How will you know your Messiah?

Rachel Redux

How do Jews expect to recognize their Messiah when he arrives? How will they know he's the real guy?

I always hear that he'll have to be from the line of David, but nowadays, nobody can prove their lineage back to a particular tribe.

Do Jews believe that when the Messiah arrives on the scene, he'll be able to make Israel the center of world government in one lifetime?

Will the Messiah you're looking for be immortal?

How do Jews expect to recognize their Messiah when he arrives? How will they know he's the real guy?

I always hear that he'll have to be from the line of David, but nowadays, nobody can prove their lineage back to a particular tribe.

Do Jews believe that when the Messiah arrives on the scene, he'll be able to make Israel the center of world government in one lifetime?

I'm surprised you are still asking this question, given how often it is the topic in here, but here goes.

We will recognize the Messiah because he will fulfill all (not part) of the prophecies. He is a mortal man, like any other. The main prophecy about him is this one, about how he shall judge between the nations and usher in an era of world peace between the nations:
Isaiah 2:4

And he shall judge between the nations and reprove many peoples, and they shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift the sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.
דוְשָׁפַט֙ בֵּ֣ין הַגּוֹיִ֔ם וְהוֹכִ֖יחַ לְעַמִּ֣ים רַבִּ֑ים וְכִתְּת֨וּ חַרְבוֹתָ֜ם לְאִתִּ֗ים וַֽחֲנִיתֽוֹתֵיהֶם֙ לְמַזְמֵר֔וֹת לֹֽא־יִשָּׂ֨א ג֚וֹי אֶל־גּוֹי֙ חֶ֔רֶב וְלֹֽא־יִלְמְד֥וּ ע֖וֹד מִלְחָמָֽה:

How exactly he will do this, I don't know. Unlike in Christianity, the messiah is not a central concept to Judaism, so there just isn't detail available. It is not something that I really spend my time thinking about. It's just kind of a nice to know thing that will happen in the last days.

I'm surprised you are still asking this question, given how often it is the topic in here, but here goes.
Well, I just thought it would be nice to have a few direct answers to direct questions all together in one place. Although you didn't really answer all my questions.

We will recognize the Messiah because he will fulfill all (not part) of the prophecies. He is a mortal man, like any other.
Will he be immortal or will he die at some point?

The main prophecy about him is this one, about how he shall judge between the nations and usher in an era of world peace between the nations:
But my question remains...before he's had the chance to bring about world peace, how will you know he's your Messiah?

How exactly he will do this, I don't know. Unlike in Christianity, the messiah is not a central concept to Judaism, so there just isn't detail available. It is not something that I really spend my time thinking about. It's just kind of a nice to know thing that will happen in the last days.
Truly...not trying to be a smart-aleck here.
This is basically what I said to someone here and he had a meltdown.
You guys don't really know who or what you're waiting for as far as your Messiah goes. He's just sort of a vague concept that you don't think about very much. That would be so scary to me. It would be really easy to be fooled.

Well, first off, the Messiah will be Torah observant and teach the same, and rule by it and have children, Deut 17:14-20. He will fear his God.

Yes, from the line of David. Zechariah 12:11-14 shows the lineage still exists as does the Levitical priesthood, and all the other clans.

Yes. Or maybe thru his sons. Messiah just means anointed, as a king is.

No. He will die like any other man.

Well, I just thought it would be nice to have a few direct answers to direct questions all together in one place. Although you didn't really answer all my questions.

Will he be immortal or will he die at some point?
I already answered that here:

He is a mortal man, like any other.
But my question remains...before he's had the chance to bring about world peace, how will you know he's your Messiah?
If he hasn't brought about world peace, then you don't know he's the Messiah.

it's Mr. Siegel to you
and Jews come in all colors
No, I don't believe in a gangster Messiah. The point of blonde hair and blue eyes is with regards to the stereotypical European depiction of Jesus, when he would have been a Middle-Eastern man.

and how long is the Kingdom supposed to exist?
Tanakh doesn't say. It does say Messiah King will have sons that rule after him.

Deut 17
20Then his heart will not be exalted above his countrymen, and he will not turn aside from the commandment, to the right or to the left, in order that he and his sons may reign many years over his kingdom in Israel.

I don't believe in a gangster Messiah.
I said looks - I just hope He is over the whole Hippy thing

The point of blonde hair and blue eyes is with regards to the stereotypical European depiction of Jesus, when he would have been a Middle-Eastern man.
He probably had blue eyes like his Jewish mother

maybe when you bow you can kiss the pinky ring - lest He be angry

Tanakh doesn't say.
I think Isaiah 9 says different

Deut 17
20Then his heart will not be exalted above his countrymen, and he will not turn aside from the commandment, to the right or to the left, in order that he and his sons may reign many years over his kingdom in Israel.
you treat Messiah like some boring run of the mill king

Back