Hypotheses and "testing"

stiggy wiggy

His stock defense is to demand YOU provide all the answers for him. :D
Your insipid smiley face won't cut it here. Woody made the accusation that AN is a liar, along with his implied praise for single observations. AN is now asking that he present a single observation to support his accusation.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Your insipid smiley face won't cut it here. Woody made the accusation that AN is a liar, along with his implied praise for single observations. AN is now asking that he present a single observation to support his accusation.
What a pity so many of the old board's posts are not available any more.

5wize

So one observations isn't enough, then. How many is required?
Depends on the nature of the claim or the proposition. Is the claim a science claim, a historical claim, a philosophical claim, or a theological claim?
Who decides this, by the way?
One decides it personally.
Who gets to observe to add their own observation to the calculation?
Everybody. Within a subject (science, history, philosophy, theology) propositions are made hopefully using the methods and criteria that works to make accurate declarations for that subject matter. Propositions are scrutinized by anybody and personal decisions are made whether the nature of the observations penetrate their current knowledge and "trust of things" as they are, whether the observation is strong enough to penetrate one's biases, and whether, someone is making the mistake of using one subject's methods and criteria to make a claim within some other subject matter (like a thinking a theological claim can be made into a scientific or a historical claim but not using the methodologies that would land it there).

Whateverman

What a pity so many of the old board's posts are not available any more.
The little app I've built holds 838 of them and counting.

An embarrassing number, if I'm being honest :)

stiggywiggy;6609268 said:
When they designate it as an "alternative lifestyle" they don't have to deal as much with the unsettling images in their heads of how these people actually deal with each other's "stinky love places."

Woody50

I don't have to; there are ample experiments doing so.
Wrong-o.

So, you're just waiting for someone to come up with this because, "I'm waiting?"

Zero experiments have given us the boiling point of water. Please, please, PLEASE tell me you know this. Or, should I ascribe you as one who thinks that...
  • the Great Wall of China can be seen from space (wrong)
  • blood unexposed to oxygen is blue (wrong)
  • humans only use part of their brains (the usual percentage is 10)
  • Dinosaurs had scales (maybe)
  • Dinosaurs were reptiles (maybe)
  • Water conducts electricity (wrong)
Go ahead. Do actual research instead of listening to ONE SOURCE as your own source of knowledge. We can talk about what makes a source "one source" later. For now, just dig.

Authentic Nouveau

Dude, you lie all the time about your experiences. Wish I could agree or even disagree with you. Are you okay?
I have just been called a liar.

Here you play atheist and make claims without gathering facts.

Are you trained to avoid research?

Go ahead and write about an experience I had and how I reported it dishonestly. Do this for 3-4 experiences. Post the dates and the people involved.
Of course this must be easy for you.

Authentic Nouveau

Still waiting for a cogent answer that is not defensive and illogical...

Go ahead. Do actual research instead of listening to ONE SOURCE as your own source of knowledge. We can talk about what makes a source "one source" later. For now, just dig.
When you hurled your lying accusations, List 5 reasons you make claims based on your having no access to fact. That is a display of poor education.

.You got caught.

5wize

Wrong-o.

So, you're just waiting for someone to come up with this because, "I'm waiting?"

Zero experiments have given us the boiling point of water. Please, please, PLEASE tell me you know this. Or, should I ascribe you as one who thinks that...
Let's just cut through the idiocy quickly here. No... atheists are not going to give ourselves over to some self affirming ad-hoc mental state like we're Patty Hearst. Lot's of very bad ideas piggy-back and seat themselves on that psychological nonsense.

Whateverman

Zero experiments have given us the boiling point of water. Please, please, PLEASE tell me you know this.
Prove it.

ps. it'll be impossible, for the simple reason that I "did" an experiment in high-school, demonstrating that the boiling point of water is 212F.

Last edited:

Torin

Prepare to have your mind blown.

5wize

Wrong-o.

Yeah... these charts make themselves....

1612323752857.png

Woody50

Yeah... these charts make themselves....

View attachment 812
LOL. You're funny. You honestly have not studied this for yourself, have you? You just listen to people you agree with.

Wrong again. The boiling point of water cannot be known, because it is not the same--even at the same altitude.

Surely you know this., because...science.

Woody50

Let's just cut through the idiocy quickly here. No... atheists are not going to give ourselves over to some self affirming ad-hoc mental state like we're Patty Hearst. Lot's of very bad ideas piggy-back and seat themselves on that psychological nonsense.
Patty Hearst? Wow. Blast from the past.

Who cares about atheism, anyway? I don't. Did I strike a nerve?

The Pixie

Wrong again. The boiling point of water cannot be known, because it is not the same--even at the same altitude.

Surely you know this., because...science.
Are you talking about mixtures? Sure, a mixture of water and ethanol has a different boiling point, as does a mixture of water and salt. Or are you thinking about air pressure changing with the weather at a set altitude?

At a standard pressure of 100 kPa (1 bar) the boiling point of pure water is 99.61°C or 211.3°F. Always.