I love what this Catholic priest told this person...

Bonnie

"Not Lutheran, but Catholic. And I have to say, given a lot of lifelong struggles with depression and self-hate, I can think of few moments more powerful in my life than when my priest turned around, gestured to the crucifix behind the altar, and said 'He thought you were worth that.'"

Wonderful!

Now, if Catholic priests would stop adding so much OTHER stuff to the pure Gospel of Jesus Christ...

Nondenom40

"Not Lutheran, but Catholic. And I have to say, given a lot of lifelong struggles with depression and self-hate, I can think of few moments more powerful in my life than when my priest turned around, gestured to the crucifix behind the altar, and said 'He thought you were worth that.'"

Wonderful!

Now, if Catholic priests would stop adding so much OTHER stuff to the pure Gospel of Jesus Christ...
Adding to the gospel is a compulsion with false religions. It's all about control.

mica

Adding to the gospel is a compulsion with false religions. It's all about control.
if they centered on the gospel people might eventually be saved and they'd lose that control over them. I just scanned a 'homily' by the pope (on another thread) and didn't see even 1 mention of the gospel. otoh, Mary was mentioned...

Nondenom40

if they centered on the gospel people might eventually be saved and they'd lose that control over them. I just scanned a 'homily' by the pope (on another thread) and didn't see even 1 mention of the gospel. otoh, Mary was mentioned...
So the pope never mentioned matthew mark luke or john:)....Thats about the only gospel we ever hear from them.

Bonnie

Of course, Mary was mentioned. That is a given.

Our ministers are taught to bring in the Gospel message each and every time they preach. They operate on the idea that if someone came into the church, who had never heard of Jesus Christ, by the time he left, he would have a pretty good idea Who He is and what He did for us and WHY.

Last edited:

mica

So the pope never mentioned matthew mark luke or john:)....Thats about the only gospel we ever hear from them.
lol! yes, he did mention m/m/l and j - he also used the words 'the gospel' and quoted from m/m/l and j. a lot of flowery words and mixed up verses used out of context. the usual catholic stuff. toss Mary into the mix and you've got catholic word salad.

if my preacher / teacher didn't frequently mention the sacrifice of the cross I'd look for a replacement.

mica

Of course, Mary was mentioned. That is a given.

Our ministers are taught to bring in the Gospel message each and every time they preach. They operate no the idea that if someone came into the church, who had never heard of Jesus Christ, by the time he left, he would have a pretty good idea Who He is and what He did for us and WHY.
and that is how it should be! As a long time believer I still never get tired of hearing it. Most nights I go to sleep listening to a CD that starts out with 'The old rugged cross'.

Mike McK

Wonderful!

But that's not what the Bible says. Jesus didn't go to the cross because He thought we were "worth it". If that were true, then what about us is "worth it", while the unregenerate aren't "worth it"?

The Bible says the opposite: that Christ died for us in spite of the fact that we were sinners, not because we were "worth it".

The cross is all about Jesus and His glory, not our worthiness.

As Adrian Rogers once said, "The only thing we contribute to salvation is the sin that made it necessary".

Bonnie

lol! yes, he did mention m/m/l and j - he also used the words 'the gospel' and quoted from m/m/l and j. a lot of flowery words and mixed up verses used out of context. the usual catholic stuff. toss Mary into the mix and you've got catholic word salad.

if my preacher / teacher didn't frequently mention the sacrifice of the cross I'd look for a replacement.
So would those in our church, too. Ministers in our church are taught to bring up both Law and Gospel in our church, and to base the sermon on one of the three Pericope readings from the Bible for that day--from the OT, NT epistle, or Gospel reading. Jesus Christ and the cross are the focus of our minister's sermons. Always.

Bonnie

But that's not what the Bible says. Jesus didn't go to the cross because He thought we were "worth it". If that were true, then what about us is "worth it", while the unregenerate aren't "worth it"?

The Bible says the opposite: that Christ died for us in spite of the fact that we were sinners, not because we were "worth it".

The cross is all about Jesus and His glory, not our worthiness.

As Adrian Rogers once said, "The only thing we contribute to salvation is the sin that made it necessary".
Well, we did NOT deserve to have Jesus go to the cross for us, that is true--that is pure grace, right there--but "for God so LOVED the WORLD that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life." And "God demonstrates His love for us, that while we were STILL sinners, Christ died for us."

I think the priest was saying Jesus thought we were "worth" the sacrifice of Himself on the cross because He loves us--warts and all. That, in Jesus' eyes, makes us 'worth it." Not because we merited His sacrifice, but simply because He loves us.

That is all I will say on this, as non-Catholics are not supposed to debate each other on here. Peace. :)

Bonnie

and that is how it should be! As a long time believer I still never get tired of hearing it. Most nights I go to sleep listening to a CD that starts out with 'The old rugged cross'.
It is the story that never grows old, isn't it? :) We can never tired of hearing of Jesus' love for us.

Bonnie

Addendum for Mike: I just wanted to point out that the priest ,when he pointed to the crucifix, did NOT say "He thought you were WORTHY of this," but "WORTH that." God thought we were worth everything, even the death of His Son, to pay for our sins. NOT because we were worthy of such a momentous sacrifice, which we were not, not, ever, but simply because He loves us.

Just clarifying. :)