How to Authentically Speak in Tongues

It seems clear to me that you, once again, do not know how to exegete scripture.

1 Timothy 2:8-12​

New American Standard Bible 1995​

8 Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.
9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, 10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. 11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

This is a clear straight-forward teaching.
But what you have to bear in mind was the REASON for the teaching. The Church at Jerusalem didn't muzzle their women, but the folks Paul were addressing were in the place where DIANA/ARTIMIS worship was the overriding culture, and WOMEN were taught that Eve was created first, and Adam followed, and that WOMEN were the ones with the spiritual authority. SO when folks started to get Born Again, the LAST thing Paul wanted was for the women to bring in their matriarchal Religious Culture to overlay ORTHODOX Christian Biblic truths that he wasn't successful is evidence by the Catholic "Marianist" garbage that pervades everything the Roman Catholics do.
You have already been shown that self-edification tongues is no part of Acts Chapter 2.
Which, of course PROVES NOTHING. Acts Chapter 2 is about the Power of the Holy Spirit coming UPON (not "in") the Apostles/Disciples, who already had the Holy SPirit INDWELLING them since John 20:22. 1 Cor 14 discusses more fully the ministry of the Holy Spirit to people, focusing on what should be the order of a church meeting.

I see Luther and Calvin as the main contenders at the beginning of the Reformation, but Jesus said of them and their long-lived reputations, "you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead." Do you not see that He was right? Then later in the Reformation period along came people like John Wesley who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. In other words those who brought back holiness which was missing at the beginning.

But of the beginning Jesus continues, " Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain (from the RCC), that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
Do I have this right? You choose Wesley over Luther and Calvin?

I'm not going to tear down Wesley, but the fact remains that he was a lifelong member of the Church of England. The church held to the 39 articles of the Christian faith.

This is Calvinism 101. The KJV translators were Calvinists

Article 1: Of Faith in the Holy Trinity

There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the Maker, and Preserver of all things both visible and invisible. And in unity of this Godhead there be three Persons, of one substance, power and eternity; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

Article 2: Of the Word or Son of God, which was made very Man​

The Son, which is the Word of the Father, begotten from everlasting of the Father, the very and eternal God, and of one substance with the Father, took Man’s nature in the womb of the blessed Virgin, of her substance: so that two whole and perfect Natures, that is to say, the Godhead and Manhood, were joined together in one Person, never to be divided, whereof is one Christ, very God, and very Man; who truly suffered, was crucified, dead, and buried, to reconcile his Father to us, and to be a sacrifice, not only for original guilt, but also for all actual sins of men.

Article 4: Of the Resurrection of Christ​

Christ did truly rise again from death, and took again his body, with flesh, bones, and all things appertaining to the perfection of Man’s nature; wherewith he ascended into Heaven, and there sitteth, until he return to judge all Men at the last day.

Article 5: Of the Holy Ghost

The Holy Ghost, proceeding from the Father and the Son, is of one substance, majesty, and glory, with the Father and the Son, very and eternal God.

Article 6: Of the Sufficiency of the holy Scriptures for salvation​

Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an Article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation. In the name of the holy Scripture we do understand those Canonical Books of the Old and New Testament, of whose authority was never any doubt in the Church.

Article 8: Of the Three Creeds​

The Three Creeds, Nicene Creed, Athanasius’s Creed, and that which is commonly called the Apostles’ Creed, ought thoroughly to be received and believed: for they may be proved by most certain warrants of holy Scripture.

Article 9: Of Original or Birth-sin

Original Sin standeth not in the following of Adam, (as the Pelagians do vainly talk;) but it is the fault and corruption of the Nature of every man, that naturally is ingendered of the offspring of Adam; whereby man is very far gone from original righteousness, and is of his own nature inclined to evil, so that the flesh lusteth always contrary to the spirit; and therefore in every person born into this world, it deserveth God’s wrath and damnation. And this infection of nature doth remain, yea in them that are regenerated; whereby the lust of the flesh, called in the Greek Phronema Sarkos, which some do expound the wisdom, some sensuality, some the affection, some the desire, of the flesh, is not subject to the Law of God. And although there is no condemnation for them that believe and are baptized, yet the Apostle doth confess, that concupiscence and lust hath of itself the nature of sin.

Article 10: Of Free-Will

The condition of Man after the fall of Adam is such, that he cannot turn and prepare himself, by his own natural strength and good works, to faith, and calling upon God: Wherefore we have no power to do good works pleasant and acceptable to God, without the grace of God by Christ preventing us, that we may have a good will, and working with us, when we have that good will.

Article 11: Of the Justification of Man​

We are accounted righteous before God, only for the merit of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by Faith, and not for our own works or deservings: Wherefore, that we are justified by Faith only is a most wholesome Doctrine, and very full of comfort, as more largely is expressed in the Homily of Justification.

Article 17: Of Predestination and Election

Predestination to Life is the everlasting purpose of God, whereby (before the foundations of the world were laid) he hath constantly decreed by his counsel secret to us, to deliver from curse and damnation those whom he hath chosen in Christ to everlasting salvation, as vessels made to honour. Wherefore, they which be endued with so excellent a benefit of God be called according to God’s purpose by his Spirit working in due season: they through Grace obey the calling: they be justified freely: they be made sons of God by adoption: they be made like the image of his only-begotten Son Jesus Christ: they walk religiously in good works, and at length, by God’s mercy, they attain to everlasting felicity.

As the godly consideration of Predestination, and our Election in Christ, is full of sweet, pleasant, and unspeakable comfort to godly persons, and such as feel in themselves the working of the Spirit of Christ, mortifying the works of the flesh, and their earthly members, and drawing up their mind to high and heavenly things, as well because it doth greatly establish and confirm their faith of eternal Salvation to be enjoyed through Christ, as because it doth fervently kindle their love towards God: So, for curious and carnal persons, lacking the Spirit of Christ, to have continually before their eyes the sentence of God’s Predestination, is a most dangerous downfall, whereby the Devil doth thrust them either into desperation, or into wretchlessness of most unclean living, no less perilous than desperation.

Furthermore, we must receive God’s promises in such wise, as they be generally set forth to us in holy Scripture: and, in our doings, that Will of God is to be followed, which we have expressly declared unto us in the Word of God.

John Wesley had a choice. He chose to stay in the church of England while at the same time proposing doctrines contrary to the Word of God.

Wesley chose not to believe the Word of God despite the scriptures teaching it.

You are in need of a course (many of them really) in church history.

I can show you, from the Bible, where Wesley got it wrong.

No one here knows everything, surely not me, but I have taken the time to educate myself and you apparently haven 't.

You should correct this post haste.

Last edited:
How do you interpret the letters to the seven churches. They are three-fold. 1. to the historic church town. 2. to types of Christians and 3. Prophecy of church history broken down into denominational type ages.

All of which have nothing to do with Martin Luther. Try to stay on topic. You started this by abusing the legacy of Martin Luther. Before talking about church history, try learning it instead of applying it to nonsensical ideas.

How do you interpret the letters to the seven churches. They are three-fold. 1. to the historic church town. 2. to types of Christians and 3. Prophecy of church history broken down into denominational type ages.
Which version would you like? Without any particular confidence, as a knee-jerk working hypothesis, the teaching I've gravitate toward is that the churches are representative of specific periods in the development of the Visible church, which puts us probably in the Laodocean period.

However, since "Eschatology" is nothing more than rank speculation, I simply don't bother giving it too much credibility.

But what you have to bear in mind was the REASON for the teaching. The Church at Jerusalem didn't muzzle their women, but the folks Paul were addressing were in the place where DIANA/ARTIMIS worship was the overriding culture, and WOMEN were taught that Eve was created first, and Adam followed, and that WOMEN were the ones with the spiritual authority. SO when folks started to get Born Again, the LAST thing Paul wanted was for the women to bring in their matriarchal Religious Culture to overlay ORTHODOX Christian Biblic truths that he wasn't successful is evidence by the Catholic "Marianist" garbage that pervades everything the Roman Catholics do.

Which, of course PROVES NOTHING. Acts Chapter 2 is about the Power of the Holy Spirit coming UPON (not "in") the Apostles/Disciples, who already had the Holy SPirit INDWELLING them since John 20:22. 1 Cor 14 discusses more fully the ministry of the Holy Spirit to people, focusing on what should be the order of a church meeting.

I'm aware of the historical and cultural aspects of Paul's writings. Theologians have posited this idea for thousands of years. The fact remains that Paul forbade women from teaching to men. He didn't offer any hems and haws, exceptions or distinctions. Surely, a good percentage of women today are more obnoxious than ever. Debasing themselves, rallying for ungodly policies and teachings.

I am not opposed to women such as Priscilla. She joined her husband in the teaching of Apollos. But she had no leadership role. Paul praised her work.

It's about time and place.

God's design for our roles in the world is perfect.

As far as tongues go, I'm not convinced that the scriptures teach them outside of Pentecost. But... there are people such as you who firmly believe this and you have always conducted yourself honorably. I'm also willing to listen to another point of view.

Last edited:
As far as tongues go, I'm not convinced that the scriptures teach them outside of Pentecost. But... there are people such as you who firmly believe this and you have always conducted yourself honorably. I'm also willing to listen to another point of view.
Seems that Paul has plenty to say about 'em to the Corinthians in 1 cor 12, and 14.

They're actually a subset of the "Prophesy" blanket which includes Prophesy itself, and also Tongues, Interpretation of tongues, Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, All of them operate by the Holy Spirit giving you the words to say at the time, and in the company that the Spirit desires.

Simple as that. Are some (maybe a LOT of) tongues/prophesys/interpretations/etc. phony as a three dollar bill????
Is the Pope a Catholic??

Which version would you like? Without any particular confidence, as a knee-jerk working hypothesis, the teaching I've gravitate toward is that the churches are representative of specific periods in the development of the Visible church, which puts us probably in the Laodocean period.

However, since "Eschatology" is nothing more than rank speculation, I simply don't bother giving it too much credibility.

Oh, I do. These are words from Jesus.

The last four letters are overlapping to the end, and you are so right, we are in the age of Laodecia, the falling away. Just think of the number of "Christians" that voted for a person who stands for the right to kill your own baby? I know you well enough to put us both in Philadelphia, because we keep the whole Word of God and are not Cessationists. Cessationists are from Sardis, and I really don't know anymore much about the Thyatira Catholics from the 70's, whether or not they continued. I don't hear much about that anymore. I do know Charismatic Episcopals though.

So was someone interpreting these 'tongues' you were speaking in public or was it just to edify yourselves?
There is no such thing as a heavenly prayer language, all the tongues in Bible were actually unlearnt languages!

All prayers are to God when saved, no need to have a tongue other then native language!

Our native language is produced from a finite mind that does not always know what the will of God is. This is why Paul says "I will pray with the Spirit, and I will pray with the understanding." Paul does not agree with you. Your foundation should be the scriptures rather than carnal reasoning.

Last edited:
Our native language is produced from a finite mind that does not always know what the will of God is. This is why Paul says "I will pray with the Spirit, and I will pray with the understanding." Paul does not agree with you. Your foundation should be the scriptures rather than carnal reasoning.
Prating in and by the Holy Spirit is not babbling in tongues!

Prating in and by the Holy Spirit is not babbling in tongues!
How do you know? Have you ever spoken in tongues? 1 Corinthians 14:2 says that no man can understand tongues, only God. When I hear other languages that I don't know, they sound like babblings to me. YeshuaFan, my friend, don't do anything against God, even out of ignorance. Right now this post of yours is mockery of a gift of your God! And that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Be careful my friend.

I call you my friend, not because we believe alike, but because I love you as a child of the same God.

A future post will explain why most initiations into speaking in tongues just produce babble that is of the flesh. But my OP will identify 3 proven principles for genuine glossolalia. Admittedly, the Holy Spirit cannot be limited to a specific operation formula. For example, when I was speaking in tongues at age 16, a visiting Lutheran pastor interrupted me to say he was an interested spectator who didn't believe in modern speaking in tongues. I didn't argue with him, but merely touched him gently on the forehead and he just exploded in other tongues!

(1) Praying in tongues is a form of praying in the Spirit (1 Corinthians 14:14). So to speak in tongues authentically, it is advisable to first learn to "pray in the Spirit" (Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20) in your own language. Paul makes it clear that praying in the Spirit is a key to waging effective spiritual warfare (Ephesians 6:11-18). Praying in the Spirit is spontaneous Spirit-directed prayer as opposed to consciously formulated prayers of intent.

(2) The expression "lost in praise" designates a particular type of praying in the Spirit that is often a launching pad for speaking in tongues. Being lost in praise is a type of intense longing for God in which the eruption of joy triggers spontaneous and uncontrolled praise in one's own language. It is the Lord who guides the praise: "O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise (Psalm 51:15)." This type of praise is superior because it reflects and derives from "the inner being" and "my secret heart" with which I am usually out of touch (51:6). Much of what we pass off as praise is forced and mechanical; so the Spirit's intervention is needed to create a "willing spirit" (51:12)." If our worship is too much of a head trip rather than a heart eruption, we may lose the Holy Spirit as an active force in our lives: "Do not cast me away from your presence and don't take your Holy Spirit from me (51:11)."

(3) To learn to pray in the Spirit, one should first learn how to "walk in the Spirit." Walking in the Spirit is often misunderstood as mere conscious obedience to God's Word, when in fact it is more mystical than that--the believer must master the art of being "led by the Spirit (Galatians 5:25)." Unless the believer has mastered this art, they will not experience all "the fruit of the Spirit (5:22-23)."

In my next planned post, I will share my testimony of how I learned to pray in the Spirit.
Learned? It is a gift, it is a result from faith.

Learned? It is a gift, it is a result from faith.

Yes, and praying in the Spirit is the same thing as speaking in tongues given to all who believe individually when they receive Christ and He fills us with His Spirit.

Praying the will of God is from another gift called prophecy. You first hear God speak to you, and then repeat what He told you to pray. This is how all my prayers have been answered for the last 44 years. He taught me immediately after receiving His Spirit to never pray for myself without first hearing Him. Hearing him is called a Rhema.

John 15:7
7 If you abide in Me, and My words (rhema, not logos) abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Yes, and praying in the Spirit is the same thing as speaking in tongues given to all who believe individually when they receive Christ and He fills us with His Spirit.

Praying the will of God is from another gift called prophecy. You first hear God speak to you, and then repeat what He told you to pray. This is how all my prayers have been answered for the last 44 years. He taught me immediately after receiving His Spirit to never pray for myself without first hearing Him. Hearing him is called a Rhema.

John 15:7
7 If you abide in Me, and My words (rhema, not logos) abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
Describe desire? To have a billion dollars? New house and car? And you can pray and pray for it but likely will go unanswered.

Or, desire to be like Him and walk as He walks in His same light, perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect. Have His same mind the mind of Christ?

Prayer is not in asking for things, prayer is in communication with God that He may give to you His ways. Not many actually know what prayer really is -- it is talking WITH God, not TO Him.

When Jesus took his disciples up on the mountain to pray he made such a simple but profound comment -- Watch WITH me, not for me. Most watch for him to do something instead of with Him to have the same from God as he had from Him.

Describe desire? To have a billion dollars? New house and car? And you can pray and pray for it but likely will go unanswered.

Psalms 37

Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass.

You must not have read my post very well to come out swinging like that. Please don't just scan, but actually read them.

I said: "You first hear God speak to you, and then repeat what He told you to pray." It is His desires He plants in our hearts and they are NOT carnal.

Psalms 37

Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass.

You must not have read my post very well to come out swinging like that. Please don't just scan, but actually read them.

I said: "You first hear God speak to you, and then repeat what He told you to pray." It is His desires He plants in our hearts and they are NOT carnal.
I reread your post and owe you an apology. I did read it initionally but misunderstood your intent. Forgive me if you will.

(3) To learn to pray in the Spirit, one should first learn how to "walk in the Spirit." Walking in the Spirit is often misunderstood as mere conscious obedience to God's Word, when in fact it is more mystical than that--the believer must master the art of being "led by the Spirit (Galatians 5:25)." Unless the believer has mastered this art, they will not experience all "the fruit of the Spirit (5:22-23)."

You might want to work on your vocabulary. Being led by the Spirit is not an "art" to master. It just happens when we surrender ourselves wholly to God just as Jesus did until his last breath.

Back