How not to defend the Bible.

Unknown Soldier

We all should be aware that many people are very critical of the Bible and don't believe much of what it says. Of course, as Christians we are commanded to be ready to defend what we believe. We read in 1 Peter 3:14-16 (New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition):
14 But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed. Do not fear what they fear, and do not be intimidated, 15 but in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you, 16 yet do it with gentleness and respect. Maintain a good conscience so that, when you are maligned, those who abuse you for your good conduct in Christ may be put to shame.
So regarding scripture we are to defend it with gentleness and respect. Sadly, Peter's advice often goes ignored. Many Christians won't even bother to defend the Bible. If they do defend it, they often treat skeptics with scorn as if they are fools or idiots.

I propose that Christians honor those who have made a good faith effort to read the Bible whether they agree with us or not about what it says or how credible it may be. Concede that many Bible passages are difficult to understand, and nobody needs to be ashamed if they have problems understanding those passages. After all, we Christians encourage unbelievers to read scripture, and we betray their trust in us if we insult their intelligence over disagreements or what conclusions they come to. If unbelievers do cite difficult passages, share with them the difficulty we all have with such passages. Don't try to take easy way outs by trying to explain away those passages as metaphorical without good justification for that interpretation. If you do so, then the skeptic might see you as using a metaphorical interpretation as an ad hoc attempt to slip out of a sticky situation. If you cannot resolve an apparent Bible difficulty, then it is probably better to simply admit that you are unable to solve the problem.

Anyway, that's a good start or so I hope. Please share your views about how not to defend the Bible.

Good points, U.S. I find believers very hesitant to say "I don't know," because they think it exhibits weakness and uncertainty.

To defend Christianity with the intellect would take encyclopedic knowledge and logical ability, and yet Scripture says we come as a child. I've personally never seen a single soul truly convinced or convicted by a precision of logical arguments.

We've lost the proper foundations, a changed character, intercession, a deep relationship with God, and a firm belief in spiritual principles, for a bunch of intellectual calisthenics. Nothing speaks to a person or impacts a person like a personal experience does.

I'm not a big fan of the apologetics movement, but I do believe God works in spite of it, not because of it.

Many Christians won't even bother to defend the Bible. If they do defend it, they often treat skeptics with scorn as if they are fools ...
It is better to hear the matter instead of drawing your own conclusions. Eccl 5:1
We've lost the proper foundations, a changed character, intercession, a deep relationship with God, and a firm belief in spiritual principles, for a bunch of intellectual calisthenics.
You will plant them {Mt 5:13} on the mountain of your inheritance—
the place, Lord, you made for your dwelling, the sanctuary, Your hands established.
“The Lord reigns for ever and ever.” Ex 15:17-18
Nothing speaks to a person or impacts a person like a personal experience does.
Grant me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your good Spirit.
Then I will instruct transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You. Ps 51:14

Last edited:
We all should be aware that many people are very critical of the Bible and don't believe much of what it says. Of course, as Christians we are commanded to be ready to defend what we believe. We read in 1 Peter 3:14-16 (New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition):

So regarding scripture we are to defend it with gentleness and respect. Sadly, Peter's advice often goes ignored. Many Christians won't even bother to defend the Bible. If they do defend it, they often treat skeptics with scorn as if they are fools or idiots.

I propose that Christians honor those who have made a good faith effortt
Unknown Soldier said:
Yes--science doesn't normally address theological claims, but Christianity addresses theological claims all the time. That's a major difference between them, and your crackpot idea that they are the same is disproved by yourself!
Yeah.....you will fit right in.
to read the Bible whether they agree with us or not about what it says or how credible it may be. Concede that many Bible passages are difficult to understand, and nobody needs to be ashamed if they have problems understanding those passages. After all, we Christians encourage unbelievers to read scripture, and we betray their trust in us if we insult their intelligence over disagreements or what conclusions they come to. If unbelievers do cite difficult passages, share with them the difficulty we all have with such passages. Don't try to take easy way outs by trying to explain away those passages as metaphorical without good justification for that interpretation. If you do so, then the skeptic might see you as using a metaphorical interpretation as an ad hoc attempt to slip out of a sticky situation. If you cannot resolve an apparent Bible difficulty, then it is probably better to simply admit that you are unable to solve the problem.

Anyway, that's a good start or so I hope. Please share your views about how not to defend the Bible.
This sounds good in theory and I pray that people would be open to the truth. However, there are Christians and non-Christians alike that have made up their minds about any particular verse and refuse to listen to alternative ideas from what they are used to or grow up with.
Perhaps you should venture over to the roman catholic, mormon, jw, eschatology, or bible prophecy forums to see how long your patience will last. Actually, any forum is pretty much like the next one with the exception of the subject matter.

a·pol·o·get·ics=>reasoned arguments or writings in justification of something, typically a theory or religious doctrine
Aren't we supposed to contend for the faith?

2Tim. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

It is better to hear the matter instead of drawing your own conclusions. Eccl 5:1
Hearing come by God not what we believe we hear. Gods manifest in you is the only way one can Hear Him in His ways. Even Jesus had to have God manifest in himself before he could hear of God Heaven by God Himself be your own mind. Matt 3:16.
You will plant them {Mt 5:13} on the mountain of your inheritance—
the place, Lord, you made for your dwelling, the sanctuary, Your hands established.
“The Lord reigns for ever and ever.” Ex 15:17-18

Grant me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your good Spirit.
Then I will instruct transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You. Ps 51:14

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. Rom 10:17
Hearing come by God not what we believe we hear. Gods manifest in you is the only way one can Hear Him in His ways. Even Jesus had to have God manifest in himself before he could hear of God Heaven by God Himself be your own mind. Matt 3:16.
You know the word which He sent to the sons of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all—Acts 10:36

Therefore receive one another, just as Jesus Christ also received us, to the glory of God. Rom 15;7

And since we have the same spirit of faith, we believe and therefore we speak; 2 Cor 4:13

Last edited:
Good points, U.S.
Thanks. It's high time that much of the terrible ways Christians use to attempt to defend the Bible stop. Unbelievers will only get turned off on the Bible if its supposed believers treat with contempt people who disagree with said believers.
I find believers very hesitant to say "I don't know," because they think it exhibits weakness and uncertainty.
Actually, admitting ignorance is a hack of a lot stronger than feigning knowledge.
To defend Christianity with the intellect would take encyclopedic knowledge and logical ability...
That's correct considering that most Bible versions in print fill a tome of well over one thousand pages. I don't think anybody has complete knowledge about the Bible.
...and yet Scripture says we come as a child.
And "child" is not meant to be a foolish or stupid person but a person seeking very basic knowledge who is open to learning. Children will also humbly admit that they don't know. We should be such "children."
I've personally never seen a single soul truly convinced or convicted by a precision of logical arguments.
In the context of learning the Bible logical arguments are not always effective because we may not have sufficient knowledge of the Bible to come up with sound arguments.
We've lost the proper foundations, a changed character, intercession, a deep relationship with God, and a firm belief in spiritual principles, for a bunch of intellectual calisthenics. Nothing speaks to a person or impacts a person like a personal experience does.
Personally, I do like those "intellectual calisthenics," but most people seeking God may not have the wherewithal to learn a lot of facts and reasons. Such limitations should not prevent anybody from studying scripture, however.
I'm not a big fan of the apologetics movement, but I do believe God works in spite of it, not because of it.
I think that God can use apologetics to inspire faith, but poor apologetics like what I outlined in the OP can obviously do more harm than good.

You know the word which He sent to the sons of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all—Acts 10:36

Therefore receive one another, just as Jesus Christ also received us, to the glory of God. Rom 15;7

And since we have the same spirit of faith, we believe and therefore we speak; 2 Cor 4:13
Thanks. It's high time that much of the terrible ways Christians use to attempt to defend the Bible stop.
For He has given proof to everyone by raising him from the dead. Acts 17:31
Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified Him, 1 Peter 1:21

I know the same God Jesus knew if that is what you mean.

JonHawk said:
For He has given proof to everyone by raising him from the dead. Acts 17:31
Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified Him, 1 Peter 1:21
I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them
and you in Me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent Me; John 17:21-23
Keep the unity of the Spirit through the covenant of peace. Eph 4:3
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as it is in the gatherings of the Lord’s people. 1 Cor 14:33

Last edited:
You should draw your own conclusions about the Bible, of course, but yes, definitely listen to what a Bible critic is saying and try to understand the critic's point of view.

Yeah.....you will fit right in.
While I'm not the topic of this thread, everybody should be alert to crackpot ideas about the Bible, of course. If you're aware that a Bible skeptic adheres to such an idea, try to use sound reason to convince her otherwise. If she still clings to that idea, then I see nothing wrong with telling her outright that it's a crackpot idea. While people should be treated with respect, ideas should not be treated with respect if those ideas are not respectable.
Perhaps you should venture over to the roman catholic, mormon, jw, eschatology, or bible prophecy forums to see how long your patience will last. Actually, any forum is pretty much like the next one with the exception of the subject matter.
Obviously, those sects are based on doctrines that other groups see as unbiblical. Personally, I see strengths and weaknesses in the way they interpret the Bible as well as strengths and weaknesses that mainline protestant and evangelical groups interpret the Bible. Keep an open mind because they may know something about the Bible that you don't know.

JonHawk said:
You should draw your own conclusions about the Bible, of course, but yes, definitely listen to what a Bible critic is saying and try to understand the critic's point of view.
Critics are all over the place. Hear the matter such as, My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” John 10:25-30

Who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time;
JonHawk said:
And you also were included in Christ when you the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed,
you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit; Eph 1:13

We thank God constantly that when you heard the gospel, you received the word of truth, which effectively renews the hearts of believers. (1 Thess 2:13)

Because from the beginning God chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth; (2 Thess 2:13)

For which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ Jesus; 1 Tim 2:5-7
But if you have bitter envy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not blatantly lie against the truth; James 3:14
For the wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against workers of iniquity, those who suppress the truth; Romans 1:17-19

For if we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 1 John 1:6

Last edited:

And you also were included in Christ when you the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed,

We thank God constantly that when you heard the gospel, you received the word of truth, which effectively renews the hearts of believers. (1 Thess 2:13)

Because from the beginning God chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth; (2 Thess 2:13)

For which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ Jesus; 1 Tim 2:5-7

But if you have bitter envy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not blatantly lie against the truth; James 3:14
For the wrath of God is indeed being revealed from heaven against workers of iniquity, those who suppress the truth; Romans 1:17-19

For if we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 1 John 1:6
Same Christ in me who was in Jesus. He was anointed of God as well by the same Spirit,mind, who was in him be in me.

JonHawk said:

Same Christ in me who was in Jesus. He was anointed of God as well by the same Spirit,mind, who was in him be in me.
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ Jesus.
To the unbeliever we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the believer, the aroma of life leading to life. 2 Cor 2:14-16

I never said it was about you.
You made it about me when you accused me of hypocrisy. When defending the Bible, one of the worst things you can do is to attack the person who is openly skeptical about the Bible's truth claims. In so doing, you can make the skeptic even more skeptical about the Bible especially if he knows that we are to get the planks out of our own eyes before we can see clearly to remove motes out of other people's eyes. The skeptic might see you as not obeying the Bible and conclude that he need not obey it either.

leonard03782 said:
I never said it was about you.
You made it about me when you accused me of hypocrisy. When defending the Bible, one of the worst things you can do is to attack the person who is openly skeptical about the Bible's truth claims.
The person who is "openly skeptical" has no option but to fall into hypocrisy when denying saving faith.
In so doing, you can make the skeptic even more skeptical about the Bible
Their portion will be with the hypocrites. Matt 24:51

For what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 2 Corinthians 6:14-16
.... The skeptic might see you as not obeying the Bible and conclude that he need not obey it either.
But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,”
They stumble because of unbelief; 1 Peter 2

Last edited:
JonHawk said:

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ Jesus.
To the unbeliever we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the believer, the aroma of life leading to life. 2 Cor 2:14-16
Same God who lead Jesus into triumph is the same one who did the same in me.

See Matt 3:16, this is when God saved Jesus and me from these religious minds as yourself.

Back