How to know that God exists.

This is addressed to everyone.

Everything that occurs in existence is ultimately caused by God.
This post certainly doesn't show this is true.
The reason being that "God is bigger than man can imagine, because He is all existence plus Himself. So, if you can imagine the multiverse and all kinds of 'verses', then God is bigger than all those 'verses' whatsoever. And we exist inside God."
This makes no sense. It's just saying stuff.
So, within the existence that is God Himself, every occurrence or event like the Big Bang, evolution etc etc etc . . . is caused ultimately by God Himself - the permanent self-existent creator and operator of man and the universe and everything transient.

Let us envision in our mind that we are looking into a large large large sphere called existence, outside the sphere there is only nothingness.

This sphere of existence is first and foremost God Himself, as God and His existence are synonymous i.e. identical.

Now look more carefully, and you will notice that within the whole sphere that is God Himself, there are many many many extremely smaller spheres: these are man and the Big Bang and evolution and etc etc etc . . .

That is why an ancient man of wisdom exclaims:
"In God we live and move and have our being."
So you say.

Not very good at understanding people, are you.

I give what I get and no more. Be reasonable and I will be in return. Thing is though, you've shown you're incapable of it.

Oh, how many have you on ignore now?
You're still talking.
I thought you said you don't think much of me.

Apparently you have chosen to let me live rent free in your mind.
That's kind of sad really.

At least I can talk to God about you and he relieves me of you.

You don't have anyone who has the wherewithal to relieve your pain of me.

You're still talking.
I thought you said you don't think much of me.
Well done, you've got something right for once.
Apparently you have chosen to let me live rent free in your mind.
That's kind of sad really.
Not really. You're quite boring really.
At least I can talk to God about you and he relieves me of you.

You don't have anyone who has the wherewithal to relieve your pain of me.
I really don't need it.

There are three ways man comes to know the existence of God:

1. By man's intelligence and his rational faculty and his reasoning process.
2. By reading the Bible for Christians and Orthodox Jews, and the Koran for Muslims.
3. By meditation.

I know God exists by the No. 1 way.

Very briefly:
a. Man is a transient entity i.e. he is here today and then after some years of life like as much as 90 years plus, he dies.
b. The transient existence of man inevitably implicates the existence of God as the permanent self-existent creator and operator of man and the universe and everything transient.
d. Therefore God exists.
I was an atheist before I began to believe God existed. I repented when I read the NT.

Well done, you've got something right for once.

Not really. You're quite boring really.
And yet here you are spending your time and effort and thinking processes posting this.
I really don't need it.
Actually, you desperately need to be prayed for.
You may indeed not want it, but that's the great thing about this...
You don't have a choice in the matter 😎
So, you enjoy it. I sure do.

Did you have reasons to be an atheist?
I was raised Catholic but only nominally. I went to a Catholic school from kindergarten until the 4th grade. I never made a true confession or believed the gospel until I moved to England. I went to public schools after 4th grade and was taught evolution in my 9th grade science class. I believed what was taught on evolution and left Christianity (what I knew of it) behind.
What convinced you the NT was the word of God?
the Holy Spirit

There were supernatural things that happened to me prior to repentance that led me to think "maybe there is a God." I met a girl my first day in England that told me about her conversion 6 months prior and as we were talking, she began to speak in other tongues. I had no clue as to what she was saying and neither did she. She was embarrassed when it happened. Her face flushed. I asked what was that? She told me. I had wanted something real from God. Something convincing as to his existence. That was enough to get me to seek after Him. I wanted an experience with God like she had and asked her what I should do. She said to read the NT. I bought a used NT at a bookstore. I believed and repented when I read the gospel of Matthew and the sermon on the mount.

What convinced me was the Holy Spirit moving upon me, little by little, until I finally read the NT for myself.

Last edited:
What convinced me was the Holy Spirit moving upon me, little by little, until I finally read the NT for myself.
Your testimony is edifying and inspirational @Caroljeen

The seed was sown in good soil, it sprouted, was nurtured and irrigated, grew well and produced fruit.

I've just been studying some interesting verses in Colossians that speak of growing and producing fruit.

NKJV Col 1:3-6 We give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, (4) since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of your love for all the saints; (5) because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, (6) which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth;

ISV Col 1:9-10
For this reason, since the day we heard about this, we have not stopped praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the full knowledge of God's will with respect to all spiritual wisdom and understanding, (10) so that you might live in a manner worthy of the Lord and be fully pleasing to him as you bear fruit while doing all kinds of good things and growing in the full knowledge of God.

This post certainly doesn't show this is true.

This makes no sense. It's just saying stuff.

So you say.

Hi Whatsisface, had I made this request to you already, namely:
Please give an exposition on how and why you concluded that God does not exist.

Anyway, just the same, I like to read from you an exposition on how and why you concluded that God does not exist.

Regards.

Once you were made and came from the dust of the earth, and by the command of GOD, the Devil only can eat the dust of the earth, thus the Devil feeds not only of you, dust of the earth, but of all evil mankind, understand?
I understand perfectly.

I just don't believe.

see post 508

Basically, I didn't believe the existence of God and evolution were compatible.
Hi Caroljeen. Did you finish the book by Jerry Coyne? To my shame I was going to read along and compare notes but didn't, I was not feeling too well at the time so didn't make the effort. Did it affect you at all?

Anyway, just the same, I like to read from you an exposition on how and why you concluded that God does not exist.

Regards.
I haven't concluded God doesn't exist because I can't disprove God, I rather strongly believe He doesn't exist. In a nutshell this is because I think the evidence for God is poor, and I think we should base our beliefs on the evidence. The Bible is poor evidence, much of it being myth rather than history. The Gospels are poor evidence having been written decades after the events and not by eye witnesses. Gods are obviously made up by man and out of the thousands to choose from from I disbelieve in only one more than you do.

I haven't concluded God doesn't exist because I can't disprove God, I rather strongly believe He doesn't exist. In a nutshell this is because I think the evidence for God is poor, and I think we should base our beliefs on the evidence. The Bible is poor evidence, much of it being myth rather than history. The Gospels are poor evidence having been written decades after the events and not by eye witnesses. Gods are obviously made up by man and out of the thousands to choose from from I disbelieve in only one more than you do.

yrger said:

Regards.

My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we *can* suppose. JBS Haldane.

----------------

Hi Whatsisface, you say categorically:
(1) "I haven't concluded God doesn't exist because I can't disprove God."

Then you say it is just a strong belief He doesn't:
(2) "I rather strongly believe He doesn't exist."

So, on the one hand, you admit you cannot disprove God exists.

Then on the other hand, you also admit that it is just a negative belief, you mean that you don't have knowledge, what you have is just belief however strong, but still just belief - belief is not knowledge.

After the two points above, the rest of your words are in fact your attempt to prove God does not exist, contrary to the two points above:
(3) "In a nutshell this is because I think the evidence for God is poor, and I think we should base our beliefs on the evidence. The Bible is poor evidence, much of it being myth rather than history. The Gospels are poor evidence having been written decades after the events and not by eye witnesses. Gods are obviously made up by man and out of the thousands to choose from from I disbelieve in only one more than you do."

If anything, please make up your mind, you are into just a disbelief in God or you want to diprove God exists.

If you want to prove God does not exist, then write a systematic rational exposition of your disrpoof of God existing.

If anything, please make up your mind, you are into just a disbelief in God or you want to diprove God exists.
One of the definitions of "knowledge" is "justified true belief". Whatsisface isn't trying to "disprove God exists", but instead is justifying his belief that gods don't exist. Like nearly all atheists, he's already made up his mind: until credible evidence appears, he sees no good reason to believe in gods.

The systematic rational exposition missing from this equation belongs to the theists, not atheists.

One of the definitions of "knowledge" is "justified true belief". Whatsisface isn't trying to "disprove God exists", but instead is justifying his belief that gods don't exist. Like nearly all atheists, he's already made up his mind: until credible evidence appears, he sees no good reason to believe in gods.

The systematic rational exposition missing from this equation belongs to the theists, not atheists.
Particularly about knowledge of God (or spiritual world): it is supported by faith which in Greek means divine persuasion. It is normal that God would not extend this to everyone.

My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we *can* suppose. JBS Haldane.

----------------

Hi Whatsisface, you say categorically:
(1) "I haven't concluded God doesn't exist because I can't disprove God."

Then you say it is just a strong belief He doesn't:
(2) "I rather strongly believe He doesn't exist."

So, on the one hand, you admit you cannot disprove God exists.

Then on the other hand, you also admit that it is just a negative belief, you mean that you don't have knowledge, what you have is just belief however strong, but still just belief - belief is not knowledge.
I'm being somewhat pedantic about the logic here, in that it's true I can't disprove God, but the case against Him put's his existence in the same likelihood as fairies to me.
After the two points above, the rest of your words are in fact your attempt to prove God does not exist, contrary to the two points above:
(3) "In a nutshell this is because I think the evidence for God is poor, and I think we should base our beliefs on the evidence. The Bible is poor evidence, much of it being myth rather than history. The Gospels are poor evidence having been written decades after the events and not by eye witnesses. Gods are obviously made up by man and out of the thousands to choose from from I disbelieve in only one more than you do."

If you want to prove God does not exist, then write a systematic rational exposition of your disrpoof of God existing.
You're not quite understanding my position, maybe I didn't express it clearly. The rest of my words were not attempts to disprove God but to say why I find the likelihood of his existence very small.

Last edited:
Back