If aliens did exist, how would Roman Catholics handle it?

John t

I have been wondering about the theological consequences of extra terrestrial life for quite a while, and how that would issues like salvation and redemption. Of course, my viewpoint is from an evangelical prospective, But how would the RC folk deal with it?

Here is an article snip from Pocket https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...covery-of-alien-life?utm_source=pocket-newtab that I saw today. It is only a thread starter for you to express your opinion

In the first half of the 20th century, Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin suggested that original sin didn’t arise from the errors of two humans on Earth, but instead permeates the entire universe. He also suggested that Christ on Earth offers no redemptive value for any other beings anywhere else in the cosmos, and so aliens visiting Earth would not benefit from embracing Christianity. But Teilhard believed that Christ could become incarnate on different worlds, in forms appropriate for those places and beings....​
Brother Guy Consolmagno, a professional astronomer and a Jesuit who works for the Vatican Observatory, better reflect current Roman Catholic views on ET. Consolmagno believes that finding ET would not pose a problem for Roman Catholicism. He argues that there is only one Christ—the one who lived and died and was resurrected on Earth 2,000 years ago. If other beings in the universe suffer from original sin, then they will benefit from the life and resurrection of Christ on Earth. This theological approach also makes Roman Catholicism a universal religion and Earth the most important place in the universe.​
If Consolmagno’s views continue to be popular, Roman Catholic leaders might be compelled to convert ET at the first opportunity. This may also cause the minority members who agree with Teilhard to separate from the church.​

Nondenom40

I have been wondering about the theological consequences of extra terrestrial life for quite a while, and how that would issues like salvation and redemption. Of course, my viewpoint is from an evangelical prospective, But how would the RC folk deal with it?

Here is an article snip from Pocket https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...covery-of-alien-life?utm_source=pocket-newtab that I saw today. It is only a thread starter for you to express your opinion

In the first half of the 20th century, Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin suggested that original sin didn’t arise from the errors of two humans on Earth, but instead permeates the entire universe. He also suggested that Christ on Earth offers no redemptive value for any other beings anywhere else in the cosmos, and so aliens visiting Earth would not benefit from embracing Christianity. But Teilhard believed that Christ could become incarnate on different worlds, in forms appropriate for those places and beings....​
Brother Guy Consolmagno, a professional astronomer and a Jesuit who works for the Vatican Observatory, better reflect current Roman Catholic views on ET. Consolmagno believes that finding ET would not pose a problem for Roman Catholicism. He argues that there is only one Christ—the one who lived and died and was resurrected on Earth 2,000 years ago. If other beings in the universe suffer from original sin, then they will benefit from the life and resurrection of Christ on Earth. This theological approach also makes Roman Catholicism a universal religion and Earth the most important place in the universe.​
If Consolmagno’s views continue to be popular, Roman Catholic leaders might be compelled to convert ET at the first opportunity. This may also cause the minority members who agree with Teilhard to separate from the church.​
Catholicism isn't consistent. I'm sure ccc 1260 applies. If a good alien worships his/her/it's god according to its conscience best it can then the real God can bring'em up to heaven. Or, there was a time not too long ago the first alien that stepped off the ship would be compelled to worship bread at the point of a sword. Maybe thats why one hasn't actually landed during our lifetimes. And this is hypothetical, i do not believe in et.

John t

Yeah, it is obviously hypothetical. Even a cave man can see that... ;)

Nevertheless, it is fun to speculate, especially if the thread does not degenerate into a mud-slinging contest.

Nondenom40

Yeah, it is obviously hypothetical. Even a cave man can see that... ;)

Nevertheless, it is fun to speculate, especially if the thread does not degenerate into a mud-slinging contest.
I meant hypothetical for me not necessarily the topic, especially with all the alien talk going on these days. I myself don't believe in them. So for me, my answer was hypothetical..sorry for the confusion.

Walter Martin spoke of this year's ago under a different context. He was more in line with the guy that said Jesus is our savior. The alien might very well have their own. So they would be responsible for obeying their savior as we are responsible for obeying ours.

John t

While Evangelical theology and Roman Catholicism have different ways to be saved, is there any effect upon doctrine if we found ET??

Not trying to start a discussion on Evangelical theology on the RC forums (mods do not like that) but focusing on the current thinking of RC people on salvation, heaven, hell, etc. vis a vis this hypothetical is not against the rules.

CrowCross

Who says the pilots of the UFO's are alien?

Could they be fallen angels? That's where I have my money.

When there is real disclosure one would think they might say...Genesis is false. It is us who made/planted humans on earth. The events of the bible...and other faiths...were created by us. The pyramids, well, we made them also. oh, by the way, there is no heaven or hell.

How would the RC Church...as well as Protestant Denominations handle that?

romishpopishorganist

Truth be told, I do not know. I am not sure anyone knows.

Logically speaking----I do not believe there is any conflict with Christianity and the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life.

That being said--if aliens existed--I admit that would pose a challenge to my Faith---for reasons I am not even sure why!

JoeT

The existence of ET doesn't preclude that fact that the Heavens and earth, the entire cosmos, was created. As such ET would be, as we are, a creation of God.

Like the creationists, this world may not be the physical center of cosmos, it remains the center of life. With the known science in cosmology it is impossible for life to exist on any other planet for a host of different physical reasons. In spite of that, if ET did exist the distances between life bearing planets is so great it would be impossible for ET to get here from Ex-Terra (ET's planet). And, if they were smart enough to achieve to overcome the physical barriers they would know God directly, face to face, or through His revelations to them.

Consider this, if the first book of the bible is a lie then the whole of Scripture is a lie. Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus by virtue of Scriptures own tenets.

JoeT

John t

Consider this, if the first book of the bible is a lie then the whole of Scripture is a lie. Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus by virtue of Scriptures own tenets.

The first written book of the Bible is Job. Genesis is the first-placed book of Scripture; ot many know that; but you do now!

In all of Scripture, there is no mention of ET, or anything similar to him. Thus Scripture is silent about him. In no way can Scripture being silent on an issue prove anything other than Scripture is silent

Being silent about the existence of ET cannot be construed as being false. If you think about it, you will understand it.

pilgrim

Creation was made for man, and man was made for God.

I believe that man is unique to creation in that he has both body and soul, and that he was to dominate it (creation). Also, he named his wife Eve because "she was the mother of all living." So, I don't believe in ET.

balshan

Creation was made for man, and man was made for God.

I believe that man is unique to creation in that he has both body and soul, and that he was to dominate it (creation). Also, he named his wife Eve because "she was the mother of all living." So, I don't believe in ET.
Yet we have an RC bishop who claimed the moon as part of his diocese.

balshan

Yes. Part of the Great Commission.
LOL. Glad I had finished my cuppa before reading this.

Don't make me laugh. Your institution:
a. does not know what the great commission really is.
b. does not believe in it, did you forget your present pope is not going to try and convert muslims.

Oh but it will do the great commission on an unpeopled satellite.

Nic

At some point, a patron saint to aliens would be announced. 😄

Maxtar

They have already been here. For instance, how do you think a virgin got impregnated? How do you think Jesus rose up into the clouds? Burning and talking bushes anyone? Just some food for thought.