you read my post? Mistakes corrected over time actually leave us in a better state than not ever having made the mistake to begin with.
So, following a prophet who teaches contrary to what the Bible says is a GOOD thing? As your church did for about 25 years with the Adam as God doctrine...and yes I read what you wrote. Snd it just sounded like spin doctoring to justify supporting false prophets and th
No, they say to pray UNTIL you get a testimony of it.
But who are you praying to? Who would give you a testimony to follow something that was wrong?
Who indeed would want us to follow false prophets that lead us away from the true Jesus Christ of the Bible....?

Aaron32

Brigham Young carried on polygamy under what he said was a commandment from God. It wasnt officially ended until well into the 1900’s. But it was still practiced by church leaders. And even now, because of personal experience, I know for sure that it was never really ended. It just went underground. Even among people who work in the church offices.
That would be an amazing find. You should totally publish your evidence.

You cannot pick and choose what you want to believe in a religion that was founded and continued by false prophets, false doctrine, false practices. It’s poison. It didn’t come from Christ, and that only leaves one other possible source.

Get out of it while you still can, and follow Christ. He’s the only way.
Well, here's the thing. I felt the Holy Ghost that the BoM was true. JS translated the BoM, who started the Church. The Church fulfilled BoM and Bible prophecy. If the Church went astray because Wilford Woodruff ended the practice, then the sins of omission would be upon him not me. He's the one that chose to abandon polygamy not me. It was his commission and call to make not mine. Yet, I can't expect someone who doesn't believe in priesthood to understand it, so....whatever.

Aaron32

So, following a prophet who teaches contrary to what the Bible says is a GOOD thing? As your church did for about 25 years with the Adam as God doctrine...and yes I read what you wrote. Snd it just sounded like spin doctoring to justify supporting false prophets and th

Who indeed would want us to follow false prophets that lead us away from the true Jesus Christ of the Bible....?
So, you read the first half, but not the second half?
Do you believe David commited adultery and murder, and stop reading, and now consider David a fallen King and declaring prophecy regarding David false prophesy? Would the bible be better off without Psalms? I mean, this is the reasoning you're giving me here.
No, sin isn't good. Neither is a bunch of stuff in life we may need to go through. But it's all to accomplish God's purposes in the end.

Magdalena

Well, here's the thing. I felt the Holy Ghost that the BoM was true. JS translated the BoM, who started the Church. The Church fulfilled BoM and Bible prophecy. If the Church went astray because Wilford Woodruff ended the practice, then the sins of omission would be upon him not me. He's the one that chose to abandon polygamy not me. It was his commission and call to make not mine. Yet, I can't expect someone who doesn't believe in priesthood to understand it, so....whatever.
You've admitted they were false prophets. What they wrote and what they taught didn’t come from Christ. He doesn’t work thru false prophets. He warned us about them. Wolves in sheep’s clothing, who might deceive even the very elect.

Who said I don’t believe in priesthood? I do. Just not false priesthood from false prophets.

Bonnie

Feelings are not a reliable source of truth. God's holy word, the bible, IS. For it warns us that "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" (Jer. 17:9)

And remember what Proverbs says? "There is a way that seems right to a man, but it leads to death."

That wasn't the HS, Aaron. This may make you angry, and I apologize if it does, but truth doesn't come from a feeling, but from comparing what is taught with the actual word of God, the bible. The spirit you think affirmed the BoM was the spirit of error. That is why Paul tells us to "test the spirits" because not all are from God. And we test them by comparing them to what the Bible actually teaches us--as the Bereans did. And were called "noble" for doing so.

So much of what Smith taught was blatantly unbiblical, that we MUST conclude that God did not send him and he is a totally false prophet. God doesn't send false prophets who preach contrary to His word. And where did God EVER Say that plural wifery is part of the "new and everlasting covenant" and that one who do NOT practice it would be damned, as BYoung once wrote? Where is having more than one wife EVER part of the actual true Gospel message in the NT? Didn't Paul say that Bishops and elders should be the husbands of just ONE WIFE? Something your church disobeyed until the 20th century--didn't it?

The BoM fulfilled nothing, least of all Biblical "prophesy." The American Indians are supposed to be descended mostly from Semites from the Middle East, but they are Caucasians. American Indians are of the Mongoloid race and come mostly from eastern Siberia. So, the entire premise of the BoM is false from its very first pages.

I hope someday you will cease striving against the TRUE Jesus Christ of the Bible and turn to HIM to receive salvation, great and free.

Aaron32

You've admitted they were false prophets. What they wrote and what they taught didn’t come from Christ. He doesn’t work thru false prophets. He warned us about them. Wolves in sheep’s clothing, who might deceive even the very elect.

Who said I don’t believe in priesthood? I do. Just not false priesthood from false prophets.
Just because a prophet makes a mistake doesn’t mean the priesthood keys are taken away :
D&C 121:
“37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.”
A prophet may be removed from his place, but that doesn’t mean the church ends.

How do you believe in priesthood? Christians believe Jesus is our high priest and all Christians are a royal priesthood. That like saying because everyone is special no one is. Priesthood is essentially nullified.

Aaron32

Feelings are not a reliable source of truth.
God's holy word, the bible, IS. For it warns us that "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" (Jer. 17:9)

And remember what Proverbs says? "There is a way that seems right to a man, but it leads to death."
And yet, it’s by feelings the fruit of the Spirit is recognized. (Gal. 5:22)

I agree that it’s not reliable, which is why it must align with scripture.

It think the principle to be understood in your reference is Jer. 17:5 “5 Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord”

And that we should “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.“ (Proverbs 3:5)

In its our heart when Christ dwells:
“17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.” - Eph 3:17-19

And the Holy Ghost that protects our hearts:
Phillipians 4:7 - And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

You asked me a few days ago - why we need the Book of Mormon. I found the answer:
1 Ne 15:17 (Speaking of the Restoration of the Jews) “...it will not come to pass until after they are scattered by the Gentiles; and he meaneth that it (the Gospel) shall come by way of the Gentiles, that the Lord may show his power unto the Gentiles, for the very cause that he shall be rejected of the Jews, or of the house of Israel.

I promise you Bonnie, my witness was more than heartburn. It’s unmistakably the power of God, and it does surpass all understanding. And if it be from Satan, why would Satan inspire me to follow Jesus Christ?

Thus, with what measure you have met against me, maybe you ought to apply to yourself. "There is a way that seems right to a man, but it leads to death." Are you doing what seems right to you, or what IS right with God?

When the Jews marveled how Jesus taught, he did not claim his knowledge on “letters”. He said:
John 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Paul also claimed know authority from his scholarship of the scriptures but by revelation. (Gal 1:12) By the same power Peter knew Jesus was the Messiah (Matt 16:17)

Jesus also said:
John 10:37 “If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.”
The Biblical method of learning is not to read scripture, apply OUR understanding, and then act. That why Jews rejected Jesus. It’s to have faith - act - “Follow me”, and trust in God seeking his glory.

If we’re afraid to act then we can know those feeling have not come from the devil, but rather we should trust in the Holy Ghost.
2 Tim 1:7 “6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. (aka. Gift of the HG by laying on of hands -see AoF #4)
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

That wasn't the HS, Aaron. This may make you angry, and I apologize if it does, but truth doesn't come from a feeling, but from comparing what is taught with the actual word of God, the bible. The spirit you think affirmed the BoM was the spirit of error. That is why Paul tells us to "test the spirits" because not all are from God. And we test them by comparing them to what the Bible actually teaches us--as the Bereans did. And were called "noble" for doing so.
I’m not angry, Bonnie, because I don’t seek your acceptance, nor do I believe you have the authority to interpret scripture correctly. Likewise, I’m sure my opinion is meaningless to you in comparison to the Bible.
Feelings are a medium by which God communicates with us. Again, see Gal 5:22.
You have only your speculation by what Spirit I affirm the BoM.
What in my methodology is contrary to the Bible? None of it. It just contradicts your narrative - that unwillingness to let down your guard and actually see my side.

So much of what Smith taught was blatantly unbiblical, that we MUST conclude that God did not send him and he is a totally false prophet. God doesn't send false prophets who preach contrary to His word.
This is all or nothing fallacy. What if we removed any teaching because they made a mistake? Abraham was a liar and a polygamist. Moses was punished to not see the promised land because of his mistake. David committed adultery and 2nd degree murder. Your Bible would be much thinner in you applied the same reasoning as you do with JS.

And where did God EVER Say that plural wifery is part of the "new and everlasting covenant" and that one who do NOT practice it would be damned, as BYoung once wrote? Where is having more than one wife EVER part of the actual true Gospel message in the NT? Didn't Paul say that Bishops and elders should be the husbands of just ONE WIFE? Something your church disobeyed until the 20th century--didn't it?
I’ve already stated I believe polygamy was a mistake. The new and everlasting covenant is for marriage, not for polygamy. BY wrote a lot of teaching later rejected (blood atonement, Adam-God) he also said: “Can a Prophet or an Apostle be mistaken? Do not ask me any such question, for I will acknowledge that all the time, but I do not acknowledge that I designedly lead this people astray one hair’s breadth from the truth, and I do not knowingly do a wrong, though I may commit many wrongs, and so may you. But I overlook your weaknesses, and I know by experience that the Saints lift their hearts to God that I may be led right" A Series of Instructions and Remarks by President Brigham Young at a Special Council, Tabernacle, March 21, 1858, Church Historical Department, in Richard S. Van Wagoner, ed., The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young (Salt Lake City: Smith-Pettit Foundation, 2009), 3:1418.

The BoM fulfilled nothing, least of all Biblical "prophesy." The American Indians are supposed to be descended mostly from Semites from the Middle East, but they are Caucasians. American Indians are of the Mongoloid race and come mostly from eastern Siberia. So, the entire premise of the BoM is false from its very first pages.
That suggests you know exactly how prophecy is fulfilled, and that all we need to know is in DNA. If DNA tests were available in Jesus time, would you expect the Jews perform a DNA test in Jesus to prove Joseph is not Jesus biological dad? (I suppose that would literally reveal Jesus by flesh and blood, huh? :))What your doing is called “sign seeking” and it is absent of faith.
The BoM does fulfill prophecy, but that a whole other thread, and you’d probably discount my response anyway.

I hope someday you will cease striving against the TRUE Jesus Christ of the Bible and turn to HIM to receive salvation, great and free.
Likewise, I feel the same for you.

Theo1689

And the Holy Ghost that protects our hearts:
Phillipians 4:7 - And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

That passage isn't referring to Mormons.
Just sayin'.

I promise you Bonnie, my witness was more than heartburn. It’s unmistakably the power of God, and it does surpass all understanding. And if it be from Satan, why would Satan inspire me to follow Jesus Christ?

Well, he got you to follow a false Christ.
Sounds like he succeeded very well.

Thus, with what measure you have met against me, maybe you ought to apply to yourself. "There is a way that seems right to a man, but it leads to death." Are you doing what seems right to you, or what IS right with God?

Bonnie and I believe and obey God's word, and follow God.
You follow a man-made church started by a false prophet Joseph Smith.

We have documented HUNDREDS of Biblical passages you have rejected.
And Mormons have tons of excuses for rejecting the Bible:
"not translated correctly";
"many plain and precious parts removed";
"altered by corrupt scribes";
"only the opinions of dead prophets";
etc. etc.

.... of which you have ZERO evidence for rejecting God's word, the Bible.

I’m not angry, Bonnie, because I don’t seek your acceptance, nor do I believe you have the authority to interpret scripture correctly.

The Scriptures were written in the language of common man.
First Hebrew, then Koine Greek.
They have been translated (accurately) into more common languages.

It's not written in some "Holy Spirit language".
And it's not written in a "Secret code".
Jesus told the common man to "Search the Scriptures" for themselves.

ANYONE can understand what the Scriptures teach.
They are written in LANGUAGE.
And LANGUAGE is meant to be understood, it is meant to accurately convey meaning.
The purpose of the Spirit is to convince people that what is testified in Scripture is TRUE.

The reason Mormons don't understand the Bible is three-fold:
1) They have an alternative source of "truth" that conflicts with God's word, namely their "modern Scriptures" and their false "prophets";

2) They refuse to study Scripture in CONTEXT, but instead "proof-text" single verses, without accounting for the surrounding context which conveys the meaning. There is a reason that Mormons have NEVER written any substantial commentaries of any complete book of Scripture, starting with 1:1 and working through to the end of the book.

3) Mormons don't believe in "tota Scriptura", but only quote a handful of proof-texts, and ignore the rest (such as the "only one god" passages, the "not by works" passages, etc.)

Likewise, I’m sure my opinion is meaningless to you in comparison to the Bible.
Feelings are a medium by which God communicates with us. Again, see Gal 5:22.

Gal. 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Where do you see anything about "feelings" here?
These revolve around ACTIONS, not "feelings".

This is all or nothing fallacy. What if we removed any teaching because they made a mistake? Abraham was a liar and a polygamist. Moses was punished to not see the promised land because of his mistake. David committed adultery and 2nd degree murder. Your Bible would be much thinner in you applied the same reasoning as you do with JS.

You're confusing "false teaching" (which Bonnie was talking about), with "personal sin" (which Bonnie was NOT talking about). Why do you refuse to address her comments?

I’ve already stated I believe polygamy was a mistake.

Do you claim to be a prophet of the LDS church?
If not, then you do not have the authority to "overrule" those who you claim are prophets.

You claim your "prophets" made mistakes.
But you don't make any mistakes.
You know better than they.
That's quite an attitude you've got there...

The new and everlasting covenant is for marriage, not for polygamy.

I'll look forward to you proclaiming this at GC next April.

BY wrote a lot of teaching later rejected (blood atonement, Adam-God) he also said: “Can a Prophet or an Apostle be mistaken? Do not ask me any such question, for I will acknowledge that all the time, but I do not acknowledge that I designedly lead this people astray one hair’s breadth from the truth, and I do not knowingly do a wrong, though I may commit many wrongs, and so may you. But I overlook your weaknesses, and I know by experience that the Saints lift their hearts to God that I may be led right"

Well, that's a nice convenient excuse to avoid accusations of "false prophet".