How Would A Born-Again Believer Respond?

RayneBeau

If an agnostic person asked a Born-Again Believer: "Do you have the Mass like the Catholic Church does" what would their response be?

Mike McK

If an agnostic person asked a Born-Again Believer: "Do you have the Mass like the Catholic Church does" what would their response be?
I would say there are some similarities, but that the theology is much, much different. As we are two different religions, it stands to reason we would believe two different things.

Mike McK

The roman catholic mass is blasphemy. So that'd be a no!
True, but such a harsh answer wouldn't really be helpful.

The Catholics here are aggressive in their attempts to tear down Christianity, so I say be aggressive right back at them. But the OP implies that this is a non-Christian who is asking sincerely, but simply doesn't know.

Nondenom40

The Catholics here are aggressive in their attempts to tear down Christianity, so I say be aggressive right back at them. But the OP implies that this is a non-Christian who is asking sincerely, but simply doesn't know.
I call it like i see it. Calling Jesus down from heaven, re-enacting the sacrifice of calvary is a mockery of what Jesus went through. Then pretending you need to eat Him to have life in you is pagan to the core. So i'd educate the non christian but i'm not sugar coating it either. Its an affront to our Lord.

Mike McK

I call it like i see it.
And I agreed that you were correct. I'm not saying don't tell the truth. I'm saying that there's a wise way and an unwise way to do it.
Calling Jesus down from heaven, re-enacting the sacrifice of calvary is a mockery of what Jesus went through. Then pretending you need to eat Him to have life in you is pagan to the core. So i'd educate the non christian but i'm not sugar coating it either. Its an affront to our Lord.
And they say, "Wow. This guy's got some anger issues. I'd better not ask him any more questions."

Nondenom40

And I agreed that you were correct. I'm not saying don't tell the truth. I'm saying that there's a wise way and an unwise way to do it.

And they say, "Wow. This guy's got some anger issues. I'd better not ask him any more questions."
Telling the truth isn't anger. I've been here a pretty long time. I challenge anyone to show a post thats 'angry'. I see no problem with righteous indignation when appropriate. If the mass doesn't offend a true believer and not cause them to defend our Lord then i don't know what to tell you. When our Lord is attacked we should defend Him.

Mike McK

Telling the truth isn't anger.
Come on. Don't play this game. You're better than this. You know that I did not say telling the trust is anger. You know I was referring to the aggressive way you presented it, and even told you that.
I see no problem with righteous indignation when appropriate.
Why would it be appropriate to be indignant because somebody asked you an innocent question?
If the mass doesn't offend a true believer and not cause them to defend our Lord then i don't know what to tell you. When our Lord is attacked we should defend Him.
But the person in the scenario isn't a believer. He doesn't know and he's just asking you to explain something to him, not to be angry or indignant because he had the bad judgment to come to you for help.

mica

there are much harsher replies on here.

if a friend of mine asked about the RCC I'd give them the truth and it wouldn't be a soft cushiony answer. I spend too many years being lied to by it.

something like that did happen to me except the person was a friend and a catholic and didn't ask me. She did know I'd been raised catholic but had left the RCC. I stopped by her house to tell her what happened to me (the rebirth) and what I found out (in scripture) was that I'd been lied to for years in catholic schools (by the RCC). within the following year she was born again also (and her dh/kids) and left the RCC.

balshan

Come on. Don't play this game. You're better than this. You know that I did not say telling the trust is anger. You know I was referring to the aggressive way you presented it, and even told you that.

Why would it be appropriate to be indignant because somebody asked you an innocent question?

But the person in the scenario isn't a believer. He doesn't know and he's just asking you to explain something to him, not to be angry or indignant because he had the bad judgment to come to you for help.
I always want the truth, just the truth.

Teresa

Nondenom40 said:
I see no problem with righteous indignation when appropriate.
I've never understood that attitude either? On the one hand telling a person they are saved by grace alone. And then on the other getting aggressive with them because they aren't doing it right or aren't making some kind of effort to be saved. Is it Christ who saves them or themselves doing the work? The duplicity makes me wary.

I would suppose that Mass was for the partaking of the Eucharist. Many churches provide communion every week. Others 4 times a year, and others every month. There is no law regarding the taking of communion, except to not partake of the body and blood of Christ unworthily (with willful sin). I suggest going to bed each night with a clear conscience. And make sure there is no one you need to forgive, or that you need to ask for their forgiveness. Have reconciled fellowship with one another. 1 John 1:7

balshan

I've never understood that attitude either? On the one hand telling a person they are saved by grace alone. And then on the other getting aggressive with them because they aren't doing it right or aren't making some kind of effort to be saved. Is it Christ who saves them or themselves doing the work? The duplicity makes me wary.
I think God's Spirit leads people to say what He wants said. I used to be it is all about building a relationship. My husband and a man who worked for us and was a friend would have long debates about various spiritual matters. I would say just wait build a relationship. We were visiting and our friend said what about the good muslims etc. I was keeping quiet, then all of sudden out of my mouth came "you don't have to worry about good Muslims, but you know the truth and you will be judged on what you know". I don't know where it came from, I was embarrassed but it was out there. My husband was laughing when we went to the car, he said what about taking it slow. Well a few days later our friend dropped down dead with a severe heart attack and even though the ambulance came within 5 mins, he still died. There is not always time for the feel good approach. This man had been brought up Baptist, my husband had witnessed to him over and over again. He prayed for him as well. He prayed before he visited.

Maybe God wants to pull people out of their blind following of tradtions. It is not up to us to choose the approach. As I said no one witnessed to me. God showed me false teachings of the RCC, even as a child. He took me out of the RCC and no one witnessed to me. When my mother one Christmas asked me what I wanted another time I opened my mouth and out came the words a bible. God works in different ways.

Mike McK

there are much harsher replies on here.

if a friend of mine asked about the RCC I'd give them the truth and it wouldn't be a soft cushiony answer. I spend too many years being lied to by it.
If you want to take your anger at Catholicism out on somebody who just asked an innocent question, that's up to you, I guess.

I wouldn't do it. It's not the way the Bible tells us to answer questions or to treat people, it's not the way to persuade anyone, and, frankly, I was just raised better than that.

You if you think going after somebody just for asking a question is the way to go, then go for it and the rest of us will come along behind you and try to clean up the mess.