I have an honest question for any Latter-day Saint (aka "Mormon") member here, why does all of your sources say that the 7th day is the sabbath ...

I have an honest question for any Latter-day Saint (aka "Mormon") member here,

Why does all of the LDS sources say that the 7th day is the sabbath, and yet the LDS themselves keep the first day of the week as the sabbath?

For instance see, Book of Mormon - Jarom 1:5; Mosiah 13:16-19, 18:23; III Nephi 18:14 & notations.​
For instance:​
Jarom 1:5 Book Of Mormon: 5 And now, behold, *two hundred years had passed away, and the people of Nephi had waxed strong in the land. They observed to akeep the law of Moses and the bsabbath day holy unto the Lord. And they cprofaned not; neither did they dblaspheme. And the elaws of the land were exceedingly strict. - http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/jarom/1
For instance see Doctrine and Covenants - sec 59, #9-12; sec 68, #29 & notations.​
For instance Book of Moses, Chap. 3:1-3, & notations.​
For instance Book of Abraham, Chap. 5:1-3 & notations.​
For instance Elder Bruce McConkie of Quorum of 12, ensign 2000.​
For instance Elder Bernard P. Brockbank as Assistant to Council of 12, ensign 1971.​
For instance President Thomas S Monson, 2011, GC​
For instance Joseph Smith (Prophet LDS) connected the 7 days of Genesis, with the 7000 years of the earth, in the 6,000 and 1,000 final. (all quotations upon request).​

Is there any official documentation in the "standard works" that explains this behaviour, or discrepancy?

Redeemed

Sounds like a good question to me. So being the good Internet junkie that I R I did a quick search.

For Latter-day Saints (Mormons), The Sabbath Day is Sunday in most of the world. Mormons who live in Israel celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday, and in Moslem countries, on Friday, keeping the spirit of the law to set aside the seventh day, but enabling Mormons to align themselves with the cultures’ workweeks. (view page)​

It'll be interesting to see the replies you get. But from just reading the small section of copy and paste above it seems to agree with a lot of the flip-flopping you see in Mormonism. They call it "a day of rest" but if you read the activities they have laid out for that day it sounds like false advertising to me. It reminds me of a dog training track, where the dogs jump over various obstacles, run up ramps, run through plastic pipes, And jump through hoops.

In other words perform or work.

All of the meetings typically last three hours in total, with sacrament meeting being one of three. After sacrament meeting, members of the congregation split off into classes, where Gospel principles are taught and the members can learn and share experiences. Teachers of these classes are called by the priesthood leaders.

I've read about the shared experiences being like little sales pitches about how great Mormonism is. And It's just of repetition of that.
Thanks for the thought-provoking question and giving me something to research. Also welcome to the board, hope to see you around and to read some of your input. Have a blessed day Vitamin-Christ!

Bonnie

Sounds like a good question to me. So being the good Internet junkie that I R I did a quick search.

It'll be interesting to see the replies you get. But from just reading the small section of copy and paste above it seems to agree with a lot of the flip-flopping you see in Mormonism. They call it "a day of rest" but if you read the activities they have laid out for that day it sounds like false advertising to me. It reminds me of a dog training track, where the dogs jump over various obstacles, run up ramps, run through plastic pipes, And jump through hoops.

I've read about the shared experiences being like little sales pitches about how great Mormonism is. And It's just of repetition of that.
Thanks for the thought-provoking question and giving me something to research. Also welcome to the board, hope to see you around and to read some of your input. Have a blessed day Vitamin-Christ!
I remember reading in Lynn Wilder's book that Sunday was a day of unrelenting church work. She and her husband had numerous "callings" they had to fulfill on Sunday. So, Lynn had to hire a teen-aged girl to get her 4 kids up, dressed, and fed, and then take them to their ward church, when they were young, so Lynn and her husband could go fulfill their callings. Some Sundays, they wouldn't see each other for up to 12 hours! Some "day of rest"! That is why in Mormonism, Mondays are supposed to be for families, where they are supposed to sit down all together and read stuff from the BoM or other Mormon scriptures.

Redeemed

I remember reading in Lynn Wilder's book that Sunday was a day of unrelenting church work. She and her husband had numerous "callings" they had to fulfill on Sunday. So, Lynn had to hire a teen-aged girl to get her 4 kids up, dressed, and fed, and then take them to their ward church, when they were young, so Lynn and her husband could go fulfill their callings. Some Sundays, they wouldn't see each other for up to 12 hours! Some "day of rest"! That is why in Mormonism, Mondays are supposed to be for families, where they are supposed to sit down all together and read stuff from the BoM or other Mormon scriptures.
Thanks Bonnie, it's good to know we can rely on you for the correct information on Mormonism since you been doing your due diligence on all things Mormon. I know that I've barely scratched the surface but I find it quite interesting.

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie, it's good to know we can rely on you for the correct information on Mormonism since you been doing your due diligence on all things Mormon. I know that I've barely scratched the surface but I find it quite interesting.
That was Lynn's family's experience....other Mormons may have had different experiences. Some who have fewer "callings" probably get to worship together on Sunday mornings at their ward buildings.

Why does all of the LDS sources say that the 7th day is the sabbath, and yet the LDS themselves keep the first day of the week as the sabbath?

For instance see, Book of Mormon - Jarom 1:5; Mosiah 13:16-19, 18:23; III Nephi 18:14 & notations.​
For instance:​
Jarom 1:5 Book Of Mormon: 5 And now, behold, *two hundred years had passed away, and the people of Nephi had waxed strong in the land. They observed to akeep the law of Moses and the bsabbath day holy unto the Lord. And they cprofaned not; neither did they dblaspheme. And the elaws of the land were exceedingly strict. - http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/jarom/1
For instance see Doctrine and Covenants - sec 59, #9-12; sec 68, #29 & notations.​
For instance Book of Moses, Chap. 3:1-3, & notations.​
For instance Book of Abraham, Chap. 5:1-3 & notations.​
For instance Elder Bruce McConkie of Quorum of 12, ensign 2000.​
For instance Elder Bernard P. Brockbank as Assistant to Council of 12, ensign 1971.​
For instance President Thomas S Monson, 2011, GC​
For instance Joseph Smith (Prophet LDS) connected the 7 days of Genesis, with the 7000 years of the earth, in the 6,000 and 1,000 final. (all quotations upon request).​

Is there any official documentation in the "standard works" that explains this behaviour, or discrepancy?

Citing the LDS source:

The LDS connect keeping the commandments with entering into life:

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Cross-linking this question:

My additional question for the LDS ("Mormon") member is, "Which commandments?, and where can I find a written copy of them in the Bible?" This is especially relevant to this first question - https://forums.carm.org/threads/i-h...t-the-7th-day-is-the-sabbath.1174/#post-74202

I mean just looking at this from an outside perspective, I got two contradictory sets:

1. No other Gods ----------------------1. No other Gods
2. No Idols -----------------------------2. No Idols
3. No Name Of God In Vain -----------3. No Name Of God In Vain
4. The 7th Day Keep It Holy ---------4. The 1st Day Keep It Holy
5. Honour Father/Mother --------------5. Honour Father/Mother
6. No Kill/Murder ----------------------6. No Kill/Murder
7. No Adultery -------------------------7. No Adultery
8. No Steal -----------------------------8. No Steal
9. No Bear False Witness --------------9. No Bear False Witness
10. No Covet ---------------------------10. No Covet.

Well???

Last edited:

Bonnie

Remember that I wrote that Father JD experienced? He is a former Mormon, though he left that church before serving his mission. He is now a retired conservative Anglican preacher, living in Vienna with his wife. Anyway, he had some relatives who were still active Mormons come visit and they wanted to attend the local ward church. Being a nice guy, JD took them there and sat through the 3 hours. He said the first hour was entirely about how they should all have a "testimony" of Joseph Smith, Jr. The second hour was devoted to justifying building all of the temples all over the world, by studying the one temple God authorized to build in Jerusalem. The third hour was devoted to how to show more love for each other--using a secular book, not the Bible. By this time, JD said he texted his wife, "Just shoot me now!" He was that bored. He said Jesus was never mentioned except at the end of a prayer "in Jesus' name." But he never heard the Good News preached at all. No wonder it was so boring!

Last edited:

Redeemed

Remember that I wrote that Father JD experienced? He is a former Mormon, though he left that church before serving his mission. He is now a retired conservative Anglican preacher, living in Vienna with his wife. Anyway, he had some relatives who were still active Mormons come visit and they wanted to attend the local ward church. Being a nice guy, JD took them there and sat through the 3 hours. He said the first hour was entirely about how they should all have a "testimony" of Joseph Smith, Jr. The second hour was devoted to justifying building all of the temples all over the world, by studying the one temple God authorized to build in Jerusalem. The third hour was devoted to how to show more love for each other--using a secular book, not the Bible. But this time, JD said he texted his wife, "Just shoot me now!" He was that bored. He said Jesus was never mentioned except at the end of a prayer "in Jesus' name." But he never heard the Good News preached at all. No wonder it was so boring!
Yes I do have a vague recollection I could recall where the information came from or exactly what it was but I do remember reading it. At 72 with that short-term memory loss thing going on it can be a real challenge and a lot of laughs :ROFLMAO:

The part I was trying to find and couldn't remember where I read it was that each persons testimony was a little story on how sweet warm and wonderful Joseph Smith jr. was and how their profit was the best profit ever. And on and on and on. The article went on to state that the content of the testimonies didn't change they were all along the same lines of how wonderful Mormonism is. No real honest evaluations or sincere feelings.

Redeemed

Back to reading Lynn Wilder's book "7 reasons why We left Mormonism" right now. I also read somewhere That in this day and age When they sit down to study and read stuff that nobody's really into it. They are shopping on their phone or whatever. It went on to say that most Mormons today really don't have a deep understanding of Mormonism. All they have are the talking points so they can convince people they know what they're talking about.

I must admit since I'm only in my third week of my in-depth study on Mormonism I'm guilty of only knowing the talking points to convince people on the dangers of Mormonism. The difference is... because of all the encouragement I received here I've decided to make this a two-year study, in-depth study. I'm thinking at that point you guys better watch out because there's going to be a new sheriff in town. Then I actually will know what I'm talking about and I'll be able to give out the correct information like yourself Bonnie... and the other top posters here.

Bonnie

Back to reading Lynn Wilder's book "7 reasons why We left Mormonism" right now. I also read somewhere That in this day and age When they sit down to study and read stuff that nobody's really into it. That shopping on their phone or whatever. It went on to say that most Mormons today really don't have a deep understanding of Mormonism. All they have are the talking points so they can convince people they know what they're talking about.

I must admit since I'm only in my third week of my in-depth study on Mormonism I'm guilty of only knowing the talking points to convince people on the dangers of Mormonism. The difference is... because of all the encouragement I received here I've decided to make this a two-year study, in-depth study. I'm thinking at that point you guys better watch out because there's going to be a new sheriff in town. Then I actually will know what I'm talking about and I'll be able to give out the correct information like yourself Bonnie and the other top posters here.
Thank you, Redeemed. You are off to a good start. I was in your position on this board, over 8 years ago, starting my study of Mormonism with LaTayne Scott's book MORMON MIRAGE. She is a former Mormon who ended up leaving the church after she came to realize that Smith's "translation" of the Egyptian scrolls was totally bogus. The Pearl book is based upon them, supposedly.

Bonnie

Yes I do have a vague recollection I could recall where the information came from or exactly what it was but I do remember reading it. At 72 with that short-term memory loss thing going on it can be a real challenge and a lot of laughs :ROFLMAO:

The part I was trying to find and couldn't remember where I read it was that each persons testimony was a little story on how sweet warm and wonderful Joseph Smith jr. was and how their profit was the best profit ever. And on and on and on. The article went on to state that the content of the testimonies didn't change they were all along the same lines of how wonderful Mormonism is. No real honest evaluations or sincere feelings.
I think you mean "prophet", not "profit"....but then, the LDS church does have $100 billion in profits squirreled away in various places...so maybe you posted better than you knew...

Have you read James Spencer's BEYOND MORMONISM book? He describes seeing something similar in the Fast and Testimony services held the first Sunday of every month, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Bonnie

Well, that was the Wilders' experience--other Mormons' experience might be different. And I do make mistakes, sometimes. But I do my best to be accurate.

Redeemed

I think you mean "prophet", not "profit"....but then, the LDS church does have $100 billion in profits squirreled away in various places...so maybe you posted better than you knew...

Have you read James Spencer's BEYOND MORMONISM book? He describes seeing something similar in the Fast and Testimony services held the first Sunday of every month, if I am not mistaken.
LOL
It's That voice to text Program I use. Sometimes it just types whatever it wants. Either that or my pronunciation is really bad.

I hear you, I'm thinking if Joseph Smith didn't have to making a profit in mind there wouldn't be any Mormonism. If you read about his family history and what they were into. I don't know any other way to say it, but they were con artist. Financial gain is one of the motivating factors in their tradecraft. Throw that in with desire to be the biggest cult leader the world ever known, except that other prophet in the Middle East had that dream in a cave and gave the world the religion of peace. Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive’.

Last edited:

Bonnie

Citing the LDS source:

Cross-linking this question:

I mean just looking at this from an outside perspective, I got two contradictory sets:

1. No other Gods ----------------------1. No other Gods
2. No Idols -----------------------------2. No Idols
3. No Name Of God In Vain -----------3. No Name Of God In Vain
4. The 7th Day Keep It Holy ---------4. The 1st Day Keep It Holy
5. Honour Father/Mother --------------5. Honour Father/Mother
6. No Kill/Murder ----------------------6. No Kill/Murder
7. No Adultery -------------------------7. No Adultery
8. No Steal -----------------------------8. No Steal
9. No Bear False Witness --------------9. No Bear False Witness
10. No Covet ---------------------------10. No Covet.

Well???
Actually. Mormonism teaches polytheism--a belief in more than one God...though they only worship their heavenly Father, an exalted man of flesh and bone. But it teaches multiple gods, and that men can evolve into gods. These 2 things
Alone exclude them from orthodox Christianity.

Bonnie

LOL
It's That voice to text Program I use. Sometimes it just types whatever it wants. Either that from my pronunciation is really bad.

I hear you, I'm thinking if Joseph Smith didn't have to making a profit in mind there wouldn't be any Mormonism. If you read about his family history and what they were into. I don't know any other way to say it, but they were con artist. Financial gain is one of the motivating factors in their tradecraft. Throw that in with desire to be the biggest cult leader the world ever known, except that other prophet in the Middle East had that dream in a cave and gave the world the religion of peace. Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive’.
I see...but the 2 words are very similar sounding. But I basically agree with your assessment.

It went on to say that most Mormons today really don't have a deep understanding of Mormonism. All they have are the talking points so they can convince people they know what they're talking about.
This I have noticed also, but I can say, that the same principles apply to most of those who claim religion, whether Christianity (and all that goes with that), Judaism, Islam, and even other 'faiths' in the world. Find a modern day, common Christian (of whatever), 'Jew' or Muslim, even a hindu man, and ask what they believe about their history, explain their practices/beliefs, or all of the idolatry around them and the false gods, and they may just shrug their shoulders. So I cannot fault the LDS member so much in that area, without also closely examining the same in all the others, but even so, that is no excuse for theirs nor the others ignorance (willingly or no). On some level I can blame the parents, another level on the schooling, if they go to school to learn what they believe, and another yet on this age of 'deep sleep', and nonchalance.

Aaron32

D&C 59:12 But remember that on this, the Lord’s day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord.

Redeemed

This I have noticed also, but I can say, that the same principles apply to most of those who claim religion, whether Christianity (and all that goes with that), Judaism, Islam, and even other 'faiths' in the world. Find a modern day, common Christian (of whatever), 'Jew' or Muslim, even a hindu man, and ask what they believe about their history, explain their practices/beliefs, or all of the idolatry around them and the false gods, and they may just shrug their shoulders. So I cannot fault the LDS member so much in that area, without also closely examining the same in all the others, but even so, that is no excuse for theirs nor the others ignorance (willingly or no). On some level I can blame the parents, another level on the schooling, if they go to school to learn what they believe, and another yet on this age of 'deep sleep', and nonchalance.
Well said and I wholeheartedly agree. I think as far as Christianity goes I've dug deeper than your average bear. I'm by no means a Bible scholar more of a armchair theologian. My problem is communicating what I've learned. But then it's living word and I rely on the Holy Spirit to bring that word out of me. I do know quite a bit about Islam as I studied that out for about five years and then lost interest. Now I've decided to study out Mormonism, I call it my in-depth study on Mormonism. I've only scratched the surface and I'm only just learning the talking points. But I's a quick study and luckily my mind still works pretty good. So I've decided to give my study on Mormonism and how to communicate on this board a good two years of studying. I'm lucky enough to have a few people showing me the ropes and correcting me when I start going off the deep end.

You're actually helping me right now by sharing your thoughts with us. And I say all the time the main reason I'm here is to learn. I was able to go to computer school in the 90s I Was around 50 something. And I fell in love with computers. The information highway. I've always liked art and that really helped me in website design. And then I discovered Christian Software, Like Logos Bible software. So I can use the two to make Christian websites and church websites. At 72 I'm pretty much retired I still do a few websites but I like doing this because In a way it combines all the things I like. Now if everybody on the board could just get along and not argue and bicker I'd be a happy camper. :rolleyes: