If Jesus was teaching and preaching today..............

leonard03782

I have been an active member of CARM for more than a year and a half. And during that time, I have lost count how many times that I have heard rc's say that they follow Jesus. My question is this:
If Jesus was walking on earth today, teaching and preaching, what would be the attitude of rc's towards Him?
1) Would they drop everything where they stood and follow him?
2) Would they argue with Him, be openly antagonistic towards Him, and call Him an "anti-catholc" bigot?
3) Would they be indifferent towards Him and ignore Him?
4) Would they seek to crucify Him?
5) WHY?

balshan

I have been an active member of CARM for more than a year and a half. And during that time, I have lost count how many times that I have heard rc's say that they follow Jesus. My question is this:
If Jesus was walking on earth today, teaching and preaching, what would be the attitude of rc's towards Him?
2) Would they argue with Him, be openly antagonistic towards Him, and call Him an "anti-catholc" bigot?
5) WHY?
Well let me see.

First they would have to go to Peter or Paul and get permission. Next they would have to enlist the help of Mary, she would have to make her son talk to them. Next they would have to sacrifice Him in some form and then they would tell him that wasn't enough to save them as they hadn't done any work.

Just going by their current practices.

PeanutGallery

Well let me see.

First they would have to go to Peter or Paul and get permission. Next they would have to enlist the help of Mary, she would have to make her son talk to them. Next they would have to sacrifice Him in some form and then they would tell him that wasn't enough to save them as they hadn't done any work.

Just going by their current practices.
I think an apparition from the Queen of heaven and her message would be better received.

Teresa

5) WHY?
That's what the Church is fostering by eschatological study. The theology of the last things. The 2nd coming of Jesus and last judgment and heaven and hell.

That means contemplating the scriptures for what Jesus will look for in a soul and conforming ourselves to that by His grace.

Eph 5 6-10 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.

mica

The theology of the last things. The 2nd coming of Jesus and last judgment and heaven and hell. That's what the Church is fostering by eschatological study.

That means contemplating the scriptures for what Jesus will look for in a soul and conforming ourselves to that by His grace.

Eph 5 6-10 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
Is that what the RCC men in Rome are studying? or are your local priests teaching about it?

I haven't seen anything regarding that time posted here by a catholic that is correct regarding that time period. what about the rapture? is that included in their study?

when will they figure it out and pass on to catholics what they've decided is the truth about it? It's getting pretty late in time to not have figured it out yet.

That's been in scripture since the 1st C. If catholics wrote it why don't they know what it all means? there's been lots of yrs since the 1st C, what have the men in Rome been doing that's more important than understanding His word and knowing Him?

mica

5) WHY?
I think the majority would be in 2 thru 4. because what He'd be teaching and preaching would be contrary to what the RCC teaches.

#4 - they'd certainly do whatever they could to shut Him up and / or discredit Him. a new papal pronouncement would come out claiming it to be from the seat of Peter.

Teresa

Is that what the RCC men in Rome are studying? or are your local priests teaching about it?

I haven't seen anything regarding that time posted here by a catholic that is correct regarding that time period. what about the rapture? is that included in their study?

when will they figure it out and pass on to catholics what they've decided is the truth about it? It's getting pretty late in time to not have figured it out yet.

That's been in scripture since the 1st C. If catholics wrote it why don't they know what it all means? there's been lots of yrs since the 1st C, what have the men in Rome been doing that's more important than understanding His word and knowing Him?
I can point you to a good explanation if you would like to read it. The author is a convert to Catholicism and brings a perspective that we appreciate a lot. Because the liturgical readings and gospels have been ordered for the whole Church, the weekly homily is guided by the liturgical commission to reflect the eschatological aspect. The whole world of Catholics are getting the benefit of this each week.

I don't know what rapture is. It sounds like a theory of the doomsday cults?

mica

I can point you to a good explanation if you would like to read it. The author is a convert to Catholicism and brings a perspective that we appreciate a lot. Because the liturgical readings and gospels have been ordered for the whole Church, the weekly homily is guided by the liturgical commission to reflect the eschatological aspect. The whole world of Catholics are getting the benefit of this each week.

I don't know what rapture is. It sounds like a theory of the doomsday cults?

no, the rapture is scriptural.

I read a few paragraphs and this told me all I needed to know (tho it might be edited out if not allowed to be copied here)

06_Catholic Eschatology in a Nutshell — Sonja Corbitt (biblestudyevangelista.com)

"Catholic eschatology is what’s called “speculative theology.” This designation means little has been defined by the Magisterium concerning the end times, so the subject is open for speculation and development by Catholics seeking truth via Sacred Tradition (history) and Sacred Scripture. I attempt throughout the series to make clear what is public revelation and therefore part of the Deposit of Faith, and what is private revelation and not a matter of adherence. I do not present unapproved private revelation in this series."

and what I can only assume is a supposed catholic interpretation of 1 Tim 3.15

"In things of faith and morals, the true sense of Holy Scripture is held by the Church, whose place it is to judge the interpretation of the Scriptures (1 Tim 3:15); and it is permitted to no one to interpret Holy Scripture against such sense or against the unanimous agreement of the Fathers'( 34). What can be a greater sign of pride than to refuse to study the Books of the divine mysteries by the help of those who have interpreted them? "

1 tim 3 kjv -

15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

find someone who actually does teach the truth of scripture for bible studies. the above I quoted isn't from a bible study but from a ccc study.

leonard03782

That's what the Church is fostering by eschatological study. The theology of the last things. The 2nd coming of Jesus and last judgment and heaven and hell.

Perhaps I am just being dense. however, this reply has nothing to do with he question that I asked.

Arch Stanton

5) WHY?
1. Already do
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. He is my God!

mica

1. Already do
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. He is my God!
1 no you don't. you ignore His word and follow the RCC.

2 you do that now. no doubt you'd demand to speak with Peter. quote words from Matt 16 where you claim He put Peter in charge and tell Him that Peter is the leader of His church. When that doesn't work with Him you'd demand He check with Mary.

3 you're right on that. catholics wouldn't ignore Him, they'd argue against what He says and tell Him that the RCC is His church. and then tell Him to 'come home' to the RCC.

4 you already claim to do that in the Mass. you wouldn't be any different than the Jews of His day.

5 no, the RCC is. that is who / what you believe in and follow instead of Him and His word.

but I would hope that you'd drop to your knees before Him, beg His forgiveness, accept Him as Lord and Savior and be saved. And believe His word instead of that of man.
Why wait? He did come to earth once and when He left it He left behind a bunch of love letters for you to read. You are 'whosoever'. Read them.

Teresa

Teresa said:

Perhaps I am just being dense. however, this reply has nothing to do with he question that I asked.
I was giving a theological answer to your question. We are focused on being ready for when Jesus walks this earth again, our discernment and readiness. That is the purpose of eschatological theology.

balshan

I was giving a theological answer to your question. We are focused on being ready for when Jesus walks this earth again, our discernment and readiness. That is the purpose of eschatological theology.
If you are getting ready for Jesus' return, how is your institution going to explain the evil it has allowed to flourish and now it treated those victims. I think Jesus will want an honest answer.

Really it is not complicated how to be ready. Live today as if it is your last and you are meeting Him any minute. If you are in a relationship with Him that is how you are living.

Teresa

If you are getting ready for Jesus' return, how is your institution going to explain the evil it has allowed to flourish and now it treated those victims. I think Jesus will want an honest answer.
There will be many questions for individuals and I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of some when we meet Christ at judgment.

Really it is not complicated how to be ready. Live today as if it is your last and you are meeting Him any minute. If you are in a relationship with Him that is how you are living.
As I do every day.