Hundredfold Martyrs

Burnett explains imbalances on various sides, from Harnack to Jesuits. He explains how they attempt to frame the issues to match their POV. This writing by Burnett ends up being harder on Jerome and Ambrose than Hunter.

It is the best writing I have seen on the topic. I went through the first half and plan to at least skim the 2nd half.

The Blesilla reference is p. 124.
I don't agree with the conclusion that Jovinian's teaching arose mainly due to Jerome's ascetic campaign at Rome in the years 383-385. I prefer to agree with Hunter.

Ambrose, Jerome. Damasus and Siricius were united in reformulating the church on the basis of a neo-Manichaean caste system, and relying on imperial power to achieve it, and so were very sensitive to allegations of Manichaeism condemned by the Emperors. The "heresy" and persecution of Jovinian was surely not narrowly related to objections to Jerome's particular activities, but to his undermining of the very powerful aristocratic clique running the church, and to his aspersions of Manichaeism against that clique. That Jovinian's attentions were directed to the prevailing philosophy of the church is evidenced by his extensive reliance on scripture, and broad arguments; and reflected in his forceful condemnation by the likes of Siricius, a veritable wolf in sheep's clothing judging by the tone of his letters.

Against this background I suspect the Priscillianists with their own neo-Manichaean practices were seen as far less objectionable than Jovinian.

Naturally Jovinian and his party was hated and persecuted in a similar way to the English protestants before the reign of Elizabeth I.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the conclusion that Jovinian's teaching arose mainly due to Jerome's ascetic campaign at Rome in the years 383-385. I prefer to agree with Hunter.

Burnett is much wider than that.

"his insistent and cutting critique of Ambrose, Jerome, and Siricius"

He also emphasizes the laws of Theodosis.

He only sees the Rome situation of 383-385 as a trigger.

"the rearing of these tensions in an extremely dramatic way in Rome between 383 and 385, viz., the explosive mixture of the Helvidian dispute, Jerome's excessive campaign of ascetic proselytization, and the shocking death of Blesilla under his care, would have been quite sufficient to bring any previously existing tensions in the minds of serious Christians to a fever pitch with respect to these issues."

Which seems very sensible.

Back