I lost my faith; Here's my story

stiggy wiggy

On November 23rd at 3 PM, I was cleaning my gutters and fell off a ladder, causing a broken leg and several fractured ribs. This had me laid up in bed with severe pain for weeks, giving me quite a bit of time to reflect on my belief that god is a god of love. If he had foreknowledge like I believed, he would have seen me fall and stopped it if he were a loving god. And then I remembered all the thousands of times I was reminded here about how he drowned babies.

Forgive me if I offered any false hope for our destinies, which I now know are bleak. I can't decide whether to kill myself and thereby get a head start on oblivion, or to eat, drink and be merry. But the latter I tried in my youth and I was more miserable doing so healthily than I've been racked with pain in bed the last several weeks.

You guys TRIED to tell me that the existence of suffering proved the non-existence of a loving god, but I wouldn't listen. But you sowed the seeds of doubt and for that I am grateful..

5wize

On November 23rd at 3 PM, I was cleaning my gutters and fell off a ladder, causing a broken leg and several fractured ribs. This had me laid up in bed with severe pain for weeks, giving me quite a bit of time to reflect on my belief that god is a god of love. If he had foreknowledge like I believed, he would have seen me fall and stopped it if he were a loving god. And then I remembered all the thousands of times I was reminded here about how he drowned babies.

Forgive me if I offered any false hope for our destinies, which I now know are bleak. I can't decide whether to kill myself and thereby get a head start on oblivion, or to eat, drink and be merry. But the latter I tried in my youth and I was more miserable doing so healthily than I've been racked with pain in bed the last several weeks.

You guys TRIED to tell me that the existence of suffering proved the non-existence of a loving god, but I wouldn't listen. But you sowed the seeds of doubt and for that I am grateful..
Sorry to hear. That is truly a terrible thing to feel that kind of pain and I hope for you an un-frustrated mending.

But you don't have to abandon the Bible as a result.... there's always Ecclesiastes!

stiggy wiggy

Sorry to hear. That is truly a terrible thing to feel that kind of pain and I hope for you an un-frustrated mending.

But you don't have to abandon the Bible as a result.... there's always Ecclesiastes!

No, I have to abandon all hope now. Tell me what hope I have.

5wize

No, I have to abandon all hope now. Tell me what hope I have.
You have to trust that what I am telling you is true. Without you trusting to experience what I am telling you you cannot know that Ecclesiastes is your guide to better after-living.

5wize

Something besides eternal oblivion.
... but look at it this way. Atheism saved you from the Twilight Zone existence of eternal and perpetual praise and adoration to the Supreme Leader on a cloud where I'm sure you'll get tired of not having any traction on ,and mandatory choir workshops and endless harp tuning. Who want's that?

CrowCross

We live in a fallen world....Stuff happens. Be glad you didn't die and are not in Hell....

stiggy wiggy

... but look at it this way. Atheism saved you from the Twilight Zone existence of eternal and perpetual praise and adoration to the Supreme Leader on a cloud

Compared to complete oblivion, that sounds delightful. I would have hoped it would be one of those soft and billowy marshmallow cumulus clouds, but alas, lights-out for us all.

5wize

Compared to complete oblivion, that sounds delightful. I would have hoped it would be one of those soft and billowy marshmallow cumulus clouds, but alas, lights-out for us all.
Really?... you've never experienced a deep dreamless sleep? I have. In retrospect I think it offered a much fonder reflection than thinking about the daily drudgery of an eternal choir angel.