I am debating Dr. Robert Sungenis on the Roman Catholic Marian dogmas

BornAgainRN

I have been invited to debate Roman Catholic author, apologist, & filmmaker, Dr. Robert Sungenis on Thursday, October 6th starting at 8pm EST. We will be debating the Roman Catholic Marian dogmas on the "Standing For Truth" YouTube channel. You don't need a YouTube account to watch the LIVE debate, but if you have one, you can submit questions to ask us during the Q&A. Keep me in your prayers that God will be glorified & that I am able to reach the lost for Christ. Here is the link, and please share!

I have been invited to debate Roman Catholic author, apologist, & filmmaker, Dr. Robert Sungenis on Thursday, October 6th starting at 8pm EST. We will be debating the Roman Catholic Marian dogmas on the "Standing For Truth" YouTube channel. You don't need a YouTube account to watch the LIVE debate, but if you have one, you can submit questions to ask us during the Q&A. Keep me in your prayers that God will be glorified & that I am able to reach the lost for Christ. Here is the link, and please share!
I'm sure you've watched his previous debates with James White and others. He likes to appeal to variants in manuscripts. Not sure if that will apply to your debate but i think he uses it as a tactic to throw his opponents off. I've seen him do it before.

Great. I thought that Dr. Sungenis retired from debating. I guess not.

Yes, we should always be praying that God will be glorified and that God will use us to reach the list for Christ.

Will that be a debate of what scripture says, or will he be allowed to bring in rcc traditions into it?

Will that be a debate of what scripture says, or will he be allowed to bring in rcc traditions into it?

Like this tradition?

According to Sungenis, he became interested in geocentrism around 2002 after he read the book, Geocentricity by Gerardus D. Bouw. Sungenis became an advocate for the idea by 2006. He believes that the earth does not rotate[and has offered $1,000 via his group, Catholic Apologetics International, to anyone who could prove that the Earth moves around the Sun.

By 2011, he was the leader of a small group of conservative Roman Catholics who were advocating for the Roman Catholic Church to go back to the stance it took in condemning Galileo and which viewed the heliocentric model as part of a conspiracy to undermine the authority of the church in society more generally.

Great. I thought that Dr. Sungenis retired from debating. I guess not.

Yes, we should always be praying that God will be glorified and that God will use us to reach the list for Christ.
"I, being an independent Catholic theologian, am able to penetrate a little more deeply and be much more critical, as I have always done in this apostolate.
Although some still regard me as a “Catholic apologist,” unlike Jimmy Akin and Catholic Answers I no longer consider myself an apologist for the modern Catholic Church. When compared to the Catholic Church of tradition, I have resolved that the modern Catholic Church will be required to stand on its own, for I simply cannot defend it any longer.
There are simply too many doctrinal aberrations and moral laxities in today’s Catholic Church that are indefensible. In light of these problems, I have assumed what I believe is the more appropriate position – that of being a prophet of warning rather than one an apologist seeking to exonerate the Church from false accusations.
Today many accusations against the Church are quite legitimate and I certainly will not be a party to sweeping them under the rug.

Hence, I presently take my model from that of Jeremiah, Isaiah, Ezekiel and all the other prophets who spoke out against similar doctrinal aberrations and moral laxities that occurred in Israel before God finally judged them.

I believe that if the modern Catholic Church stays on the course it has chosen, it also will be judged by God as Israel was, and, in fact, it is already being judged as we have seen the deterioration in the Church for the last few decades.

I’m sorry to have to say this, but from all my knowledge and experience, I would have to say that the last few pontificates have been an almost total disaster for the Catholic Church, especially the pontificate of John Paul II."

-
Robert Sungenis 2011

Like this tradition?

According to Sungenis, he became interested in geocentrism around 2002 after he read the book, Geocentricity by Gerardus D. Bouw. Sungenis became an advocate for the idea by 2006. He believes that the earth does not rotate[and has offered $1,000 via his group, Catholic Apologetics International, to anyone who could prove that the Earth moves around the Sun.

By 2011, he was the leader of a small group of conservative Roman Catholics who were advocating for the Roman Catholic Church to go back to the stance it took in condemning Galileo and which viewed the heliocentric model as part of a conspiracy to undermine the authority of the church in society more generally.
So he's what Bugs Bunny would call a " maroon".

I’m sorry to have to say this, but from all my knowledge and experience, I would have to say that the last few pontificates have been an almost total disaster for the Catholic Church, especially the pontificate of John Paul II."

-
Robert Sungenis 2011
I wonder if Sungenis mentioned this disappointment to St. JPII.

No I say that because where in scripture can one find the Marian doctrines?
Why do the Scriptures have to explicitly teach the Marian doctrines?

Why isn't the authoritative testimony of the Church to these doctrines not evidence that the apostles taught them?

These are the two questions Protestants never seem to get around to answering.
He has to get them from somewhere other than scripture. And the only place I know is in the rcc made up Marian doctrines.
Again, why should we discount the authoritative testimony of the Church regarding these doctrines?

The Church has judged that the Marian doctrines are in accord with Scripture. What is the problem?

Why isn't the authoritative testimony of the Church to these doctrines not evidence that the apostles taught them?

Again, why should we discount the authoritative testimony of the Church regarding these doctrines?

The Church has judged that the Marian doctrines are in accord with Scripture. What is the problem?
Who are you worshipping? God or the rcc?

Again why should we accept the false testimony of the RCC regarding these doctrines? The only scriptural test it passes is the one for the bad tree.
The RCC cannot show the need for the Marian doctrines and they make her co redeemer, mediatrix etc and that goes against God's word. If they are not found in scripture they are just musings of fallible men and are not from God at all. It doesn't have to be in scripture but it certainly needs to meet the standards set in God's word and not go against it. The word trinity is not in scriptures but it can be seen throughout scripture. Mary is missing from most of scripture.

Why should we trust things that come from the false gospel of James, the POJ which is just full of false claims etc. Even your institution recognizes it is not really reliable as a document.

Your leaders are proven not to follow the teachings of the apostles, they are proven to ignore scriptures, add to scriptures and go beyond scripture, they have given into sexual sins throughout its history, they lie, they have a history of greed, of harming the flock. Why would any real believer trust them, when they prove they do not know or follow jesus?

Your questions have been answered thousands of times but you are too blind to see the answers.

BECAUSE the claim is that our salvations depends on accepting the Assumption of Mary.

Salvation does NOT depend on accepting Thomas traveled to India, or Mary was assumed into heaven, or Peter visited Rome, or John was boiled , or .... etc.

I don't care if the Assumption of Mary is true or false
It becomes an issue when that belief is mandated for salvation.

Answered

Last edited:
They are mutually exclusive. Not one rc, in the four years that i have been on CARM, has been able to show that the "traditions" of the rcc are anywhere in the Scriptures despite your frustrated protestations.
2 Thes 2:15
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

Back