I'd Like To Be A Catholic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilgrim

Thats not what Jesus is referring to. If He had meant the law He would have said so.
Mark 10:17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth.” 21 And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 At that saying his countenance fell, and he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.

Nondenom40

Mark 10:17 And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” 20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth.” 21 And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 22 At that saying his countenance fell, and he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.
You cited the verses. How about applying some exegesis? Tell us what you think it means.

pilgrim

You cited the verses. How about applying some exegesis? Tell us what you think it means.
The rich young man asked how to attain eternal life. Jesus answers by mentioning the commandments. Simple.

(If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15)

20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth.” 21 And Jesus looking upon him loved him,

SPOKENWORD

The rich young man asked how to attain eternal life. Jesus answers by mentioning the commandments. Simple.

20 And he said to him, “Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth.” 21 And Jesus looking upon him loved him,
If we can be saved by the law Jesus died for no reason. The law exposes our sins and points us to Jesus. Salvation is a gift.

Nondenom40

The point of the passage is the young man didn't keep the commandments and Jesus knew it. "Give away all you have and follow me." He couldn't do it proving he did not keep even the first commandment. You will have no other gods before me. So the rich young man failed in keeping the commandments therefore did NOT have any shot at eternal life by keeping them. Which is what the bible routinely tells us. Believing in Jesus is what saves since HE is the only one that ever perfectly kept the law.

pilgrim

The point of the passage is the young man didn't keep the commandments and Jesus knew it. "Give away all you have and follow me." He couldn't do it proving he did not keep even the first commandment. You will have no other gods before me. So the rich young man failed in keeping the commandments therefore did NOT have any shot at eternal life by keeping them. Which is what the bible routinely tells us. Believing in Jesus is what saves since HE is the only one that ever perfectly kept the law.
He did keep them, for Jesus loved him.

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them." John 14:21

Nondenom40

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them." John 14:21
He didn't because he walked away sad because he was rich. He couldn't sell what he had and follow Jesus and then gain a reward in heaven. He loved his earthly treasures which fade away over heavenly treasures which are eternal. Yes I'm sure Jesus loved him but not due to his faithfulness to the law.

RiJoRi

Romans 5:8 [ISV] But God demonstrates his love for us by the fact that the Messiah died for us while we were still sinners.

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Though I fear this is wasted on a sola ecclesiast. :(

pilgrim

He didn't because he walked away sad because he was rich. He couldn't sell what he had and follow Jesus and then gain a reward in heaven. He loved his earthly treasures which fade away over heavenly treasures which are eternal. Yes I'm sure Jesus loved him but not due to his faithfulness to the law.
He walked away sad because he was asked to give all his possessions away and become one of Jesus' disciples.

Think for a minute. How many possessions do we have? How big are our houses to fit them all, and still we need to rent storage space? Are we really better than he is? Don't be too quick to judge him.

mica

yes, that was Jesus in OT time (as a Jew) speaking to a Jew. The Jews were still under the law at that time. Jesus never taught contrary to the spirit of the law.

again, pre the cross. He had not yet fulfilled the promises of the OT.

learn the timelines and why they exist.

mica

He walked away sad because he was asked to give all his possessions away and become one of Jesus' disciples.

Think for a minute. How many possessions do we have? How big are our houses to fit them all, and still we need to rent storage space? Are we really better than he is? Don't be too quick to judge him.
That depends. are those things more important that He is to you (whoever)? How did you acquire those things? thru ungodliness?
or are they blessings from Him? which way to you view them? do you have work 24/7 for them and ignore Him and His word? family? Who is priority in your life - Him or those things?

in those verses the 'he' valued those things instead of Jesus and following Him. Many things can be in our life that we put before Him - even something we today call 'religion'. If it isn't of Him then it is an idol that keeps one from Him.

Those things were priority in 'his' life instead of Jesus.

pilgrim

yes, that was Jesus in OT time (as a Jew) speaking to a Jew. The Jews were still under the law at that time. Jesus never taught contrary to the spirit of the law.

again, pre the cross. He had not yet fulfilled the promises of the OT.

learn the timelines and why they exist.
So Jesus' words before His resurrection don't mean that much today. Is that what you believe?

mica

So Jesus' words before His resurrection don't mean that much today. Is that what you believe?
No, they do if you keep them in the proper timeline - rightly dividing His word. Mixing things together from different timelines can cause a verbal (and spiritual) explosion.

What's the difference between the OC time and the NC time?

Did Jesus have a purpose for coming to earth in human form?

pilgrim

No, they do if you keep them in the proper timeline - rightly dividing His word. Mixing things together from different timelines can cause a verbal (and spiritual) explosion.

huh?

SPOKENWORD

Just like Catholics who are guilty of idolatry the rich man made money his god.

mica

mica said:

What in my post don't you understand? just the part in bold?

that explosion would be false teachings, false beliefs.

think of it as making a smoothie with 5 or more ingredients. after you run the blender do you really know (have a strong taste) what you put into it? if you gave some to another person who did not know what you put into it, would they be able to identify those 5+ ingredients?

His ministry on earth was to the Jews only. He spent time preparing them for what would come and to take His message (gospel) to the Gentiles. He came 1st to the Jews, then to the Gentiles. He was teaching as a Jew who upheld Jewish law (the spirit of it, not the letter of it). He sent the 12 to the Jews and then He called Paul to take His teachings to the Gentiles.

mica

Nondenom40 said:
He didn't because he walked away sad because he was rich. He couldn't sell what he had and follow Jesus and then gain a reward in heaven. He loved his earthly treasures which fade away over heavenly treasures which are eternal. Yes I'm sure Jesus loved him but not due to his faithfulness to the law

reread nondenom's post. read what scripture actually does say.

the rich guy walked away SAD... he was not happy to believe in Christ and follow Him. He valued his things more that Christ.

catholics value their RCC things more than Christ.

balshan

Speak for yourself. Jesus showed the man what he really loved and it wasn't Jesus, it was his possessions.

Nondenom40

I don't judge him, Jesus did. This passage isn't for you or me anymore than John 4 and the woman at the well is. Jesus knows their hearts and He tailored the gospel to their own situation. With the woman at the well He knew her life story and proved He was messiah by revealing that to her and she found salvation that day. With the rich young ruler, He knew he loved his possessions and gave him the chance to renounce them and follow God. He claimed to keep the commandments but couldn't part with his 'things'. He simply was giving lip service to Jesus. This doesn't mean you or I or anyone else has to sell everything and follow Jesus. In that context none of us can do that today anyway. He isn't literally/physically walking around today with His disciples. That story was for that one person. But we can all benefit from the lesson right?

Status
Not open for further replies.