If a poster rips off another poster's name

Torin

Like @4tune8chance, I don't think it's appropriate to hijack a username. I would resent it if that were done to me, so I don't think it should be done to someone else. It's also a bit dishonest (although not terribly dishonest), since people may mistake posts by the hijacker for the thoughts of the original poster who had the username.

Of course, "if" the "hypothetical" Christian poster was routinely rude to other people on the discussion board, that would render me unsympathetic to his or her "hypothetical" plight. But whether I'm sympathetic or not isn't really the issue here.

Authentic Nouveau

Like @4tune8chance, I don't think it's appropriate to hijack a username. I would resent it if that were done to me, so I don't think it should be done to someone else. It's also a bit dishonest (although not terribly dishonest), since people may mistake posts by the hijacker for the thoughts of the original poster who had the username.

Of course, "if" the "hypothetical" Christian poster was routinely rude to other people on the discussion board, that would render me unsympathetic to his or her "hypothetical" plight. But whether I'm sympathetic or not isn't really the issue here.
Are you going to call your atheeist imposter buddy a troll and suggest he banished or censored?

Why did you launch a rude thread?

Torin

Are you going to call your atheeist imposter buddy a troll and suggest he banished or censored?

Why did you launch a rude thread?
If I ran the forum, I would give you your old username back. I don't, though, so my opinion is neither here nor there.

I didn't call you a troll in the thread you're referring to. I said reasonable CARMites should stop talking to trolls. I did not name anyone specifically as a troll or ask for anyone to be "banished" or "censored" (so dramatic!).

If you identify as a troll, then, uh, stop being a troll.

docphin5

It seems no-one has anything to complain about then. Hypothetically, that is.
The practical lesson here is that in the contest of ideas, names an be easily replaced. The thing that matters most is the substance behind the name. Thus, our words clearly define who we are and that is most important.

treeplanter

How should we deal with this hypothetical situation:

A hypothetical Christian poster sets a record for number of posts on a hypothetical Christian discussion board. The content of his posts rankles a hypothetical atheist poster to the extent that when the hypothetical discussion board goes down and is replaced by a different format, he registers under the name used by the aforementioned Christian poster, thereby shutting out said Christian poster from being able to continue using that name he had been using for years.

Now obviously this hypothetical atheist made a hypothetically punk move motivated by nothing but spite and perhaps jealousy. To answer my question in the first paragraph above, I suppose any hypothetical reader of the hypothetical atheist's post should consider the source and dismiss the content as unworthy of consideration, regardless of whether the hypothetical atheist with the punk move hailed from Britain or America.
Hypothetically speaking, what if it were a self-confessed troll, one who freely and openly admits to posting for the sole and express purpose of "getting" another poster's "panties in a twist", who is now bringing to light a situation wherein one poster takes the username of another poster and questioning the ethicality of said act?

Would the hypothetical author of such an OP be any position, him or herself, to pass judgement on another poster?

Hypothetically speaking, I'd say that anyone who admits to engaging in the punk move of trolling hasn't a leg to stand on and ought just to keep his or her mouth shut lest he or she accidently insert his or her foot in his or her mouth!

5wize

How should we deal with this hypothetical situation:

A hypothetical Christian poster sets a record for number of posts on a hypothetical Christian discussion board. The content of his posts rankles a hypothetical atheist poster to the extent that when the hypothetical discussion board goes down and is replaced by a different format, he registers under the name used by the aforementioned Christian poster, thereby shutting out said Christian poster from being able to continue using that name he had been using for years.

Now obviously this hypothetical atheist made a hypothetically punk move motivated by nothing but spite and perhaps jealousy. To answer my question in the first paragraph above, I suppose any hypothetical reader of the hypothetical atheist's post should consider the source and dismiss the content as unworthy of consideration, regardless of whether the hypothetical atheist with the punk move hailed from Britain or America.
Having read the hypothetical posts of the hypothetical victim, he should just take on the name "Borat". It would be more suitable and clearer for everybody.

stiggy wiggy

Hypothetically speaking, what if it were a self-confessed troll, one who freely and openly admits to posting for the sole and express purpose of "getting" another poster's "panties in a twist", who is now bringing to light a situation wherein one poster takes the username of another poster and questioning the ethicality of said act?

Would the hypothetical author of such an OP be any position, him or herself, to pass judgement on another poster?

Hypothetically speaking, I'd say that anyone who admits to engaging in the punk move of trolling hasn't a leg to stand on and ought just to keep his or her mouth shut lest he or she accidently insert his or her foot in his or her mouth!

I agree 100%. A self-confessed troll has no business judging a cowardly troll who refuses to reveal his identity. "Judge not, that ye be judged," and don't get your undergarments inextricably tangled in the process. Tree, may I suggest Downy to help fluff up your tighty whiteys, thereby hindering further clothing clusters?