Hypothetical Question for Christians

Gus Bovona

Silly stuff. Your belief that one glass is bigger than another is completely founded on observing that one takes up more volume than another, and is not solidified by your wife not objecting to the one you chose.
We're not verifying my belief that one glass is bigger than the other with this thought experiment. It's a given in the thought experiment. We're verifying whether my wife uses sight to discriminate the bigger from the smaller.

Correct. "Abracadabraca, GOD I COMMAND THEE TO DEMONSTRATE THYSELF" will never work.
You keep on mixing up whether we are demonstrating god or demonstrating your spirit-sense. We're not asking god to demonstrate himself, we're trying to verify your spirit-sense.

Gus Bovona

Hypothetically? Sure:

ME: "God, demonstrate Yourself!"

GOD: "Duh, sure. Anything you say, boss."
You keep on mixing up whether we are demonstrating god or demonstrating your spirit-sense. We're not asking god to demonstrate himself, we're trying to verify your spirit-sense.

And, are you capable of playing out a hypothetical? Can you play out the hypothetical I mentioned?

stiggy wiggy

We're not verifying my belief that one glass is bigger than the other with this thought experiment. It's a given in the thought experiment. We're verifying whether my wife uses sight to discriminate the bigger from the smaller.

Why are we verifying that? Was there some doubt your wife had that skill?

I don't need to. Do you need to "verify" your sight-sense?

Gus Bovona

Why are we verifying that? Was there some doubt your wife had that skill?
In order to ground our epistemology in something objective, which then ensures that we actually know what we know. Which is the whole point of this discussion.
I don't need to. Do you need to "verify" your sight-sense?
See above. If you don't have to verify your senses, you can claim that you have any sense whatsoever - I have a sense of magnetism! - and no challenge is possible.

ETA: You didn't answer this question:
And, are you capable of playing out a hypothetical? Can you play out the hypothetical I mentioned?

stiggy wiggy

See above. If you don't have to verify your senses, you can claim that you have any sense whatsoever -

But I don't make "claims," i.e, I don't have beliefs about senses I do not experience.

Incidentally, please learn to differentiate between a claim and a belief

Gus Bovona

But I don't make "claims," i.e, I don't have beliefs about senses I do not experience.

Incidentally, please learn to differentiate between a claim and a belief
You say that you have a spirit-sense and that it is real, and that is all that's needed for my previous point, regardless of whether we call it a claim or not.

Gus Bovona

As well as all that's needed for my belief.
You're just re-cycling your claim and not picking up my last point in our back-and-forth after that unnecessary diversion into claims vs beliefs. Here's where we left things:

In order to ground our epistemology in something objective, which then ensures that we actually know what we know. Which is the whole point of this discussion.

. . . . If you don't have to verify your senses, you can claim that you have any sense whatsoever - I have a sense of magnetism! - and no challenge is possible.

Gus Bovona

Sure, I can "play out" a hypothetical, I guess.
I take it that your use of scare quotes indicates a lack of seriousness in considering the implications of the hypothetical. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In case you are serious, I'm waiting for you to lay out what you see as the implications for your position of my hypothetical.

stiggy wiggy

I take it that your use of scare quotes indicates a lack of seriousness in considering the implications of the hypothetical. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In case you are serious, I'm waiting for you to lay out what you see as the implications for your position of my hypothetical.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you?