I'd Like To Be A Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dant01

Before taking the plunge, I suggest taking time to think about a number of
liabilities associated with Catholicism.

Once someone is committed-- completed First Holy Communion and Confirmation -
God will be holding them accountable to comply with everything Rome teaches and
stands for: the Commandments, the Canon Law, the dogma, the rituals, the
Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the holy days of
obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the apostles
taught in the New Testament, i.e. the gospels and the epistles.

That's a lot to remember, let alone put into practice.

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into
consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time.
Mortal sins are that lethal.

In addition; the Divine judge isn't a political appointee like members of the US
Supreme Court, viz; He isn't biased towards the left or to the right, i.e. the justice
of God is fair across the board, so that affiliation with the Roman church grants no
one a certain amount of special consideration. (Rom 2:6-11, and 1Pet 1:17)
_

SPOKENWORD

Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the holy days of
obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the apostles

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into
consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time.

In addition; the Divine judge isn't a political appointee like members of the US
Supreme Court, viz; He isn't biased towards the left or to the right, i.e. the justice
of God is fair across the board, so that affiliation with the Roman church grants no
_
If you take the plunge you will be diving into Papal Bull. You might want to reconsider.

balshan

_
Hmm then I suggest you look at what there leaders do. Do they teach the true gospel, do they teach false doctrines, do they lie, what is the fruit of the RCC.

Really I think you need to look at their definition of what a mortal sin in, there are escape clauses in it.

romishpopishorganist

Once someone is committed-- completed First Holy Communion and Confirmation -God will be holding them accountable to comply with everything Rome teaches and stands for: the Commandments, the Canon Law, the dogma, the rituals, the Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the holy days of obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the apostles taught in the New Testament, i.e. the gospels and the epistles.

If it is so difficult for you, then don't become Catholic.

I have been Catholic for all 42 years of my life--and I have not had any trouble.

And while we are on the subject, I want to become Protestant--but there are liabilities associated with that. You know--TULIP, Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, the Commandments, the dogma, the Church services, the writings of the reformers and other Protestant theologians, the Protestant catechisms, the Commandments, and all this, coupled with the Scriptures themselves. That's a lot to remember, let alone put into practice.
And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time. Mortal sins are that lethal.

Yes, they are indeed. And you are right: one Mortal Sin wipes out all the years of Faith, etc.

Why this should bother a Protestant is unknown to me. Scripture explicitly says "Not all sin is deadly." (1 John 5:17) If not all sin is deadly, it logically follows that some sins are deadly. And if some sins are deadly, then there is your scriptural reference for Mortal Sin.

In any case, if we are saved by Faith alone, and we loose the saving virtue of Faith when we sin unto death, please explain why works would matter, or how else we can be saved. A sin unto death means we are dead. A dead Faith cannot save, can it?
In addition; the Divine judge isn't a political appointee like members of the US Supreme Court, viz; He isn't biased towards the left or to the right, i.e. the justice of God is fair across the board, so that affiliation with the Roman church grants no one a certain amount of special consideration. (Rom 2:6-11, and 1Pet 1:17)

That's true enough, but Catholics never said being Catholic gives someone special consideration.

I am not Catholic because I think being Catholic gets me special consideration from God. I am Catholic because Catholicism is true. I want to be where the truth is.

balshan

If it is so difficult for you, then don't become Catholic.

I have been Catholic for all 42 years of my life--and I have not had any trouble.

And while we are on the subject, I want to become Protestant--but there are liabilities associated with that. You know--TULIP, Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, the Commandments, the dogma, the Church services, the writings of the reformers and other Protestant theologians, the Protestant catechisms, the Commandments, and all this, coupled with the Scriptures themselves. That's a lot to remember, let alone put into practice.

Yes, they are indeed. And you are right: one Mortal Sin wipes out all the years of Faith, etc.

Why this should bother a Protestant is unknown to me. Scripture explicitly says "Not all sin is deadly." (1 John 5:17) If not all sin is deadly, it logically follows that some sins are deadly. And if some sins are deadly, then there is your scriptural reference for Mortal Sin.

In any case, if we are saved by Faith alone, and we loose the saving virtue of Faith when we sin unto death, please explain why works would matter, or how else we can be saved. A sin unto death means we are dead. A dead Faith cannot save, can it?

That's true enough, but Catholics never said being Catholic gives someone special consideration.

I am not Catholic because I think being Catholic gets me special consideration from God. I am Catholic because Catholicism is true. I want to be where the truth is.
Wanting to belong to a denomination is not what God requires. He wants you to be a member of His family, that means following Jesus and not man.

By the way you have shown you do not understand either Sola Scriptura or Sola Fide. There is not a lot to remember at all. God says He will write the word on our hearts. He brings to us what we need to do, to follow Him. There is not scripture which says you must join an denomination.

mica

What the RCC teaches about deadly sin vs nondeadly sin is false. But catholics don't bother to check scripture on it or research it. Unbelief is certainly deadly. Missing a man devised 'Mass' is not deadly. Sin is against God, not against the RCC.

it's catholics who believe works matter in being saved and catholics who claim multiple ways to be saved, not believers.

you claim it does - you claim to be born again.

It isn't His truth, so you aren't where His truth is. but you seem to be where RCC truth is. the problem with that is that the RCC is not God, is not Christ and does not teach the truth of salvation.

balshan

What the RCC teaches about deadly sin vs nondeadly sin is false. But catholics don't bother to check scripture on it or research it. Unbelief is certainly deadly. Missing a man devised 'Mass' is not deadly. Sin is against God, not against the RCC.

it's catholics who believe works matter in being saved and catholics who claim multiple ways to be saved, not believers.

you claim it does - you claim to be born again.

It isn't His truth, so you aren't where His truth is. but you seem to be where RCC truth is. the problem with that is that the RCC is not God, is not Christ and does not teach the truth of salvation.
Excellent points. Where in scripture does God say any sin is okay and you can go to heaven being a sinner. When a person repents do they say now God I repent of these sins because they stop me from going to heaven. In the old days if one even had a venial sin then you still had to confess it, now this weaker RC only needs those with grave sins to go to confession. Why have they changed this teaching. Let us be honest confession, last rites, works, the sacraments, purgatory are all back ups just in case Jesus did not do it all on the cross. It implies He did tell us the complete truth. Now we know Jesus did not lie, so that means these backups are not needed.

Acts 4:12

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.

Rom 10:10

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

We know works don't matter for salvation. However, once saved you change.

eph 2:8,9

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--
not by works, so that no one can boast.

RiJoRi

ROFLM-O!
That's your problem! In all my years as a Christian, I've never been given tests or quizzes or anything like that! All that "stuff" is secondary, if not tertiary. The reason for coming together is to fellowship with each other and with Jesus - you know, wherever two or more - and to worship our Savior, and to learn more about Him from His Word.

I've been to Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Methodist, Reformed Baptist, (and other Baptist) churches. They ALL worshipped Jesus, whether it was the more formal Lutheran or the less formal Pentecostal.

I will admit, though, unless Jesus has made a change in your heart, you will be bored out of your gourd!

balshan

ROFLM-O!
That's your problem! In all my years as a Christian, I've never been given tests or quizzes or anything like that! All that "stuff" is secondary, if not tertiary. The reason for coming together is to fellowship with each other and with Jesus - you know, wherever two or more - and to worship our Savior, and to learn more about Him from His Word.

I've been to Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Methodist, Reformed Baptist, (and other Baptist) churches. They ALL worshipped Jesus, whether it was the more formal Lutheran or the less formal Pentecostal.

I will admit, though, unless Jesus has made a change in your heart, you will be bored out of your gourd!
I had lots of test on the catechism and catholic beliefs at RCC primary and secondary school. Just a side note for those who have implied I don't know catholic teaching or that I was a poor student. I got great marks. But no test required at all otherwise. Of course when doing degree courses there were tests but those courses are not compulsory.

I like you have been to Salvation Army, Baptist, Pentecostal denominations and others and never tested. The only requirement was to follow Jesus and love Jesus.

God writes what He needs us to know on our hearts. Then it is up to us how deep we want to dive into His word. My husband who hates reading, does enjoy reading the scriptures.

Fellowship is important and there is nothing more interesting than to discuss the things of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.