If atheism is so great, why would atheists who are highly educated leave?

SteveB

Calling what he's referring to "reality" is overly generous...
Considering that you don't actually know what reality is, I'm not bothered with your lack of experience.

We've been given the opportunity to engage YHVH on his terms, and he makes us aware of a reality beyond yours.

2Co 4:18 WEB while we don’t look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Whatsisface

Considering that you don't actually know what reality is, I'm not bothered with your lack of experience.
Considering you never clearly articulate your view of reality, it's clear you don't have a clear view.

We've been given the opportunity to engage YHVH on his terms, and he makes us aware of a reality beyond yours.
That you never accurately describe.

2Co 4:18 WEB[/B] while we don’t look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Bible quotes are pointless unless you can demonstrate that they are the word of God.

SteveB

Considering you never clearly articulate your view of reality, it's clear you don't have a clear view.
I've been articulating my views on reality since my arrival on this forum in November 2012.
As I recall you kept telling me that my detailed descriptions were too tedious for you to be bothered reading.

That you never accurately describe.
I've been accurately detailing it since my arrival on this forum in November 2012.

Bible quotes are pointless unless you can demonstrate that they are the word of God.
There you have it!

It's not that I've never articulated, never accurately detailed it.
Rather, it's that you don't want to know.

So, the onus is on your shoulders.

Whatsisface

I've been articulating my views on reality since my arrival on this forum in November 2012.
As I recall you kept telling me that my detailed descriptions were too tedious for you to be bothered reading.

I've been accurately detailing it since my arrival on this forum in November 2012.

There you have it!

It's not that I've never articulated, never accurately detailed it.
Rather, it's that you don't want to know.

So, the onus is on your shoulders.
You talk in the vaguest terms and when asked to be specific the excuses come thick and fast.

Eightcrackers

Just saw this article. You can indeed continue to argue that your "mere lack of belief" is a superior position, but the only thing you accomplish is to raise the question of why such intelligent people who have excellent educational backgrounds, and professions would cease not believing.

So, take your best stab at it.
They were convinced by reasons that don't convince me.
Easy.

SteveB

They were convinced by reasons that don't convince me.
Easy.
Indeed!
What I find curious is that the entire basis for atheism is ignorance.

Sometimes their ignorance is simply a matter of not being aware.
Others, it's deliberate and willful ignorance, a choosing to not know.

Which means that the latter is stupidity.

This is why the bible says that the fool has said there is no God.

Electric Skeptic

Indeed!
What I find curious is that the entire basis for atheism is ignorance.
What I find curious is that you continue to imagine that the entire basis for atheism is ignorance when you have been repeatedly told what the actual basis for atheism is - but of course, you ignore anything atheists tell you, and invent your own claims about it.

SteveB

What I find curious is that you continue to imagine that the entire basis for atheism is ignorance when you have been repeatedly told what the actual basis for atheism is - but of course, you ignore anything atheists tell you, and invent your own claims about it.
It's not the words that you post which I find evidentiary.

It's your actions that are the proof of the proverbial pudding that are the basis of my statement.

You can claim for a billion years that your unbelief is based entirely on logic, reasoning and rational thinking.

You can claim for a trillion years that it's based on the lack of experience.

In the end, the proof of your unbelief is that you have never actually done what Jesus said.

I do indeed believe that you have done some religious activity. I do indeed believe that whoever told you to do that religious activity was enough.

But the fact that you never actually met Jesus, this is proof that you never actually did what Jesus said.

Electric Skeptic

It's not the words that you post which I find evidentiary.

It's your actions that are the proof of the proverbial pudding that are the basis of my statement.

You can claim for a billion years that your unbelief is based entirely on logic, reasoning and rational thinking.

You can claim for a trillion years that it's based on the lack of experience.

In the end, the proof of your unbelief is that you have never actually done what Jesus said.
Blatantly false, unsupported.
I do indeed believe that you have done some religious activity. I do indeed believe that whoever told you to do that religious activity was enough.

But the fact that you never actually met Jesus, this is proof that you never actually did what Jesus said.
Nope.