I'd Like To Be A Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilgrim

Before taking the plunge, I suggest taking time to think about a number of
liabilities associated with Catholicism.

Once someone is committed-- completed First Holy Communion and Confirmation -
God will be holding them accountable to comply with everything Rome teaches and
stands for: the Commandments, the Canon Law, the dogma, the rituals, the
Traditions, the Councils, the Bulls, the Encyclicals, the rites, the holy days of
obligation, and the entire Catechism; plus everything that Jesus and the apostles
taught in the New Testament, i.e. the gospels and the epistles.

That's a lot to remember, let alone put into practice.

And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into
consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time.
Mortal sins are that lethal.

In addition; the Divine judge isn't a political appointee like members of the US
Supreme Court, viz; He isn't biased towards the left or to the right, i.e. the justice
of God is fair across the board, so that affiliation with the Roman church grants no
one a certain amount of special consideration. (Rom 2:6-11, and 1Pet 1:17)
_
"And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
one non-absolved mortal sin on the books, just one, they go straight to Hell. It's a
direct flight; no stopover in a Purgatory. Even if a Catholic managed to be a top
performer in faith and practice for fifty years, none of that will be taken into
consideration. They will leave this life as if they'd been a pagan the whole time.
Mortal sins are that lethal."

Looks like the Church conforms to John 15 better than Protestant denominations:

5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned.

10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.

mica

"And then there's the matter of mortal sin. When Catholics leave this life with just
Mortal sins are that lethal."

Looks like the Church conforms to John 15 better than Protestant denominations:

5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned.

10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.
note the Ifs.

is John 15 prior to or post the cross?

pilgrim

John 15:12 This is my commandment: that you love one another as I have loved you.
And if we love God and neighbor, we don't break commandments 1-10. For if we do with malice, we become the branch cut off of which Jesus warns us.

mica

And if we love God and neighbor, we don't break commandments 1-10. For if we do with malice, we become the branch cut off of which Jesus warns us.
those who aren't saved have no idea how much He loves us. They don't know Him in order to be able to love themselves or their neighbor.

I'm pretty sure you're getting your info from an OT vs (tho in the NT writings).

you haven't read (and/or understood) Paul's writings on keeping the commandments / the law. No one CAN keep them. so without being born again 'whosoever' is lost, try as they might to keep them all, they'll fail.

It's really too bad the RCC doesn't teach Paul's writings - and the truth of them. but then, it doesn't teach much of any truth even from the 12, the gospels, the OT books.

pilgrim

those who aren't saved have no idea how He loves us. They don't know Him to be able to love their neighbor.

I'm pretty sure you're getting your info from an OT vs (tho in the NT writings).

you haven't read (and/or understood) Paul's writings on keeping the commandments / the law. No one CAN keep them. so without being born again 'whosoever' is lost, try as you might to keep them all, you'll fail.

It's really too bad the RCC doesn't teach Paul's writings - and the truth of them. but then it doesn't teach much of any truth even from the 12, the gospels, the OT books.
1 John 3: 21 Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God; 22 and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. 24 All who keep his commandments abide in him, and he in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us.

balshan

1 John 3: 21 Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God; 22 and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. 24 All who keep his commandments abide in him, and he in them. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit which he has given us.
But this cannot happen unless you are saved.

romishpopishorganist

Sure you're not Italian? 'Though their "breaking of bread" is usually over the pasta. (I'm basically Anglo-Sax American, matured in Christ in an Italian Pentecostal church; Italian step-mother, so I know! )

Just do a word search for "fellowship" in the NT, and see how it's used.
That's "fellowship." "Fellowship" is different from worship.

Catholics do not just go to Church to "fellowship."

mica

yes, that is OT time, prior to the cross. Jesus and the 12 were Jews in OT time. the commandments were given to the Jews.
Jesus had not yet fulfilled all of the OT promises.
the gospel of grace was not yet revealed.

Nondenom40

"His" commandments, not 'the' commandments. Do a search for the commandments Jesus wants us to keep. Hint, its not the o.t. law.

RiJoRi

That's "fellowship." "Fellowship" is different from worship.
You haven't done your "homework"!
You said (post #27) :
"I was always under the impression that breaking bread was essential to 'fellowship' ... "

Fellowship is a LOT more than "breaking bread"; had you done your study, you would have seen that "fellowship" in some cases cannot involve food.

Catholics do not just go to Church to "fellowship."
Drop the "just" and I'd agree. The "after-Mass" at OLPH involved getting out and getting home ASAP in order to fill our empty tummies! :)

--Rich

pilgrim

"His" commandments, not 'the' commandments. Do a search for the commandments Jesus wants us to keep. Hint, its not the o.t. law.
And where did the ten commandments come from??? 🤔

They are the moral law that is inscribed in all hearts. We are obligated to God to follow them.

mica

From God. In the OT... to the Jews.

They are the moral law that is inscribed in all hearts. We are obligated to God to follow them.
Read Rom 2-6 over and over and over and over again until it begins to sink in. Then again read it over and over and over again. repeat and repeat as needed.

rom 3.20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin

rom 3.21

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

rom 3.27

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Rom 4.13

For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world,
was not to Abraham, or to his seed,
through the law,
but through the righteousness of faith.

Rom 4.14

For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

Paul speaking to believers -

rom 6.14
For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

SPOKENWORD

We as believers are under a new convenant. Jesus said we are to love God with all our hearts and to love our neighbor as we love our selves. When we do this we fulfill all the commandments .Matthew 22:36-40 36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: "'Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Status
Not open for further replies.