"I desire mercy ...... "

Is this applicable to big club Calvinists? (those carrying a 'big club')

New American Standard Bible
Now go and learn what this means: ‘I DESIRE COMPASSION, RATHER THAN SACRIFICE,’ for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

If God didn't desire sacrifice, then why did He plan the sacrifice of Jesus Christ?

The verse is conditioned upon a proper sacrifice. A sacrifice that man couldn't provide.

Many claim they are still in the chief of sinners category as “ believers “ followers of Christ which is an oxymoron.

Paul used those words late in his life.

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

It helps if you know the Scriptures.

Paul used those words late in his life.

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

It helps if you know the Scriptures.

Did you know that "late in life" you can still refer to much earlier in life?

That's what he is doing. Paul is referring to his pre-Christian sinful ways of tormenting believers.

No. The context is the journey of his life to that present moment. Paul sinned after being converted. He called himself a "wretched man".

This contrasts you and your "team". You're all good aren't you?

No. The context is the journey of his life to that present moment.

There isn't the slightest reason to accept this claim of yours.

12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service, 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent aggressor. Yet I was shown mercy because I acted ignorantly in unbelief; 14 and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus. 15 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. 16 Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.

THIS is what Paul believed about saved believers:

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?

Paul sinned after being converted. He called himself a "wretched man".

Um, no. Paul is referring to the situation of a Jew under the Law not a Christian who is not under the Law.

24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin. Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

This contrasts you and your "team". You're all good aren't you?

What "team" would that be?

Last edited:
That's what he is doing. Paul is referring to his pre-Christian sinful ways of tormenting believers.

He is hardly declaring that he, as a follower of Jesus, is presently the biggest sinner in the world. Get real.
Paul was speaking in the present tense. IOW, even as a believer, he is calling himself the chief of sinners, but hey, don't the scripture de-rail your presuppositions ... ?

Back